Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
SD Reader suggestions

Hi;

Need a new reader, my old Sandisk read/writes at 5 MB/s

I dont' want to try 10 different ones before having a OK one.
Anybody has a suggerstion of a good USB3 reader ?

Thanks !

02-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Try to find one that has a deep slot. Some card readers have such shallow slots, they can't read the lock switch on the card.

I always lock my SD cards prior to inserting them in the reader connected to the computer. A locked card prevents the operating system of my computer from writing all its little housekeeping files to the card and eliminates the chance that the card's file system can be corrupted by the computer or by "improper ejection."

But that trick only works if the card reader can read the lock switch.

P.S. I only have an ancient USB2 reader so I can't help with a specific recommendation.
02-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recommend this Transcend which is USB 3.1 and accepts CF, SD and microSD. Plus it's cheap (15.99), well built and pretty good.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1497455-REG/transcend_ts_rdf8k2_all_i...981&
02-10-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4

Right, the readers that are the size of thumb drives don't detect the write lock tab. If you're using Windows you can set the card reader to read-only with Diskpart. Plug in the reader and set to read-only before inserting the card. You can do a Web search to find the commands to do this.

02-10-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always just bought the fairly inexpensive ones at micro center. I've purchased 2 over the last 16 years and that was only because thedouble sided sticky tape I used to attach the first one to the side of the old computer stuck a bit too good and when I went to take it off and put it on the new computer I broke it. I think they are made by Inland and cost like $7. I've never checked to see if they support the write/lock switch but I use linux and have it set to default mount those as read only
02-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #6

If you want to all out or future proof for a couple years you can get one of the few readers that support USB 3.1 gen 2. The get the best out of them you need hardware that supports gen 2 and cards that have fast enough speeds. The ProGrade Digital gets good reviews but clocks in at around $80 USD

Rather than use two sided tape you can buy magnetic strips with adhesive tape on them. Works great as long has you have a case that a magnet will stick to.
02-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you want to all out or future proof for a couple years you can get one of the few readers that support USB 3.1 gen 2. The get the best out of them you need hardware that supports gen 2 and cards that have fast enough speeds. The ProGrade Digital gets good reviews but clocks in at around $80 USD

Rather than use two sided tape you can buy magnetic strips with adhesive tape on them. Works great as long has you have a case that a magnet will stick to.
You mean like this one:

amazon.com: microSD UHS-II Dual-Slot Memory Card Reader by ProGrade Digital | USB 3.2 Gen 2 for Professional Filmmakers, Photographers & Content Creators NOT A Full-Size SD Reader IT is MICROSD: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A bit pricey at $80US but it is designed for professional SD card users and has the good features including a Gen2 cable (which you need to get the full capability of the reader - upwards of 50MB/s transfer speed).

02-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hi;

Thanks !
I really like this one. Maybe not as "future proof" as the ProGrade Digital, but it's cheap at $20, and I can't imagine needing anything faster for the foreseeable future. Currently available via Adorama, where 95 percent of reviewers have given it 5 stars:

https://www.adorama.com/kgfcrhs4.html?

One thing I like about it--in addition to its speed and reliability--is that the logo lights up when the SD card is mounted by the OS, and the light turns off when the card is unmounted, at which point it is safe to remove the card from the reader. It's just about idiot proof. It also plays well with Linux.

Dan
02-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hi;

Thanks !
Standalone or internal component? I have had very good luck with the Rosewill internal linked below...

RDCR-11003 - 3.5" 74-in-1 Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Port - Rosewill

Steve
02-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You mean like this one:

amazon.com: microSD UHS-II Dual-Slot Memory Card Reader by ProGrade Digital | USB 3.2 Gen 2 for Professional Filmmakers, Photographers & Content Creators NOT A Full-Size SD Reader IT is MICROSD: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A bit pricey at $80US but it is designed for professional SD card users and has the good features including a Gen2 cable (which you need to get the full capability of the reader - upwards of 50MB/s transfer speed).
Is micro-SD only?

Steve
02-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I recommend this Transcend which is USB 3.1 and accepts CF, SD and microSD. Plus it's cheap (15.99), well built and pretty good.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1497455-REG/transcend_ts_rdf8k2_all_i...981&
Also having good service from this one for a few years now.
02-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Standalone or internal component? I have had very good luck with the Rosewill internal linked below...
RDCR-11003 - 3.5" 74-in-1 Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Port - Rosewill
That's the one I use in my PC since a while, never had problems except when I unmount the SD-card the prober way and plug it back in,
it won't be found, I have to start the PC again. That is normal because it's not the SD-card which is unmounted but the complete card-reader!

For portable I use the simple Transcend USB3.0 TS-RDF5K, works well.

I use that one as well on my PC when I unmounted the cardreader and don't want to start the PC anew.

02-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the previous version with USB3.0, and use it daily since 2013. So, 8 years old and still good as new.
QuoteOriginally posted by mauri Quote
Also having good service from this one for a few years now.
02-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is micro-SD only?

Steve
Comes in different flavors: Dual SD UHS-II, CFast and SD UHS-II, CompactFlash and SD UHS-II and Dual microSD UHS-II. It comes with gen 2 cables. Supposed to have magnetic base on the cable so you can stick it to a metal case. Some reviews say the supplied cables are not gen 2. Some say they are. And of course you need a USB 3.1 gen 2 port on your device.

https://shop.progradedigital.com/collections/all
02-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That's the one I use in my PC since a while, never had problems except when I unmount the SD-card the prober way and plug it back in,
it won't be found,
I guess I have never done that...

Soooooo...I went upstairs to that computer with a couple of SD cards and gave it a try and had no problem with the following sequences:
  1. insert --> eject --> insert same again
  2. insert --> eject --> insert same again --> eject --> insert different
In both cases, the cards mounted just fine after the ejects. I should probably mention that the computer is running Win 8 7 sp1 with the original drivers that shipped with the reader. Rosewill has an updated driver pack that includes Win 10. I should also note that Windows reports the individual reader slots as removable media devices with assigned drive letters. The media is unmounted on eject, but resources remain allocated.

I have had very good luck with Rosewill computer/IT stuff.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Typo