Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #1

Infrared photo

Hi,

Recently saw some information on the web and want to try taking some infrared photos. Not preparing to convert my camera to IR but just plan to buy some IR filter (put in front of the lens) to see how things going. I have a K30 (aperture issue), K5 and K1. The information on the web suggest the camera should see some IR light (BY pressing the TV remote) otherwise it will not good for taking IR photos with the filter. I have try all my 3 Pentax camera and none of them see the TV remote IR light. Is anyone have experience on this ? thanks.

02-11-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you checking your cameras with the TV remote in a darkened room? Remotes don't (usually) give a very strong signal, so any ambient light is likely to hide the effect. This check will need to be made with LiveView, not through the viewfinder, of course
The K-5 will take infra-red pictures through an Ilford SFX, Wratten 89B or R72 filter (very dark red) but will really struggle with a visually opaque filter like a Lee or Wratten 87 … the older CCD sensors are much better in this respect with an unmodified camera.
Expect something in the region of six or seven stops of extra exposure necessary, eg. from 1/750 down to 1/8 @ f/4.5 or thereabouts with an R72 filter, so a good tripod can become a sensible accessory if you don't have a wide aperture lens.
I don't have a K-30 (or a K-1, I wish) so can't comment on those, but an unmodified K-5 will serve perfectly adequately within the parameters mentioned.
Enjoy

Last edited by kypfer; 02-11-2021 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
02-11-2021, 04:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Are you checking your cameras with the TV remote in a darkened room? Remotes don't (usually) give a very strong signal, so any ambient light is likely to hide the effect.
The K-5 will take infra-red pictures through an Ilford SFX, Wratten 89B or R72 filter (very dark red) but will really struggle with a visually opaque filter like a Lee or Wratten 87 … the older CCD sensors are much better in this respect with an unmodified camera.
Expect something in the region of six or seven stops of extra exposure necessary, eg. from 1/750 down to 1/8 @ f/4.5 or thereabouts with an R72 filter, so a good tripod can become a sensible accessory if you don't have a wide aperture lens.
I don't have a K-30 (or a K-1, I wish) so can't comment on those, but an unmodified K-5 will serve perfectly adequately within the parameters mentioned.
Enjoy
Plan to get a 720nm filter and thanks for the K5 and long exposure information, I understand its need to use the tripod.
02-11-2021, 04:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you have to use a tripod. Using my filter on the K50 I have exposures from 8 to 13 seconds. I have never used it on my K5, but I may try it this spring. Even when I can’t really see in the scene it will get focus. Pretty fun to mess with.

02-11-2021, 04:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
Plan to get a 720nm filter and thanks for the K5 and long exposure information, I understand its need to use the tripod.
Looking at the specifications here, Wratten number - Wikipedia , a 720nm filter may be a little too dark for a K-5 to operate well, I'd suggest a 690nm (SFX, 89B or R72) might be a better choice.
Certainly a 740nm (87) is too dark to be practical, with this camera, unless you limit yourself to long exposures on sunny days.
02-11-2021, 05:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Yes you have to use a tripod. Using my filter on the K50 I have exposures from 8 to 13 seconds. I have never used it on my K5, but I may try it this spring. Even when I can’t really see in the scene it will get focus. Pretty fun to mess with.
I just thinking the IR filter should like something as the high number ND filter, you can't see the scene thru' the viewfinder but still can see in the live view mode ??.
Also I think most of the IR photo will be landscape so mostly, the focus will be set to infinity. yes, just like to kill some of my time !

---------- Post added 02-11-21 at 05:25 AM ----------

Looking at the specifications here, Wratten number - Wikipedia , a 720nm filter may be a little too dark for a K-5 to operate well, I'd suggest a 690nm (SFX, 89B or R72) might be a better choice.
Certainly a 740nm (87) is too dark to be practical, with this camera, unless you limit yourself to long exposures on sunny days.
That Wratten number Chart is informative. Thanks

The good is I'm in HK and its very easy to get photo gears from China, and they are normally cheaper.
I can get a 720nm and a 680nm filter (62m thread) in around $25 US ea. If 720 needs too long exposure and turns out I like some more color on the photo, I'll get another 680nm filter.
02-11-2021, 05:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a k100d, k3 and kp. The k100d works fine without mods and the exposure is not long, you can handhold in bright sun. The k3 doesn't seem to work as well. With the k100d I am shooting blind since it doesn't have live view

If you search the 6mp and ccd clubs you will see examples from various members from unconverted cameras. You can pick up this generation of cameras often for less than $100

02-11-2021, 06:48 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 as well as the K100 & K200 all work with a 720 red filter. The K-30 will required the longest exposure. I also suggest doing a custom white balance before beginning to shoot.
02-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have a k100d, k3 and kp. The k100d works fine without mods and the exposure is not long, you can handhold in bright sun. The k3 doesn't seem to work as well. With the k100d I am shooting blind since it doesn't have live view

If you search the 6mp and ccd clubs you will see examples from various members from unconverted cameras. You can pick up this generation of cameras often for less than $100

Although the K100D doesn't have LiveView, it does have "Digital Preview", which can be set as an alternative function for the Depth-of-Field control, see p152 in the manual. I use this feature on my *ist DL2 very successfully
02-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-1 and got dismal results which is part of what convinced me to get a K-01 and have it converted to full-spectrum. The IR reject filter on the K-1 is pretty good and although I could get an IR photo, it needed full aperture and a long exposure. Full aperture is not desirable because you lose the larger depth-of field you need in IR shots. Liveview was basically useless and the image was so dim it prevented manual focusing for IR.

If you get serious about IR photography, you should consider a camera with the IR reject filter removed and replaced with a like thickness of optical glass (for accurate autofocus functioning). Choose a reliable source to do that, should you go that route.
02-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did some IR work with the K-3II and got reasonable results with a 720nm filter. However, I recently got a full spectrum K-01 and though I have not had the chance to use it much my test show much better / easier results.

So with a filter and tripod and some work you can get nice images with your k-5 or k-30. I've never tried the K-1.
02-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Although the K100D doesn't have LiveView, it does have "Digital Preview", which can be set as an alternative function for the Depth-of-Field control, see p152 in the manual. I use this feature on my *ist DL2 very successfully
thanks for the suggestion I will try it
02-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

found the K5 worked well with a Hoya R72 filter (720nm). can be processed for b&w or false colour images
02-12-2021, 01:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both, K100D and K110D are the only ones recommended to be used for IR without having to convert it.
Infrared fun with Pentax K100D
but those Pentax bodies seem to work as well:
- "istDS/2 (Samsung GX1s)
- K10D: Infrared Photography with a non-converted K10D - PentaxForums.com
- possibly the other *ist/Samsung GX versions + Samsung GX10

But Liveview is very useful for IR and we have great tutorials to convert either a K5 or a K30 for IR.

K-5 Full spectrum conversion (IR filter removal) - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-30 modifikavimas ? infraraudon?j? spinduli? kamer?

Here in this French forum you can see very well which effects you can have with different IR filter (converted only!):
Le comparatif des filtres IR - PHOTOGRAPHIE INFRAROUGE

Cokin Filters:
Cokin Creative Filter System
02-12-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #15

Capels Mill Rail-Canal Viaduct,Stroud,UK | IR using Hoya R72? | Flickr

St Cyrs IR | St Cyrs Church on the Stroudwater Canal. Taken ? | Flickr

a couple of false colour IR , Hoya R72 on Tamron Adaptall 35-70mm lens on K5iis in 2016, 13sec shutter speed