Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cleaning hot shoe, next step

It appears that my k3 needs the hot shoe cleaned. The flash is Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL. The flash will fire on my kp and k100d.

Initially the flash would not fire nor did the flash symbol appear in the lcd. I proceeded to clean the hot shoe with an eraser. Now the flash symbol flickers and I hear the beep when the flash and camera communicates. I was able to get it to flash once. But the connection keeps getting lost.

Options
1 continue to clean with an eraser and hope it continued to improve
2 rubbing alcohol or something else with a q tip
3 fine sandpaper
4 other

It is wr so it should handle 2? Sandpaper seems the most likely to damage?

02-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you cleaned the pins on the flash also? I’ve always used typewriter erasure pencils to polish them, usually brass under so don’t gouge with rough stuff

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The alcohol and q tip (a small brush would be best) should do fine, it is in most electrical contact cleaners, make sure it is dry before using, to make sure blow some compressed air through the shoe.
02-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

There are contacts on the side of the foot above the flat piece too. So clean the square part of the shoe as well. Any sort of abrasives should be avoided. If you want use a contact cleaner like DeOxit in the pen applicator. Be sure to wipe off the cleaner with a clean rag or tissue (lint free). Erasers leave crumbs which can get in places where you don't want them. I avoid using them as they can be abrasive too.

Check if the flash foot or hot shoe is loose.

02-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have always found that a pencil eraser does a very good job of cleaning electrical contacts.

It is just abrasive enough to remove all but the heaviest oxidation, but no so abrasive as to damage the underlying contact.

Just make sure that you blow away all the rubber particles that come off in the process.
02-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
It appears that my k3 needs the hot shoe cleaned. The flash is Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL. The flash will fire on my kp and k100d.
This flash was working fine less than two weeks ago. What changed?

External Flash - PentaxForums.com

Steve
02-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing that I am aware of has changed. The camera has not left the house, hot shoe cover on. The camera has not even been used much the KP gets used most of the time

02-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Nothing that I am aware of has changed. The camera has not left the house, hot shoe cover on. The camera has not even been used much the KP gets used most of the time
OK...so why is the camera suspect?

When you said the flash would not fire, did you mean no P-TTL, no X-sync (flash in manual mode), or something else? If "flash ready" does not show in the viewfinder and top/back LCD (means no dedicated flash/device detected*), the X-sync should still work at shutter speeds at or below 1/180s.

I suspect something subtle is causing this. I usually don't suggest a general reset, but it might be helpful to try doing so on the flash.

Steve

* "Flash ready" is a legacy feature that uses the right rear contact. If that contact is masked, the camera will not show flash ready and will ignore the "digital" contact such that automated features are not possible. See http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/technology/hot-shoe/ for shoe contact mappings.