Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 02:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Selling Pentax K50 to get Ricoh GR III ?

Hello,

I am not sure where to put this thread but here it goes...

Having the opportunity to buy a second hand Ricoh GR III (including viewfinder, extra battery, leather case, screen protection) at a 30 % reduction (€650 instead €870 for a brand new one), I am thinking to sell my Pentax K50.
The reason therefor is that I own a Pentax K1 Mark II for the more elaborate photographic efforts. A compact camera would be a good asset for quick, swift photography when being for instance on a bike tour.

From your experience is there any reason to keep the K50 and not buying the Ricoh GR III? Or do you suggest to take the step and go ahead?
I am on a tight budget and I see no reason to have a K50 collecting only dust instead of nice pictures...

Any other remarks or suggestions are welcome!

Have a good day

02-18-2021, 03:29 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am always willing to part with gear I don't use in order to get gear I will use.
02-18-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeromebertrem Quote
Hello,

Having the opportunity to buy a second hand Ricoh GR III (including viewfinder, extra battery, leather case, screen protection) at a 30 % reduction (€650 instead €870 for a brand new one), I am thinking to sell my Pentax K50.
The reason therefor is that I own a Pentax K1 Mark II for the more elaborate photographic efforts. A compact camera would be a good asset for quick, swift photography when being for instance on a bike tour.

From your experience is there any reason to keep the K50 and not buying the Ricoh GR III? Or do you suggest to take the step and go ahead?
I am on a tight budget and I see no reason to have a K50 collecting only dust instead of nice pictures...

Have a good day
I have never owned a Ricoh GRIII but I read about problems with dust on the sensor, the camera needs to be sent it for that.

I'd rather buy a K-S1 with the DA40XS and/or DA21.

But of course the size and weight is still different.

A friend uses the Sigma DP2 Merrill (30mm/2,8 lens but fix!)

I had a chance to used to borough it: Image quality is great (RAW only with Sigma PhotoPro though!)
It is a very basic camera which is slow in processing, only usefull for ISO 100-200 but otherwise I like it very much.

But one disadvantage which I find difficult to live with:
The LCD is as sensitive to sunlight as I remember it from the Pentax K-01 and in bright sunlight with glasses on one has to guess,
that bad reflection is. IMO this is going to be more and more a problem because when the sun is out it is brighter then it ever was!
It's about 3 years ago when I gave up my K-01 for the K-S1 for and this was one of the reasons.

The seperate Viewfinder is kind of o.k., an aid, but nothing more.
I guess that applies as well to the viewfinder of the GRIII

Of course, the K-S1 can be found only 2nd hand but on Amazon Germany there are good offers.
The K-S1 can have the same "dark-image-syndrom" as the K-50 but the repair is easy and straight forward
if ever it would happen.
02-18-2021, 04:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

K1 in crop mode has same resolution than K50. Besides, K50 has a AA filter and is cursed by solenoid issue, which worsen with non usage. Sell your K50!

02-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
K1 in crop mode has same resolution than K50. Besides, K50 has a AA filter and is cursed by solenoid issue, which worsen with non usage. Sell your K50!
Thanks for your advice!

Any opinion on the Ricoh GR III or any other similar camera?

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am always willing to part with gear I don't use in order to get gear I will use.
Parting with a first Pentax DSLR seems harder than it is...
02-18-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Personally I'd see a K-50 as much more useful than a GR III but as you already have a K1 I suppose that strengthens the argument for something different. Ask yourself if you use the K-50 much, already having the K-1.

Personally, I'd take an X-100 series camera over a GR any day as the focal length is significantly more useful, but if you like 28mm equivalent then that's up to you.
02-18-2021, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe you are thinking straight here. Having the K-1 solves the problem , covering any (imho) still concept except street etc. that's where the GRIII comes in. Lightweight and capable.

02-18-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Hello,

Have a good day
I've not touched my K-3 II since bying a K-1 and GR II*. The only warning I can give you is that the GR might impact your K-1 shooting. It becomes quite difficult to bring the K-1 when you can instead just bring the GR... Even making an effort to use the K-1 the GR has taken over.

* not strictly true
02-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K1 mkII and the GRIII are the 2 cameras I use most - very different beasts, with the GRIII being so pocketable that you can take it anywhere and the images it can produce are superb. As has been said earlier - your K1 cropped is equivalent to the K50, so think to yourself "On this trip would I prefer to take a lightweight compact with great IQ or a bulkier but more flexible K50?"
02-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I believe you are thinking straight here. Having the K-1 solves the problem , covering any (imho) still concept except street etc. that's where the GRIII comes in. Lightweight and capable.
Thank you! Indeed I also feel like it's a good balance between the portable and quick GR III and the more extensive possibilities of the K1.

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I've not touched my K-3 II since bying a K-1 and GR II*. The only warning I can give you is that the GR might impact your K-1 shooting. It becomes quite difficult to bring the K-1 when you can instead just bring the GR... Even making an effort to use the K-1 the GR has taken over.

* not strictly true
I can imagine! Better not make it a habit then and challenge yourself by using your K-1 more! ;-)
02-18-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are not using it go ahead and sell it, but be aware you won’t get much for it due to age and possible aperture block issues. Do your research and make sure you don’t pay too much for the GR, it’s a buyers market in used camera gear. Is there any kind of warranty or period where you can return it? Just in case
02-18-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-01 and two Q7s with all the lenses. I bought my GRIII last October and I love it. Frequently, instead of carrying 2 DSLRs, I carry the K3II with my DA*50-135 and the GRIII has a second camera. Regardless, the GRIII is almost always with me relagating the K-01 and Q7s* to the cabinet. Buying the GRIII is one of the best decisions I’ve made.

*I do occasionally take a Q7 out to play with the Fish Eye, the toy lenses or lens shield for giggles but not for general photography.
02-18-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you are not using it go ahead and sell it, but be aware you won’t get much for it due to age and possible aperture block issues. Do your research and make sure you don’t pay too much for the GR, it’s a buyers market in used camera gear. Is there any kind of warranty or period where you can return it? Just in case
There is no warranty of the seller.

However there is still guarantee of the original seller. I have found another GR III offer which includes the wide conversion lens GW-4 and lens adapter and has still 8 months of guarantee.

Last edited by jeromebertrem; 02-18-2021 at 07:00 AM.
02-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Parting with a first Pentax DSLR seems harder than it is...
I understand how you feel. I still have a K100d that I just can't part with, even though I've been using a K3 for 6 years.
02-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Not sure it's for everyone, but it is for me. I got the GR III when it was released, and I really like the camera. Street photography is one thing it's good at, but for me it's much more than that. I've had point and shoots before, but this is different because of the controls and speed. I find it complements my k1ii very nicely in how different it is, in fact I'd probably let go of the K1 if I had to choose only one...

Last edited by aaacb; 02-18-2021 at 08:46 AM.