Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Not sure it's for everyone, but it is for me. I got the GR III when it was released, and I really like the camera. Street photography is one thing it's good at, but for me it's much more than that. I've had point and shoots before, but this is different because of the controls and speed. I find it complements my k1ii very nicely in how different it is, in fact I'd probably let go of the K1 if I had to choose only one...
Daring remark for some but logic for me!

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 05:39 PM ----------

Thank you all for your input!

What has been decided: the Pentax K50 has to go with a slight tear in the eye. Even tough it's my first Pentax DSLR, it will serve someone better than just collecting dust!

Now the last question, which option below would you choose and why?

First Ricoh GR III - € 650 (negotiable)
  • Leather half case
  • Viewfinder
  • Screen protection
  • Extra battery
  • Fairly new, also bought second hand but with warranty

Second Ricoh GR III - € 620 (negotiable)
  • GW-4 wide angle lens + lens adapter
  • 32 gb memory card
  • camera pouch
  • extra battery
  • Few months old (20 shoots) + warranty of 8 months

02-18-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Get the GR III. It is a great carry-everywhere camera and wonderful companion to your K-1. Sell your idle K-50.

My GR (the first APS-C model) gets used mostly for:
  • Candid street photography: The GR is so small that people don't react to it like they would to a bigger DSLR. The small size also means I'm more likely to have the GR with me for unexpected opportunities. I greatly prefer the controls and image quality compared to a smartphone.
  • Day trips with non-photographers: Friends get impatient if they have to keep pausing while I take my K-1 from my backpack, swap lenses, etc. I just use the GR in such situations and accept the limitations of having a single focal length.
  • 2nd body to carry with the K-1: The K-1 is my usual landscape camera. For wildlife, though, I keep a telephoto lens on the K-1, and use the GR for wider photos instead of frequently swapping K-1 lenses.
02-18-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeromebertrem Quote
...Now the last question, which option below would you choose and why?...
I would pick #2. Both cameras are relatively new, have some warranty, extra battery, and similar prices.

Camera pouch (instead of leather half case): Hopefully this pouch includes a belt loop because that's a great way to keep the GR accessible. Half-cases offer minimal protection.

GW-4 wide angle lens + lens adapter (instead of viewfinder): Either accessory spoils some of the GR's tiny size but I think the wide angle lens would get more use for me. I've never missed having a viewfinder on my GR; I usually shoot from the hip or chest for street photography with the option of cropping later.

Only the 2nd GR mentions a memory card. 32GB cards are inexpensive, though, so not a big factor, but it does further swing the cost advantage to #2.
02-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any opinion on the Ricoh GR III or any other similar camera?
They are what they are. For the price of a GR III I would be looking at a KP, unless you are truly interested in an excellent fixed focal length pocket street camera without viewfinder. The GR III has not been on my radar, primarily because I use film cameras for the same genres.

Steve

02-18-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I am not sure where to put this thread but here it goes...

Having the opportunity to buy a second hand Ricoh GR III (including viewfinder, extra battery, leather case, screen protection) at a 30 % reduction (€650 instead €870 for a brand new one), I am thinking to sell my Pentax K50.
The reason therefor is that I own a Pentax K1 Mark II for the more elaborate photographic efforts. A compact camera would be a good asset for quick, swift photography when being for instance on a bike tour.

From your experience is there any reason to keep the K50 and not buying the Ricoh GR III? Or do you suggest to take the step and go ahead?
I am on a tight budget and I see no reason to have a K50 collecting only dust instead of nice pictures...

Any other remarks or suggestions are welcome!

Have a good day
The GR III is a fantastic camera. I got it as soon as it was available in the US and have used it since. However... these cameras aren't without issues which sometimes need to be addressed by repairs. I personally used both years of my warranty (one-year extended through my Visa credit card) and when that was all through, I sold my first one at a lower price and bought another, with the 3-year extended secondary warranty. My rear dial had problems and my sensor needed a cleaning during those first two years. You might get lucky and never need anything, but I personally feel for such a pricey small camera that is designed to go with me everywhere, I wanted backup protection.

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are what they are. For the price of a GR III I would be looking at a KP, unless you are truly interested in an excellent fixed focal length pocket street camera without viewfinder. The GR III has not been on my radar, primarily because I use film cameras for the same genres.

Steve
Mt KP and my GR III, despite having nearly identical sensors, are polar opposites.
02-18-2021, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Once again, I am mystified by all these answers to your (very general) question, without anyone knowing what you actually prefer to shoot or take pictures of? Since I am mostly a travel and landscape photographer, the second GRIII choice with ultra-wide lens would be a good complement to a 28mm FF equivalent, but that may or may not be your emphasis? If you took mostly portraits and macro shots, my recommendation would be completely different - a nice and light Pentax macro lens to go along the very light 18-50mm pancake, a prime, and/or the Pentax 20-40mm lens with your K50, for example. I have the K30, which has 25K+ shutter actuations. and travel light with the 18-50mm pancake zoom and a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. Suspicious of option one that is being sold for the second time, or maybe the GRIII is not the be-all, end-all camera for everyone...
02-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Mt KP and my GR III, despite having nearly identical sensors, are polar opposites.
Exactly my point.

Steve

02-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The GRIII in particular would give the K-1 images a run for their money. It's basically pin-sharp and renders beautifully. I don't think you'll regret it if you have the change to get one.
02-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I've had point and shoots before, but this is different because of the controls and speed
The size of the camera, along with the ability to control every aspect of the Triangle for image making, make the GRIII a very attractive camera, and then There is this PF thread full of images that convince me that this will be my next camera purchase