Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ZX-L after a generation

Hello All, I have tried to resurrect my previously working "ZX-L" after more than 15 years. Got two fresh sets of CR-2 batteries and fresh roles of film. Upon replacing with new batteries "most" of the controls seem to work except actuation of shutter release. It makes a feeble machine whirring noise when shutter release button is completely depressed (auto focus works. tried with old and relatively new lenses). Another control that does not work is the date/time LCD. Anything else I could do to get it back to taking pictures? Thanks.

02-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

hate to say it and hopefully i am wrong but that whirring is likely the gear gave it up
02-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Hello All, I have tried to resurrect my previously working "ZX-L" after more than 15 years. Got two fresh sets of CR-2 batteries and fresh roles of film. Upon replacing with new batteries "most" of the controls seem to work except actuation of shutter release. It makes a feeble machine whirring noise when shutter release button is completely depressed (auto focus works. tried with old and relatively new lenses). Another control that does not work is the date/time LCD. Anything else I could do to get it back to taking pictures? Thanks.
sounds like a stripped gear it might have seized up while sitting then stripped when it tried to function again

Last edited by nitehntr; 02-21-2021 at 04:06 AM.
02-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you want/plan to get it repaired, you can get the replacement gear here:

ipernity

02-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It does sound like the mirror gear. Literally. That’s the sound the camera makes when it dies.

The data back uses a different battery, so replacing that is easy and only requires a tiny screwdriver. The backs of the MX/ZX family are also interchangeable, so if you find a different body without the date function, they’re easy to swap.

-Eric