Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

Lens or ABF?

I have a Pentax K-70 and two Pentax DA lens; 18-135 and 55-300. If I take pics with the 18-135 the pics are extremely dark but if I use the 55-300 lens the pics are fine. Is the 18-135 lens the issue or the camera?

02-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If your 55-300 is the PLM version it is probably aperture block failure in the camera. The PLM lens is a newer design and doesn't use the same aperture system as older lenses so it is not affected. Is it the PLM?

Also maybe post some pics with the EXIF intact.
02-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
newest to oldest

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR

SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, the 55-300 is the PLM WR RE..
Since my camera is out of warranty what's the best place to reair it?

02-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
I took a look at your gallery what lens are you using for your bird pics? I have a brother who is a falconer and need to upgrade my len(s)...
02-23-2021, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

If the K-70 works correctly with the 55-300 PLM but not with the 18-135, your body probably faulty (aperture block failure). I doubt the 18-135 itself would be defective. There is a small lever at the back of the lens. Try to push it gently, and look inside the lens. Pushing the lever on the side should open the aperture. If it works, your lens is fine. If the lever is missing or move freely without moving the aperture, your lens is broken.

Cameras suffering from aperture block failure will only works correctly with KAF4 lenses (like the 55-300 PLM, but they are very few of them), and lenses with aperture ring (off the A position).

If you can handle some soldering, ordering a white solenoid and try to fix it yourself is your best bet for a less costly and permanent solution of this problem : Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
02-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope you have it fixed soon. How long ago was the camera purchased?

02-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JustJon Quote
I have a Pentax K-70 and two Pentax DA lens; 18-135 and 55-300. If I take pics with the 18-135 the pics are extremely dark but if I use the 55-300 lens the pics are fine. Is the 18-135 lens the issue or the camera?
Hi @JustJon, I have the K-70 with both the 2 lens' you mentioned although my 300 is the "old" style when it failed with the ABF issue I sent it in for repair but Photogem has posted an excellent tutorial as above if you are inclined to DIY or here are the repair sites!
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com
02-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Since my camera is out of warranty what's the best place to reair it?
QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic here in Topeka KS and I recommend him

https://phototronic.biz/
02-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Hope you have it fixed soon. How long ago was the camera purchased?
I bought it in the Spring of 2019 for my Oregon trip
02-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
If the K-70 works correctly with the 55-300 PLM but not with the 18-135, your body probably faulty (aperture block failure). I doubt the 18-135 itself would be defective. There is a small lever at the back of the lens. Try to push it gently, and look inside the lens. Pushing the lever on the side should open the aperture. If it works, your lens is fine. If the lever is missing or move freely without moving the aperture, your lens is broken.

Cameras suffering from aperture block failure will only works correctly with KAF4 lenses (like the 55-300 PLM, but they are very few of them), and lenses with aperture ring (off the A position).

If you can handle some soldering, ordering a white solenoid and try to fix it yourself is your best bet for a less costly and permanent solution of this problem : Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
+1. ^ what he said.
02-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought it in the Spring of 2019 for my Oregon trip
So no more warranty I guess.

If warranty, I recommend usually to send it in because if you apply DIY you lose the warranty.

I had warranty on my K-70 when it developed ABF but I chose the best solution because I know the Japan-Solenoid is just that bit better

and the K-70 is that bit faster. So I took the risk. And yet, the KP was the camera I used and use most of the time so I sold the K-70.

You can check as well here:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

The tutorial:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

It is not that difficult, the K-70 is a great body (even can have a few advantages over the KP)

and worth doing it.
02-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like we're seeing more posts lately of this problem with the K-70. I guess Ricoh Pentax did not upgrade the solenoid quality after all. I agree, the DIY solution is the best way to go with a lightly-used, near new K-70!
02-23-2021, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Seems like we're seeing more posts lately of this problem with the K-70. I guess Ricoh Pentax did not upgrade the solenoid quality after all. I agree, the DIY solution is the best way to go with a lightly-used, near new K-70!
Of course we cannot really know because time will only show.

But it seems now a few more K70's are hit by the ABF problem.

But at least as far as I know from a dealer (selling all major brands) it is far from how it was with the K30/50.
They told me the K30 was the bestselling entry-level of all Pentax DSLRs: It sold like hot cakes.

So we have also a much higher rate with K30's:
In a German Pentax forum there is a ongoing poll for members.
Of course such a poll can be manipulated and does not show all.
And yet, in that forum many stay very loyal to Pentax and those who have registered but only wrote 1 - 3 posts polled as much positiv as negative!
The results:

Hit by ABF:

K30: 68% !!!
K50: 48%

Not included those who were hit double, i. e. had a second ABF after it was repaired (with the green solenoid)
One could poll only once.

I would even guess that some members in that forum who were hit but are very loyal and had strongly argued against it being something more than an average problem did not poll! Human psyche works like that, once you took strong sides you stick with it. Very well comparable with politics. That's simply based on mixing up intelligence with cleverness. Cleverness is automatic but can pretend to be intelligent. Intelligence needs a certain freedom (and readyness to accept conflict as something normal)

Last edited by photogem; 02-26-2021 at 10:52 AM.
02-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Of course we cannot really know because time will only show.

But it seems more K70's are hit my the problem.

But at least as far as I know from a dealer (selling all major brands) it is far from how it was with the K30/50.
They told me the K30 was the bestselling entry-level of all Pentax, it sold like hot cakes.

So we have also a much higher rate with K30's:
In a German Pentax forum there is a ongoing poll for members.
Of course such a poll can be manipulated and does not show all.
And yet, in that forum many stay very loyal to Pentax and those who have registered but only wrote 1 - 3 posts polled as much positiv as negative!
The results:

hit by ABF:

K30: 68% !!!
K50: 48%

Not included those who were hit double, i. e. had a second ABF after it was repaired (with the green solenoid)
One could poll only once.

I would even guess that some members in that forum who were hit but are very loyal and had strongly argued against it being something more than an average problem did not poll! Human psyche works like that, once you took strong sides you stick with it. Very well comparable with politics. That's simply based on mixing up intelligence with cleverness. Cleverness is automatic but can pretend to be intelligent. Intelligence needs a certain freedom (and readyness to accept conflict as something normal)
My thoughts as well, (more units sold) could me more failures reported, but on the bright side if you just bought it recently you have the opportunity to buy extended warranty and get the k-70 at a better price now than when it was first launched!