Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f2.5 (01B) (needs adapter for K or M42) or the Adaptall 24mm f2.5 (CW-24) (better for M42 than K).

Sigma Super-Wide or Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 (m42 version)

Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tamron Adaptall 24mm f/2.5 (CW-24) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5 (01B) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

If you want ultra-wide on the Spotmatic the Adaptall-2 SP 17mm, which is just wide on the K-5.

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm f/3.5 (51B/151B) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-23-2021 at 06:26 PM.
02-23-2021, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma 10-20mm works well for me and can be purchased used at a reasonable price.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 02-23-2021 at 05:40 PM.
02-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Have seen everything from 11mm to 48mm with f stops all over the place.and I just don't know enough about photography to even know if I really need one.
First consideration- at 18mm is your present lens wide-angle enough to meet your needs? At that setting, the maximum aperture available will be f/3.5, so is that a large enough aperture to meet your needs (smaller number = larger aperture), or do you find you must often crank up the ISO sensitivity really high to achieve the necessary shutter speed for hand held shots in low light, or for moving subjects? It won't be easy or cheap to find a WA lens that can bring a larger aperture than that. You'd need the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 to get a little more shutter speed, (a very fine, premium WA zoom lens) or go to a 3rd party MF prime lens. If you do many shots that include linear subject matter, like architectural exteriors, interiors, cityscapes, etc. you'll want a lens having low linear distortion, so the edges do not bow or bulge. (Perspective distortion is a different matter, and with WA lenses far more prominent, having to do with the angle of the shooting position to the subject, as well as distance. Example- buildings appearing to be leaning.) As to liner distortion, a good WA zoom lens can achieve near absent distortion by using settings in the middle portions of their zoom range.

One problem is the more reasonably-priced WA zoom lenses for Pentax, if you don't need the f/2.8 aperture of the DA* 11-18mm lens), have been recently discontinued. But you could possibly still find a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, or a less-aperture Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5-5.6, or a Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 used in fine condition. With these lenses, you'd get superior image quality compared to your 18-55mm lens, a much wider angle, as well as virtually absent linear distortion at 18mm, where your present lens exhibits considerable distortion. This distortion may not be evident in landscape nature shots without prominent buildings or other linear objects.
02-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your 18-55 is moderately wide on the K-5, but it will obviously be useless on your Spotmatic.

If you want something you can use on both, it gets pretty hard. Screw mount ultra-wides are rare, generally expensive and if my SMC Takumar 15/3.5 is anything to go by, not easy to get great results from.

Sticking with APS-C digital then, I can only echo the recommendations for the DA 15/4.0 Limited. It is relatively inexpensive, tiny, and has uniquely wonderful rendering.

02-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I will say that there is a 'trick' to getting a good result with the 18-55 at 18mm. Make sure it's aperture is kept between f/5.6 and f/8. Shooting at f/3.5 gets a bit dull looking results as does closing down beyond f/11.
At f/5.6, it's pretty good. It's also a pretty impressive lens if you move just a little bit away from 18mm, say 21-24mm range (approx.), where it sharpens right up. So, it's actually a nice walk around 21mm lens if you apply some "imaginary duct tape" to the zoom control.
Attached Images

02-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
DA 21 Limited would be my suggestion...
+1, it's not really wide on a K-5, but its image quality is so good, everyone should own a copy.

You could try a DA 10-17mm zoom, on a K-5 it will suit as a fisheye at the 10mm end, and it's practically a distortion free wide angle on the 17mm end. The image quality is amazing, IMO.

I've also used a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on the K-5 and I really liked the results. These lenses are not to all tastes, but can often be found here on PF for very good prices.

I though my preference was for WA lenses, but after reviewing several years of images, I realized that even though I might use a WA lens, I often end up cropping tightly to isolate or emphasize what it was in the scene that caught my eye subconsciously . Several others asked good questions about why you might want a WA, or how to determine if you really would use a WA considering your own preference or style. Some people use anything from a 28mm to an 100+mm and stitch multiple frames in post processing to get a sharp panorama without a WA.
02-23-2021, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
+1, it's not really wide on a K-5, but its image quality is so good, everyone should own a copy.

You could try a DA 10-17mm zoom, on a K-5 it will suit as a fisheye at the 10mm end, and it's practically a distortion free wide angle on the 17mm end. The image quality is amazing, IMO.

I've also used a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on the K-5 and I really liked the results. These lenses are not to all tastes, but can often be found here on PF for very good prices.

I though my preference was for WA lenses, but after reviewing several years of images, I realized that even though I might use a WA lens, I often end up cropping tightly to isolate or emphasize what it was in the scene that caught my eye subconsciously . Several others asked good questions about why you might want a WA, or how to determine if you really would use a WA considering your own preference or style. Some people use anything from a 28mm to an 100+mm and stitch multiple frames in post processing to get a sharp panorama without a WA.

the DA 10-17mm zoom is just an awesome lens; I suggested the DA21 Limited mainly as a possible stop-gap lens....

it's wide enough to give you a taste, plus the factor of as a used lens you can get one just about anywhere....

02-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
The Sigma 10-20mm works well for me and can be purchased used at a reasonable price.
We don’t yet know if the op wants a lens that works on the m42 spotmatic.
02-23-2021, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #24

The Sigma 10-20 gives outstanding results and can be picked up at a reasonable price second hand. If I only had one lens this would be it!
02-23-2021, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #25

The Pentax DA 12-24 is very, very good. I'd get a used one

02-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA21 is a very nice one
DA15 as well, and lovely small for such a super-wide angle
(allhough I prefer the DA14)

Nobody mentioned the old DA16-45/4

In good condition it is a fantastic lens for the money, far superior to the DA18-55 or DA18-50!
It is one of my very few zoom-lenses.
On the KP it shows that it it up with the top lenses.

But a good samle it has to be, otherwise bad wobble.
02-24-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the DA 10-17mm zoom is just an awesome lens; I suggested the DA21 Limited mainly as a possible stop-gap lens....

it's wide enough to give you a taste, plus the factor of as a used lens you can get one just about anywhere....
Also, the 21mm doesn't distort badly whilst capturing loads in the frame and the sharpness many of us get means you can crop in. The 10-17mm is tremendous fun though. BTW, other than the 20-40, none of the limiteds are wr

Re Sandy's suggestion of the 15mm, I got one a month ago for £250 and it is EPIC!!!!
02-24-2021, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have received a lot of excellent suggestions. However, I would suggest waiting - but with a twist. You have a lot of equipment to use. Use what you currently have. Hold off buying any new lenses. Now, I understand that you want to try shooting wider landscapes - but, you already have all the tools you need. You just have to use them in the right way.

Instead, try shooting stitched panoramas - essentially with any of your lenses. Your 18-55 would be the best bet to start off with. You can shoot handheld, just in the portrait (vertical) orientation, and overlap each shot by about a third. You can use Microsoft ICE (a free download) to stitch the images together in order to form the resulting panorama.This will get you using the equipment you already have, gaining experience and confidence. Then as time passes, based on your own experience, you will have a better understanding on what you feel you need.

... just remember, the film is free - and don't worry about making mistakes. That is how you learn!

02-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’ll try and keep it simple, since there are lots of complicated answers further up...

For the Spotmatic, I’d suggest a Takumar 28mm f3.5 of some flavor. It’s about as wide on the Spotmatic as the 18mm end of your 18-55 is on the K5. They’re usually inexpensive, so very good value.

For the K5, I like the 16-45 zoom idea. It’s both a bit wider than the 18-55 and a quality upgrade. Otherwise, I’d suggest the 15mm, as it’s a good focal length before things either go fisheye or high price...

Good luck!

-Eric
02-24-2021, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Wide angle lenses ?
You might want to consider looking at a Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, compact and sharp too, a few examples.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-24-2021 at 08:11 AM.