Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You might want to consider looking at a Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, compact and sharp too, a few examples.
That third shot is magical.

02-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That third shot is magical.
Thanks and all from a very humble "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm.
02-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you re-processed the first one? I remember it from a while ago, must have been before your blue period.
02-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Have you re-processed the first one?
Aye... I feel this image just looks cleaner and more detailed.

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I remember it from a while ago, must have been before your blue period.
If the Período Azul was good enough for Pablo Picasso... who am I to argue.

02-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my spotmatic I really liked the S-M-C 28mm f/3.5 (49mm filter) but always wanted a bit wider. I eventually got the S-M-C 17mm f/4 fisheye takumar and that was hard to use as I really didn't know what to do with a fisheye with a 180 degree diagonal so it was a hard lesson to learn. I really probably wanted something like a 20mm or 24mm. That said I used my 28/3.5 all the time and it was one of my favorite lenses.

On digital with the K-3 I still use the 28mm but not as much. I found I used the 17mm fisheye a lot more but for UWA I got the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 for astro shooting but it gets used a lot even during the day now. When it comes to getting a wide or ultra wide, or any lens for that matter, ask yourself what problem are you trying to solve. You have the 18-55 so do you want wider, do you need something faster, do you want better image quality, etc.? Once can throw all sorts of money at things and not get the right solution mostly because you are asking the wrong question. There are all sorts of recommendations for good wide and ultrawide lenses here but what is right for you depends on what problem you are trying to solve. High distortion fisheye lenses can make for some fun effects if you utilize the distortion, if you are shooting with lots of light then even the old S-M-C 17mm f/4 fisheye is great once you stop it down to f/8 or f/11. If you need faster you will have to go with a modern lens. If you want a good low geometric distortion lens there are modern ones available. Do you just want a bit wider so you don't have to stitch images, or do you really want to go wide and get the Rokinon 8mm for some real ultra wide fun. Just think of what you want. Also if you want to see what people have done with some wides/ultrawides go check out this contest thread for ideas of how different lenses shoot.

For me with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 I do lots of astro shooting and the old 17mm f/4 fisheye takumar really sucks at that so I wanted a faster ultrawide lens that I could run wide open with very low geometric distortion. Those properties solve a lot of the problems with doing astrophotography, you have lots of light gathering ability, sharpness at wide apertures, and with low geometric distortion you can stack images without getting lots of stacking artefacts. So with all that there were very few lenses that met the criteria and I happened on a used Laowa at a reasonable price from a forum member whos opinion I trust so I got that one.
02-24-2021, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great advice. some more about myself, I want the best photos I can get, I rarely use the spotmatic, use the takumars on the K5, now playing with the DA L 50 200 a lot, have recently broken out the DA L 18 55 and have started to play with it. I have realized from all the great advice above that I need to learn how to use my K5 better, use the lenses I have and once I become a better photographer (more skilled (?) before I consider other lenses. Once again I love this forum and have learned more in the last couple of years than I did in 40 years using the Spot. Thank you all once again for he great advice. See you on the forum.
02-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Thank you all for the great advice. some more about myself, I want the best photos I can get, I rarely use the spotmatic, use the takumars on the K5, now playing with the DA L 50 200 a lot, have recently broken out the DA L 18 55 and have started to play with it. I have realized from all the great advice above that I need to learn how to use my K5 better, use the lenses I have and once I become a better photographer (more skilled (?) before I consider other lenses. Once again I love this forum and have learned more in the last couple of years than I did in 40 years using the Spot. Thank you all once again for he great advice. See you on the forum.
That is a sensible direction. Using the 18-55mm lens for example, will give you a better idea of what kind of things you would want to improve. What focal length do you end up using the most? Do you wish for something wider? More colorful or contrasty? More definition in the edges? Do you need to be able to open your aperture wider (eg. for night sky shots)?

These are the type of questions you'll start answering yourself, once you use your equipment more.

02-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #38
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
G'day,

I can't argue with the logic, the suggestions have been widely varying but also a good example of the options and experiences to consider in this space. I will provide some feedback on my experience of DSLR and a twin lens kit from my first interchangeable lens camera, the K10D.

I bought my K10D as a kit with two Sigma lenses of similar focal length to the two you have. I tended to lean towards the longer focal lengths and never really got along with the 18-50. I persevered for over six months, developed my knowledge of the camera and photography and bought an absolute ton of magazines to learn from and look for examples of what I liked and understand how to achieve something similar.

One of the things I kept noticing was being drawn to wide angle FOV images. Both online and in magazines they kept catching my eye and next thing you know, I'm comparing reviews of wide angles. I ended up buying the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. Mid priced, decent performance and easily a step up from the kit lenses. I rarely shot with anything else for some time and it helped me learn more as I was enjoying the experience of shooting the ultra wide FOV so much.

Anyhoo, kit lenses will give you the ability to go so far but you asked about wide angles for a reason so don't forget that as you work with what you have to hand. Something the kit lenses will work with can be found in this thread: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com

Landscape images don't need a wide angle.

Tas
02-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

My idea- Show/post some pictures you love and aspire to emulate and/or name photographers. Of course, a zoom like the great Pentax 11-18mm, Pentax 12-24mm, 10-17mm, or Sigma 10-20mm- probably the cheapest option used- would provide you with great range on the wide end, but then there are those who love to take telephoto shots between 200-500mm of distant landscapes (atmospheric conditions coming into the equation!). You probably know already, if the 18mm range on your kit zoom on the K5 is too little on the wide end, So the limited 15mm would be a significantly wider prime lens for you too. Agree with everyone else, that the Pentax 20mm f2.8 or f4 lenses are great on FF or film cameras, but also consider a Tokina or Tamron 17mm and Pentax FF 18mm or 15mm lenses. Oh yes, and then there are circular and rectilinear fisheye lenses and stitched panoramas from less wide lenses...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-24-2021 at 04:02 PM.
02-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
At f/5.6, it's pretty good. It's also a pretty impressive lens if you move just a little bit away from 18mm, say 21-24mm range (approx.), where it sharpens right up. So, it's actually a nice walk around 21mm lens if you apply some "imaginary duct tape" to the zoom control.
Yes, and distortion is then considerably reduced, as is shown in your shot with linear subject matter.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-24-2021 at 07:58 PM.
02-26-2021, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
DA 21 Limited would be my suggestion...
Keep an eye open for a used copy of the DA21mm it's brilliant and fun. Add a watch for it in the Marketplace.