Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 01:35 AM   #1

Recently Recieved Pentax Cameras Looking for Info

I have no photography experience at all, and received a set of camera equipment, looking to see if what I have is worth keeping or throwing out. Any info would be greatly appreciated

What I have
Cameras:

Pentax ME Super
Asahi Pentax SP 1000
Asahi Pentax ME

Lenses:
SMC Pentax-M 1:1.6 50mm
Yashikor 35mm 1:2.8
Vivitar 85-205mm 1:3.8

Vinson Auto 2x Converter

Asahi Super-Muli-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135
Tasman 1:2.8 f=35mm 55
Eyemik auto tele converter 2x
Sigma Telemac Vario 2x auto

02-28-2021, 02:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twirlysphinx Quote
I have no photography experience at all, and received a set of camera equipment, looking to see if what I have is worth keeping or throwing out.
Although I can give you an opinion on theoretically what's best and what's not, ultimately the only answer that matters would require someone that knows photography who can tell you the condition of the equipment.

IF the cameras are in working condition, they are worth keeping if you are willing to invest the time to learn and the cost of film and processing. However, someone with experience needs to examine them to see if the light seals are good, the shutter works and is in within reasonable accuracy, if the light meter works, if the winding and rewind mechanism all work, etc.

Do the lenses focus smoothly? Does the aperture work at all f/stops? Does the zoom work smoothly? When shining a flash light through the back of the lens, is it relatively scratch, dust, and fungus free?

Usually nothing is in mint condition nor completely unrepairable. In general, the cost of repair will meet or exceed the cost of buying the equipment in working condition.
02-28-2021, 02:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
More Info

From what I can tell, the lenses had minor dust that was easily cleaned off. Everything that I got was in a nice case and all the extra lenses had own cases as well. With some research i was able to test the cameras and they appear to operate smoothly. The equipment was stored in a cabinet indoors, so I cant see any visible damage. I also dont know much about cameras other than what I found online so far. Thanks for your response, I am continuing to research all of the equipment.
02-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have a very rare lens there !

I expect just a typo.... 1:1.7 or 1:1.4

02-28-2021, 06:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you want to try film photography yourself, I recommend you do it with the ME Super and the SMC Pentax-M 1:1.6 50mm lens (although there never was a 1:1.6 - was that a typo for 1:1.7?). That camera (and the ME) and that lens use what is known as a "K Mount". The ME Super is a nice camera, I started with one myself, and it was an improvement on the ME which was a bit basic.

The SP1000, as you probably notice, has a different, older screw type, lens mount. It is a bit of a collectors item but not so convenient to use (some enthusiasts here might dispute that). In good condition it could get a good price on Ebay. It is not clear to me what mounts your other lenses have except the Yashikor which I assume has a C/Y mount for a Yashica camera and is totally incompatible with Pentax. You might want to keep any of the lenses which do have the K-Mount and sell the rest of the stuff on Ebay. If you find film photography does not suit you (it is a bit expensive these days, a niche thing), you can sell the rest later. That is what I would do anyway.
02-28-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

The SP1000, as you probably notice, has a different, older screw type, lens mount. It is a bit of a collectors item but not so convenient to use (some enthusiasts here might dispute that). In good condition it could get a good price on Ebay. It is not clear to me what mounts your other lenses have except the Yashikor which I assume has a C/Y mount for a Yashica camera and is totally incompatible with Pentax. You might want to keep any of the lenses which do have the K-Mount and sell the rest of the stuff on Ebay. If you find film photography does not suit you (it is a bit expensive these days, a niche thing), you can sell the rest later. That is what I would do anyway.
The Yashica is probably M42 and perfectly compatible with the SP1000. I don't think the Yashikor branding survived the transition to C/Y. The Vivitar is either M42 or T4/TX with an adapter, although I guess it could be early PK as well.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-28-2021 at 07:01 AM.
02-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums, you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here is information on the camera bodies - " newest " to " oldest "

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax ME Super improved upon the original ME by introducing two push buttons on the top plate allowing the user to electronically dial in the desired shutter speed, giving him or her much more flexibility when shooting manually. This design was later carried over to the ME F (Pentax's first autofocus camera) and the Super A (which could set the aperture automatically and hence provided Tv and Program automation in addition to the Av and M exposure modes of the ME Super).

Other improvements over the ME was a faster top shutter speed of 1/2000 s and a warning light in the view finder when EV compensation was engaged.

Variants:
PENTAX ME Super: The original
PENTAX ME Super SE: A 'Special Edition' version was released in later years, featuring a diagonal split screen rather than a horizontal one

Read more at: Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

it is a Pentax K mount

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax ME was introduced in 1976 as the most compact SLR ever for the 24 x 36mm film format.

The introduction of the Pentax ME was a bold move by Pentax in that it only provided one exposure mode - Av exposure automation. The photographer set the aperture, the camera would set the shutter speed. The camera did have a +/- 2EV exposure compensation - this was the only means by which the photographer could influence the exposure.

There was one mechanical speed, 1/100 s, which was intended as a backup in case the batteries went dead. Metering was not available in that mode.

The view finder was large and bright, larger than on the full size K-series of film cameras introduced the year before.

An SE (Special Edition) model variant was introduced later with brown leather.

An external 1.5 fps winder was available.

Read more at: Pentax ME - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

it is Pentax K mount

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The PENTAX SP1000 replaced the SP500 as the budget model. It was basically the original Spotmatic (which had been introduced 9 years earlier) but without a self timer. It thus didn't have recent advances such as the open aperture metering found in the Spotmatic F and ES series.

Read more at: Pentax SP1000 - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

it is a M 42 screw mount

where you can find free pdf operating manuals:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-28-2021 at 07:23 AM.
02-28-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no photography experience at all, and received a set of camera equipment, looking to see if what I have is worth keeping or throwing out. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Get a printed copy of a book about exposure and film. Bryan Peterson’s book on exposure is good. But so are many older books.

What I have
Cameras:

Pentax ME Super
Asahi Pentax SP 1000
Asahi Pentax ME
The ME Super is a fun film camera using the Pentax K Mount. The ME is a little less fancy, but works well enough also. Of the two the ME Super is the better camera but I’d use either one without worry. ME vs ME F vs ME Super : pentax

The SP 1000 is a nice m42 camera. It works with screw drive lenses and is all manual. It is more likely to need what’s called a CLA (cleaning and adjusting to spec) since it is all mechanical. The ME and ME Super are electronically controlled/regulated so the accuracy of the shutter speed is more likely still in speed or close.

Lenses:
Yashikor 35mm 1:2.8
Vivitar 85-205mm 1:3.8

Vinson Auto 2x Converter

Asahi Super-Muli-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135
Tasman 1:2.8 f=35mm 55
Eyemik auto tele converter 2x
Sigma Telemac Vario 2x auto
The 2x converters are probably not very good. Although this review suggests the Sigma is better than expected: An Odd Little Thing | Photo.net Photography Forums bear in mind this works with the m42 lenses not the k Mount.

I’m not clear which lenses are k Mount other than the M 50 but a single 50mm lens isn’t a terrible place to begin in photography.

The Takumar lens I assume is m42. I also expect the Yashica is m42 Mount. Those two lenses can be adapted to use on a k Mount cameras but are a bit more complicated to use for a first time photographer than the k Mount on the ME/ME Super would be.
02-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

other sources of information:

the articles section of the forum:

QuoteQuote:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners
A detailed look at the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, and aperture
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 25, 2015

Read more at: Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

a lending library in your location
02-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect the Tasman lens is 135mm as well. I can find no reference to a 35mm Tasman, but several for a 135mm. There is even one for sale on eBay...
02-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The actual question was whether the equipment was worth keeping or throwing out. Assuming it's in working condition, it could almost surely be sold, or at least donated, so don't throw it out.

On the other hand, unless you're interested in film photography as a hobby, I wouldn't keep any of it. As a practical matter if you're interested in photography generally, you'll spend more on film in a very short time than you would to purchase decent digital camera equipment that can outperform the analog equipment that you have.
02-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

looking to see if what I have is worth keeping or throwing out
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

If you are interested in doing film photography, what you have may be worth keeping with the caution that some service may be required if the camera/lens is serviceable. As noted above, your cameras are reviewed on this site and an estimate of value may be made from completed eBay listings. Your cameras should be considered salable if for parts if nothing else. Your Pentax and Asahi lenses should be considered salable, the others might be salable, but at lower value.

If you decide to sell, camera stores will often purchase used gear or offer sale on consignment. Sale on the Pentax Forums Marketplace is an option as might be eBay. Donation to a charity might also be a consideration.

Offers to sell here outside the Marketplace is something that is not done, per site policy.

Steve
02-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The actual question was whether the equipment was worth keeping or throwing out. Assuming it's in working condition, it could almost surely be sold, or at least donated, so don't throw it out.

On the other hand, unless you're interested in film photography as a hobby, I wouldn't keep any of it. As a practical matter if you're interested in photography generally, you'll spend more on film in a very short time than you would to purchase decent digital camera equipment that can outperform the analog equipment that you have.
Agree with @tibbitts. However, I teach both digital and film photography. The level of enthusiasm and engagement I see with my film students (many who have also taken my digital course) is much higher.

The writing on the wall easily shows that film is not preferred by most, but for those that do, they love it even more.
02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses and info, for the TASMAN lens, I could only find info on a 135mm one. there is a description on the lens that says "TASMAN 1:2.8 f=35mm 550 no770044" The "0" after the 55 is actually a 0 with slash through it, but I dont have the button. If anything I was hoping that I was able to create a conversation and learn some more. everyone here seems to be enthusiasts whereas I know nothing. Once again thanks for all the info, and if you would like to know more, I can give basic answers to whats written on equipment and things like that.
02-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the day when I bought my ME Super it came with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens. This is still a highly regarded lens:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Average user rating 9.34 - not too shabby! Being a K-mount lens, I am able to use it on all my modern Pentax digital cameras, with great results! If this is what you have, it's definitely a keeper IMO. K-5IIs 4586 PFcrop - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com

On the other hand, you may have the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 lens. Again, a very respectable lens:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Either of these lenses would be a fine starting point should you decide to go digital. If yours is in good condition and you sold it, I'm afraid you may regret it later. Yes, they are all-manual, but that's not such a bad thing when learning photography. Also, the image quality is very good on modern cameras. If you stick with photography, you can always get a newer auto-focus auto-aperture lens for a digital camera later. Why get rid of a highly-respected gem?

Welcome to the forum.

---------- Post added 02-28-21 at 03:25 PM ----------

The 55Φ may mean that the lens takes a 55mm filter.