Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

K-x displays "command: 00 hex" on startup

Hello,
I received a K-x, and, at startup it displays "COMMAND: 00 HEX". No way to go to menu or to do anything else.
Thank you for your help.

02-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there an sd card in it?
02-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
There was no card. I just made a test with an SD card, and the message is now 'BOARD TEST START". But without changing.
Firmware problem ?
Thanks for your response.
02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might be able to download the latest firmware and get the camera going that way

02-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
You might be able to download the latest firmware and get the camera going that way
I'm going to try that. Thanks.
02-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ericm Quote
"COMMAND: 00 HEX"
'BOARD TEST START"
Those sound more like low level error messages than anything I have ever seen on a Pentax camera. Certainly not something normal.
You might try a full factory reset but otherwise that doesn't sound good.

Also be aware the k-x maxes out at I think 32gb on sd cards so make sure yours is smaller than that. I do not remember if the firmware changed the capacity at some point so its possible the max card size is even smaller if it has earlier firmware. Latest firmware is 1.03
Manual is here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf
02-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Those sound more like low level error messages than anything I have ever seen on a Pentax camera. Certainly not something normal.
You might try a full factory reset but otherwise that doesn't sound good.

Also be aware the k-x maxes out at I think 32gb on sd cards so make sure yours is smaller than that. I do not remember if the firmware changed the capacity at some point so its possible the max card size is even smaller if it has earlier firmware. Latest firmware is 1.03
Manual is here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf
It's not possible to update the firmware. Pushing MENU during off to on, displays BATTERY LOW, even with a new set of AA batteries. No way to get the UPDATE menu.
Could you explain how to do a full factory reset. I 'll do that tomorow. Thank you.

02-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there a debug mode that the camera might be in? Though I would expect it to leave that mode when restarting.
02-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Is there a debug mode that the camera might be in? Though I would expect it to leave that mode when restarting.
That’s where I was thinking things might be. I don’t recall the syntax or file name but we should be able to dig it up and attempt to shut down debug mode if that is what’s happening.
02-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could you explain how to do a full factory reset.
I thought there was a button sequence to do that but checking the manual and the forum it appears that the reset is a menu item. Which doesn't help if you cannot get to the menu.

If you are getting 'low battery' with fresh batteries you might check the battery contacts in the camera. Cameras that old often have a bit of tarnish on them which prevents full voltage. And the k-x was notoriously finicky about batteries. I suspect it was marginal for use with AA batteries and any drop in voltage caused various unexplained issues. At the time the accepted wisdom was that Eneloop rechargeable ones worked the best as they had a 'flatter' voltage loss curve under use.

Anyway try cleaning the battery contacts. A pencil eraser can work or electronic contact cleaner if the pencil doesn't help. Not sure if that will help with your main problem but if the camera is not getting full voltage its hard to say what that might cause.
02-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #11

Check your favorite search engine for "Pentax K-x debug mode"

Or find a copy of pk_tether and enable debug mode through there. However since the camera won't boot up I doubt the USB will connect. You'll have to search the board for pk_tether as one of the users uploaded it and shared a download link.
02-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the right file on an sd card you may be able to force it in and out of debug mode. If it is responsive to booting the file off the sd card. It’s worth a shot.
02-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Found here:
K-x debug mode w/pics please - PentaxForums.com

1) create file MODSET.492 using notepad++ with the following two lines (hit enter after each):

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
[SCRIPT_EN_MODE DIS]

2) Power off camera.
3) Insert sd card made above.
4) Keep the sd card door open.
5) Turn on the camera while holding +/- (Av) button.

Cross your fingers.
6) Wait a minute (less really)
7) Power off. Remove sd card. 8) Power on again, is it better?

If your adventurous you can try more dangerous commands from here:

Debug mode
03-01-2021, 12:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hello,
I rapidly tried this morning, without success. May be I forgot CF/LF at the end of the second line, but I wonder if the SD card is read at boot !
Now I'm at work, so next trials will be at the end of the day.
Thank you all for your information and the links ... Have a nice day.
03-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hello,
some trials ...
- booting with the MODSET.492 file and +/- pressed, and card door open (or not), the result is the same ("COMMAND: 00 HEX"), but the red led (near LV button) blink once.
- also tried the command [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU], with no different result
- other thing, when the camera is off, when i insert a SD card, the message "BOARD TEST START" is displayed.

It seems firmware is really broken. I will try with a repair service ...

Thank you for all.