Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cost of repair is very likely higher than replacement.

03-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #17

That and lack of parts. They might be able to reburn the firmware via hardware but I doubt it.
03-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry that didn't help btw. I was hopeful. I know on my K100D Super if I leave it in Debug mode all sorts of odd things pop up. It's one of the reasons I prefer using the K100D (plain) over the K100D Super. No need to remember to disable Debug.
03-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm sorry that didn't help btw. I was hopeful. I know on my K100D Super if I leave it in Debug mode all sorts of odd things pop up. It's one of the reasons I prefer using the K100D (plain) over the K100D Super. No need to remember to disable Debug.
ok, I understand the camera is dead. It'a pity. Externally It seems so clean and functionnal !
Throwing it away just because of some bytes missing is ununderstandable.
Anyway thank you for the time and the help.

03-02-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #20

If it can't be repaired you can take the solenoids out to repair the aperture mechanisms on other bodies.
03-02-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually outside of Europe the K-x has 2 x white Japan-Solenoids (most in Europe got just one!)

Just those are worth it because if you buy a K30/50/K-S1 or similar with ABF you have the parts ready.

And then sell it for parts, mentioning the solenoids are taken out, still worth a little bit for parts!
03-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericm Quote
Hello,
some trials ...
- booting with the MODSET.492 file and +/- pressed, and card door open (or not), the result is the same ("COMMAND: 00 HEX"), but the red led (near LV button) blink once.
- also tried the command [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU], with no different result
- other thing, when the camera is off, when i insert a SD card, the message "BOARD TEST START" is displayed.

It seems firmware is really broken. I will try with a repair service ...

Thank you for all.
Make sure that the MODSET.492 file is in the root directory of the SD card. It can not be in the DCIM, or any other folder.

I would try to download the latest firmware update for you camera. Pentax packages firmware updates in self-extracting zip files. Download the file from the Ricoh website. Double click on the file to run it. Find the resulting xxxx.BIN file and copy it to the root directory of the SD card.

Put the SD card in the camera and turn it on. A normally functioning camera will detect the xxxx.bin file and load the new firmware.

03-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #23

Sounds to me like it is failing during the Power On Self Test before the bootstrap process.

Does it display the firmware version when you hold down the menu button and power on?
03-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds to me like it is failing during the Power On Self Test before the bootstrap process.

Does it display the firmware version when you hold down the menu button and power on?
No, it's always the same message COMMAND: 00 HEX.
And when I insert a SD card, even when power is off, the message is BOARD TEST START.
I wonder if it could be a power problem with the contacts.
03-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And when I insert a SD card, even when power is off, the message is BOARD TEST START.
I have found one reference to the message BOARD TEST START, at a German DSLR Forum from 2010:

See post 2599 at: Pentax K-x Diskussionsthread - Seite 260 - DSLR-Forum

English translation:

"do you sometimes have funny (error) messages after switching on?
a message like "Board Test Start" appears on the screen. the camera is practically dead afterwards. Nothing happens. I can only revive them by taking out the batteries. It happens at irregular intervals. The camera does not show the usual screen but writes it in white on black somewhere on the screen. The position also changes"

Not sure if the person resolved their problem.

That reminds me -- Is it the K-x that is finicky about the batteries it uses, and the setting for the 'battery type'? I think there have been discussions about this, but I didn't follow them closely. In the first link, Post 4 refers to the K-x instructions for batteries.

AA Batteries for the K-X - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/battery-settings-23580

k-x and batteries - PentaxForums.com
K-x dies almost immediately even with fresh batteries - PentaxForums.com

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-02-2021 at 04:31 PM.
03-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's not possible to update the firmware. Pushing MENU during off to on, displays BATTERY LOW, even with a new set of AA batteries. No way to get the UPDATE menu.
Could you explain how to do a full factory reset. I 'll do that tomorow. Thank you.
Possibly investigate different batteries? Did that camera have a setting for rechargeable batteries vs. alkaline? If it expects the other type of battery that might be what's happening there.