Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

ECV and color balance way off

Help, I recently returned from a very expensive photo safari to Yellowstone in winter looking for wolves after recently purchasing two brand new expensive Pentax zoom lenses for my 3 yr old K3 camera. Basically, the color tint was off for all drive modes except automatic (which thank god worked for exposures in snow but with very limited control): every step down of the EV was cyan tinged colored and every step up was green tinged even with 1/3 ECV adjustments. This problem persisted in other drive modes even if I kept the ECV adjustment at 0. I updated firmware and reviewed my settings and I couldn't figure out the problem. Perhaps this problem was due to linking auto focus and auto exposure to spot exposure metering?? Any recommendations? Jason

03-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum

What lenses?

How was your white balance set?

Did you shoot RAW+? Do this next time! You can recover colors ex post facto (unless something is wrong with your camera).

Maybe post a shot so we can look at EXIF data.
03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This sounds like a white balance issue rather than having anything to do with drive modes.

If you shoot Raw it's not an issue, as no particular balance is baked in.
03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly it sounds like something weird happened to the k-3.

Questions:

1) are the colors only an issue with jpgs, or do you have RAW files with odd color too?

2) does this problem persist if you take photos indoors in warm conditions now?

3) is the problem (if repeatable now) an issue with other lenses?

4) have you tried resetting the camera to default? If this only affected jpg output a custom profile to the images might be messing things up. Shooting in auto might have disabled that profile.

5) have you had a beer and screamed s—-t! A few times yet? If not it might be time.

03-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jtoth Quote
Any recommendations?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

What a disappointment. Yellowstone in winter is one of those experiences that few will savor.

This likely had nothing to do with drive modes (single, continuous, timed, etc.) or exposure modes (auto, P, Tv, Av, M, etc.), but may be tied to white balance settings and/or custom image selection. The first question is whether you were shooting DNG or PEF file types. If so and if the images were properly exposed, it is likely that the intended captures are intact. If shooting JPEG files, what you have is what you have with limited ability for correction, though evaluation of the EXIF metadata may likely provide an explanation.

Do you have an example copy of a straight-out-of-camera file* for an affected frame that you could provide using a file share service such as OneDrive or Dropbox?

Steve

* Such a file will have a wealth of information about camera setting and camera state useful for forensic evaluation.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-01-2021 at 09:16 PM.
03-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Jtoth Quote
Help, I recently returned from a very expensive photo safari to Yellowstone in winter looking for wolves after recently purchasing two brand new expensive Pentax zoom lenses for my 3 yr old K3 camera. Basically, the color tint was off for all drive modes except automatic (which thank god worked for exposures in snow but with very limited control): every step down of the EV was cyan tinged colored and every step up was green tinged even with 1/3 ECV adjustments. This problem persisted in other drive modes even if I kept the ECV adjustment at 0. I updated firmware and reviewed my settings and I couldn't figure out the problem. Perhaps this problem was due to linking auto focus and auto exposure to spot exposure metering?? Any recommendations? Jason
"...expensive photo safari to Yellowstone in winter looking for wolves after recently purchasing two brand new expensive Pentax zoom lenses.. "

Maybe the issue is not understanding the limitation of cameras exposing for reflected light and White Balance. Which explains why every camera mfr. adds to their expense, an Exposure Compensation (+/-) button and the ability to select pre programmed White Balance or create a Custom White Balance. So if the little man in the camera isn't getting it done (which often happens), record in DNG and then you can control the color to your liking. Yes, it is an extra few steps, same as reverse searing a steak. But like the steak, well worth it.
03-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am wondering if you are confusing "drive modes" with "exposure modes" on your mode dial, since you say color balance was ok when set to the "Automatic" mode. There is an ""Auto" setting on the mode dial. You say you were using 1/3 EV adjustments, so I assume you were using the +/- comp control? However, there is also an "Auto" setting in White Balance settings. Could be a WB problem, depending on this setting.

I do agree with UncleV. that if shooting JPEG images, the default setting for Custom Image processing is usually the "Bright" category, but if your mode dial is set to "Auto" then the Custom Image processor might well be switched over to "Auto" also, which could employ which ever category the camera "thinks" is best. But then having your mode dial set to "Auto" disables most controls and adjustments, so you lose control of your camera. The "Bright" category is great for most uses, but it does entail higher contrast, increased sharpening, and a more saturated color palette. For high-contrast scenes, and others where you'd want less enhanced contrast, and a less saturated, more neutral color palette, you could go to the Custom Image settings to temporarily switch to the "Natural" category for the situation you are facing. You can also go into the menu of whatever category you have chosen to operate, and make changes within it as to sharpening, color saturation, contrast, etc if you wish.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-01-2021 at 10:31 PM.