Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #1

double exposure Pentax KP

I have a Pentax KP that occassionally double exposes. I do not know if this is a fault or I have accidentally turned this feature on. It occurred last November, and on the suggestion of the service agent I did a reset, which fixed the problem. I have now had this problem reoccur over the weekend. I have done another reset, but I am wondering if it is a setting I am turning on inadvertantly?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my k-3 I would occasionally turn on word drive mode with my thumb on the four way controller. But this is a new one - I donít recall doing this.
03-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MZ30 Quote
but I am wondering if it is a setting I am turning on inadvertantly
The EXIF indicates that the drive mode was set to multiple exposure, composite:average.

Added: Potential causes include a slip of the thumb while holding or shooting or possibly an inadvertent change while using the "info" screen.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-01-2021 at 10:35 PM.
03-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The EXIF indicates that the drive mode was set to multiple exposure, composite:average.

Steve
Thank you, I will be more aware of that in the future. I am still learning to drive it by feel :-)

03-02-2021, 03:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I had this problem with my K-70 … it's likely to be due to accidently operating the Drive Mode Switch on the 4-way controller with your thumb.
With the KP you have two options :-
1) Change the functionality of the 4-way controller - p60 in the manual
2) "Disable Operation Controls" - p51 in the manual
Either option involves extra key presses, so may not suit your "work ethic" … for me, that's the lesser of two evils. When I'm wearing gloves on a blustery cliff-top I want to have the security of a tight grip on the camera without having to worry if the camera settings have been accidently changed … and yes, I do use a neck-strap
03-02-2021, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the upside, it makes for an interesting abstract
03-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Ö and yes, I do use a neck-strap
You cretin! Just kidding, my strap configuration varies wildly based on the camera and situation, I love neck straps myself depending on whatís going on.

Iíve had similar issues with my KP sometimes, but it seems to have worked itself out with some modified hand placement.
03-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I let someone handle my KP for a couple moments the other day and when I shot it next, it was in bracketing mode. That right button on the 4-way controller seems very easy to bump and change things.

03-02-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MZ30 Quote
Thank you, I will be more aware of that in the future. I am still learning to drive it by feel :-)
I had a similar problem on my K-3 where I was accidentally changing custom image settings, resulting in strange preview and review images. One thing I found useful was to disable memory (retention between camera on/off cycles) for almost all settings such that an accidental is not migrated between sessions. (See KP manual p110.)

Steve
03-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's what I do (not save the settings I don't want to keep). I've accidently switched to mirror up mode before now. Thought the camera had died for a while (this is what happened when my K10d died). Gave it a reboot then all fine again.
03-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
That's what I do (not save the settings I don't want to keep). I've accidently switched to mirror up mode before now. Thought the camera had died for a while (this is what happened when my K10d died). Gave it a reboot then all fine again.
Bracketing is another real killer if retained between sessions. Both are a recurring source of help requests here on the Pentax Forums.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2021 at 01:22 PM.
03-02-2021, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one that always bites me is two second self timer. I pick up the camera... aim, and expect a quick shot of something fleeting... and it goes black and starts beeping. And as an added bonus IBIS is also turned off. Sigh.