Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 10:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K100D no shutter, no autofocus

Hi! I am wondering if anyone has encountered and successfully repaired this issue. My K100D suddenly does not fire. As I've explored the issue, I see the autofocus does not try, there is no info or indicators in the viewfinder, and I hear a faint electronic sounding "tick" or click when I push the shutter button. I hear this same noise when I push the ok button and directional buttons, and the exposure compensation button. The menu works, mode dial works, and picture playback is working. I've tried new, fresh batteries. I've thoroughly cleaned the contacts. I've updated the firmware. I've tried different lenses. -all with no change. Any ideas? I have seen that others have had this issue, but I have not heard a conclusion on this issue. I am not afraid to disassemble it if it's needed, I'm patient.

03-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What lens? I think the k100d can only use screw drive. Kaf and kaf2?

As far as no shutter. There is a setting that will not fire the shutter if not in focus.
03-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it might help to look at this:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and this:

QuoteQuote:
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant and RE (retractable) lenses. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses and with KAF3 mount lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k100d.html#ixzz6ootzZA6j
03-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I've tried several lenses and the kit lens that came with it - all the same. Just a faint ticking sound when you hold the shutter button down. I've tried it without lenses in Manual mode - same. I find it strange that there is no icons or info in the viewfinder as well.

03-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Have you tried doing a reset ?
03-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just for information: the main lens is the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm AL

35mmfilmfan, I did the Reset in the menu, that didn't help. I've done the firmware update that didn't do it. I've even tried removing the batteries, lens, memory card and switching the camera to the on position overnight - in case there was some voltage regulator/capacitor issue. I read somewhere that that resets something and I thought I'd at least try... Still no change.
One other thing I noticed just now, in MF, AV,TV modes, if I try and change Shutter speed or adjust Aperture - I cannot. There is no change in the numbers on the LCD display. Only the same light ticking noise, once for every movement of the adjuster wheel.
03-11-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is possible that your 15 year old entry-level camera has reached the end of its life. It might be time to treat yourself to an upgrade!

03-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, it is old, but in great condition! And from searching around the internet on this issue - it is an issue that has happened with this camera even months after a camera was new. It is a known problem with this camera - I'd really like to fix it if I could.
03-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
I've just had a thought, this sound is very much like what a lot of electronics make if you are pressing too many buttons, or if a button is stuck down. I may try and see if the shutter button is sticking internally or something.
I was able to to get the Preview switch to work a few times - and it actuated the mirror and shutter, but not consistently.
03-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BenSelin Quote
I was able to to get the Preview switch to work a few times - and it actuated the mirror and shutter, but not consistently.
I had this with the K100D and early *ist D-Series Pentax bodies.
Whenever it was "at that state", I searched but never could find the problem.
My guess was mainboard-problem.

So I am curious what you find out.
03-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I had this with the K100D and early *ist D-Series Pentax bodies.
Whenever it was "at that state", I searched but never could find the problem.
My guess was mainboard-problem.

So I am curious what you find out.
photogem: here's what I've found on the various blogs and forums so far:
"I disassembled that K100D to check the voltage and probably AF motor. While I was checking the voltage everywhere on the PCB (everything seemed fine, although I wasn't 100% sure where the issue might be) I pushed the shutter release button and it worked. No clicks, just nice and loud shutter release sound. So, I assembled it back and it seems to be working fine (tested both AF and manual lenses)."
And then another K100D thread with the exact same issue: "In any event, I took the camera to the repair shop in the end, and they said the Aperture Control Unit had to be replaced."

So I'm doing tons of research and not finding much as of yet. I feel it'd be a shame to let it go if it was just a simple loose connection or dirty contact - even if it was internal.
03-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BenSelin Quote
And then another K100D thread with the exact same issue: "In any event, I took the camera to the repair shop in the end, and they said the Aperture Control Unit had to be replaced...
That is fantastic:
The Aperture Control Unit is the solenoid!
Never ever had a solenoid even with highest shuttercount to be replaced.

but wait... let's suppose the person bringing a K100D to a repair shop:

This usually means already costs, here in Europe it is so, approx. 55US$

So you have paid that and then get a US$ 150 (best case) to US$ 250 (normal price) offer:

Will you invest that money into your K100D?

think about it!

But you don't want to pay the return-shipping costs neither, won't you?
For a dead camara which did cost you $ 50 + shipping. No more wasted money!

So you ask them kindly if they can dispose the camera without extra costs.

Of course they will:

But they'll take the 2 solenoids out first, i.e. the functioning "aperture control unit"!

That's how I think/supsect things really are!
03-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That is fantastic:
The Aperture Control Unit is the solenoid!
Never ever had a solenoid even with highest shuttercount to be replaced.

but wait... let's suppose the person bringing a K100D to a repair shop:

This usually means already costs, here in Europe it is so, approx. 55US$

So you have paid that and then get a US$ 150 (best case) to US$ 250 (normal price) offer:

Will you invest that money into your K100D?

think about it!

But you don't want to pay the return-shipping costs neither, won't you?
For a dead camara which did cost you $ 50 + shipping. No more wasted money!

So you ask them kindly if they can dispose the camera without extra costs.

Of course they will:

But they'll take the 2 solenoids out first, i.e. the functioning "aperture control unit"!

That's how I think/supsect things really are!
I see your solenoid replacement on other models - do you think that may be the problem?

My K100D - I can switch the DOF Preview switch and a little spring/wire pushes up underneath the lens Aperture actuator - but the Aperture actuator does not move up. These pictures show the spring/wire in the up position. It goes back down after the DOF Preview attempt is over.

---------- Post added 03-12-21 at 04:15 PM ----------

03-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It can be that the mechanism is blocked, see here:
Shutter stuck - PentaxForums.com

If you open your K100D after those instructions:
Disassembly And Assembly Procedures; Disassembly Procedure Of Main Body - Pentax K100D Service Manual [Page 10] | ManualsLib
(there might be others, it is straight forward, when one knows how to open the flash without charging the flash capacitor
and that there are 3 hidden screws: 1 inside battery-chamber and 2 behind the rubber-eye-piece)

Then play with the plunger of the solenoid (bottom side) and see if you can unlock it
03-16-2021, 06:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if this helps but you can go into debug mode and tinker around. Have you tried that yet?