Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

Zx-5n won't flash, and hotshoe dead

Hello. I've had a ZX-5n for about 15 years. At some point the flash stopped working, and as well, the hotshoe is dead. So there seems to be no way to use any flash with it. The on-camera flash will pop open if I push the button, but not if the meter calls for flash. I don't remember if it should do this. The flash was serviced once, after which it worked for a short time. I think that maybe the circuit is damaged. Has anyone dealt successfully with this situation?

03-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #2

If you have not selected to disable flash and no indication on the display or in the viewfinder that flash is disabled, then it is likely the circuit is defective in some way.
03-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello. Maybe I missed it, but I did not know that the flash could be disabled. Please tell me how that is done and undone. Thank you.
03-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

I was probably thinking of a different model where the flash can be disabled. I read the ZX-5n manual and can see that the flash can't be disabled from the menu. You "disable" it by not pushing the button to flip open the built in flash. You can disable auto mode, which would keep the flash from firing if it is not needed for proper exposure. A dedicated shoe mount flash would behave the same.