Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum!

You'll need PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 for your K-7. Alternatively, set your RAW files to DNG rather than PEF and you should be able to view the images on any Windows 10 machine without any conversion neccesary.

In order to install DCU4 without an installation CD, see this thread: Pentax Digital Camera Utility - installation - PentaxForums.com

Unless, of course, you have Lightroom, in which case you don't need DCU4.
Hi Mark
I like the idea of downloading PENTAX DCU4 but I don't have the original CD.
How do I go about this? Is there a website where I can get the full software and not just an "update"?
Thanks
Andy

03-16-2021, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andysue Quote
Sounds good to save in DNG...but I've checked the Manual carefully for the K7 and I can't find that option.
Am I missing anything?
Andy
I don't have a K7 (I have a K5), but it looks like Rec Mode 1 sets the file format to Jpeg/Raw/Raw+Jpeg.

Rec mode 4 sets the Raw File Format to PEF/DNG.

See page 189 of the user manual.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf
03-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
IrfanView IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide will read and convert PEF files (and just about any other format) … will even do basic spotting and exposure correction … and it's free … been using it for years
Having said that, the Pentax-supplied "Digital Camera Utility" program is also free and far more capable, once you get to grips with it's quirky and cryptic interface. Get all the info for downloading and installing it here B&W Process - PentaxForums.com
I followed your instructions, put in an 8Gb stick with only one file "S-SW168" but it still says it cannot find the target and the installation is cancelled!!
Very frustrating!
Andy

---------- Post added 03-16-21 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't have a K7 (I have a K5), but it looks like Rec Mode 1 sets the file format to Jpeg/Raw/Raw+Jpeg.

Rec mode 4 sets the Raw File Format to PEF/DNG.

See page 189 of the user manual.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf
Well done
Thank you...I had missed that...I'm finding a huge jump from my istDS and I'm learning more about this beautiful K7 camera every day!
03-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I followed your instructions, put in an 8Gb stick with only one file "S-SW168" but it still says it cannot find the target and the installation is cancelled!!
Very frustrating!
Andy

It's not a "file" but the "Label" of the stick that needs to be named.
In Windows Explorer, if you "right-click" on the device and choose "Properties" there's a space at the top of the "General" tab for the label. If it's already called something else you'll need to change it.
Alternatively, if you're happy working from the command prompt, type "Label X: S-SW168", without the quotes, where X is the drive letter for your device.
Sorry, but I can't help with any other operating system
The concept does work, I used it when my K-5 was still my "current" camera and I wanted to see if I could benefit from the newer software

03-16-2021, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mark
I like the idea of downloading PENTAX DCU4 but I don't have the original CD.
How do I go about this? Is there a website where I can get the full software and not just an "update"?
Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy

I've just tested this on a Windows 10 machine.

Steps:
1. Download the DCU4 software from here: PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
2. Your machine will save the file to your Downloads folder. The file name is PBLU0440.exe
3. Take any USB drive and plug it into one of the USB drives in your machine.
4. Find the USB drive in Windows Explorer. Right click on the stick in Explorer and click "rename". OR Format the USB stick and rename it using the format utility. Rename the USB stick as S-SW90
5. There need not be any files on the USB stick. Leave the USB stick plugged in to your computer.
6. Run the installer.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

03-17-2021, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Finally got it!!
Called the stick "S-SW90"....not "S-SW186"...Hallelujah...another hurdle crossed...we learn something every day!
Thank you
03-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Finally got it!!
Called the stick "S-SW90"....not "S-SW186"...Hallelujah...another hurdle crossed...we learn something every day!
Thank you
Sorry … I'd assumed you would have been downloading the newest version (v5.8.6) of the program
Pleased you've got it working.
Enjoy

03-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #23

The installation software for 4.x tells you what disc labels it is looking for.

Note that v5.8x is fully backwards compatible with all the K series DSLR models. I use it with the PEFs from my K10D. You can go directly from v3.x to v5.x without having to update to v4.x. Just use one of the CD-ROM labels listed on the download page e.g:

Objective CD-ROM S-SW140, S-SW150, S-SW151, S-SW156, S-SW160, S-SW162, CD-ROM for GRll, S-SW168, S-SW167, S-SW171

IMO the 5.x interface is slightly improved over 4.x.