Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #1

Converting RAW PEF files from Pentax K7 camera into JPG

I have recently acquired a Pentax K7 camera to add to my collection of Pentax cameras. It did not come with any software CD

My other DSLR is a Pentax istDS and it came with PENTAX PHOTO laboratory 3 software which I have loaded onto my laptop to convert the RAW PEF files from the Pentax istDS camera into JPG files.

However, I was surprised to find out that this earlier PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software does not accept or convert the RAW PEF files from the K7 camera.

How do I convert the RAW PEF files from the K7 camera into JPG files?

Is there an update for PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software to accept the K7 RAW PEF files?

I have successfully used PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software since 2004 and I enjoy its simplicity and effectiveness.

Your assistance please

03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

You'll need PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 for your K-7. Alternatively, set your RAW files to DNG rather than PEF and you should be able to view the images on any Windows 10 machine without any conversion neccesary.

In order to install DCU4 without an installation CD, see this thread: Pentax Digital Camera Utility - installation - PentaxForums.com

Unless, of course, you have Lightroom, in which case you don't need DCU4.
03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by andysue Quote
I have recently acquired a Pentax K7 camera to add to my collection of Pentax cameras. It did not come with any software CD

My other DSLR is a Pentax istDS and it came with PENTAX PHOTO laboratory 3 software which I have loaded onto my laptop to convert the RAW PEF files from the Pentax istDS camera into JPG files.

However, I was surprised to find out that this earlier PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software does not accept or convert the RAW PEF files from the K7 camera.

Is there an update for PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software to accept the K7 RAW PEF files?

I have successfully used PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3 software since 2004 and I enjoy its simplicity and effectiveness.

Your assistance please
You can use a trial version of Silkypix. After 30 days you have to pay for the license. You can also download Digikam, which is a very nice free photo organizer quite capable of editing raw files, including PEF.
03-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be a RAW to DNG converter that you could use to then open the camera specific raw files as DNG in any photo editor

03-15-2021, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andysue Quote
Your assistance please
For starters, you can get the Adobe DNG Converter (for Windows or Mac) for free:
Adobe Digital Negative Converter

One perk of the Adobe DNG Converter is that you can rename your files.

Once it's a DNG, there are dozens of applications that can convert it to jpeg; some free, some with a nominal cost, and some requiring a subscription.
03-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

faststone image viewer can convert PEF to JPEG. And it's free
03-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can set the camera to take JPG .

03-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
faststone image viewer can convert PEF to JPEG. And it's free
Ditto XnView - free, and has editing facilities.

You can also save files in DNG format, instead of PEF, in the camera - check the manual.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-15-2021 at 06:03 PM.
03-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

IrfanView IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide will read and convert PEF files (and just about any other format) … will even do basic spotting and exposure correction … and it's free … been using it for years
Having said that, the Pentax-supplied "Digital Camera Utility" program is also free and far more capable, once you get to grips with it's quirky and cryptic interface. Get all the info for downloading and installing it here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/193-pentax-k-70/421485-b-w-process.html#post5229911
03-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Get Rawtherapee. It's free and very powerful.
03-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Get Rawtherapee. It's free and very powerful.
RAWtherapee +1
03-15-2021, 11:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on the K-7, it’s what I use myself. As you can see there’s lots of options available, I’ll only add that shooting in DNG is a better supported format if you want to do some editing before converting the images to JPG, plus there’s no loss of quality compared to PEF. My old version of Adobe Camera Raw reads the files without issues to edit in Photoshop CS4.
03-16-2021, 02:36 AM   #13

Original Poster
"In order to install DCU4 without an installation CD, see this thread: Pentax Digital Camera Utility - installation - PentaxForums.com

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/421717-converting-raw-pef-files-pentax-k7-camera-into-jpg"

Thank you, Mark
When I followed that, it prompted me for the original DCU 4 CD....which of course I don't have!
Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb!
Regards
Andy
03-16-2021, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #14

You can "develop" the Raw files in camera even if shot only in RAW only. View the image - press the Fn button - pick the RAW > JPEG option. Follow the prompts from there. You can apply some basic sharpening and color correction before saving.
03-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Ditto XnView - free, and has editing facilities.

You can also save files in DNG format, instead of PEF, in the camera - check the manual.
Sounds good to save in DNG...but I've checked the Manual carefully for the K7 and I can't find that option.
Am I missing anything?
Andy