Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Pentax 67 - Beginner Help Needed - I can't find the ISO!

Hi Everyone,

In my zeal for purchasing a Pentax 67 SLR, I overlooked the fact that my model doesn't seem to have an ISO indicator! Pretty boneheaded of me I know, and I hope that I am just missing something obvious (when I googled it, every 67 I saw had an ISO in the same ring as the shutter counter, as do most cameras.)

Forgive the blurry cellphone photos - just wanted to get this up quickly!

Thank you!

Ricky

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-N920A  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-N920A  Photo 
03-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Original Poster
Newbie with a Pentax 67 - can't seem to find the ISO!

Hi Everyone,

In my zeal for purchasing a Pentax 67 SLR, I overlooked the fact that my model doesn't seem to have an ISO indicator! Pretty boneheaded of me I know, and I hope that I am just missing something obvious (when I googled it, every 67 I saw had an ISO in the same ring as the shutter counter, as do most cameras.)

Forgive the blurry cellphone photos - just wanted to get this up quickly!

Thank you!

Ricky

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-18-2021 at 03:54 PM.
03-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

the iso indicator is only available on the TTL metering prism......appears you have just the standard prism which does not meter.......
03-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rickygarni Quote
every 67 I saw had an ISO in the same ring as the shutter counter, as do most cameras
No version of the 6x7 has the ASA/ISO indicator in the same ring as the shutter (ie frame) counter, which is over to the right of the body, and I would not say most cameras do either. The 6x7 you have is equipped with the non-metering pentaprism, and as such the exposure controls are simply the shutter speed on the body and the aperture on the lens, and you set those manually based on a separate exposure meter or your judgement. The market that the 6x7 was originally (around 1970) aimed at was professionals, who more often than not preferred separate meters at the time.

There is however a metering pentaprism available as an option, and this has a dial that fits over the existing shutter speed dial and does have an ASA setting window within it for the benefit of the meter which needs to know it. They tend to be expensive . This picture shows the metering pentaprism :

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-19-2021 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Corrected tpyo
03-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a light meter. Sekonic makes good ones. The 308 is very handy for the 6x7. Products | Sekonic. I would add to @Lord Lucan's post, that finding one of the TTL viewfinders is not easy. Also, they are - apparently - subject to breaking. You gotta find a good and working meter. All that said, a hand held meter is the way to go really.
03-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A Pentax 67 is a newer generation than the Pentax 6x7. It looks like you have a 6x7 generation and non-mirror lockup? A phone app light meter can give you matrix metering.
03-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you so much, everyone! I scouted through various sites on the web and came to this conclusion. I think the hand held meter just takes a little adjusting (or a willingness to wing it if you are, say, trying to do some street photography) - but then again, who would do street photography with a beautiful monster like this? It does seem suited for portrait photography (with the 105 f/2.4) and its own handy, sturdy tripod!

03-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 67 - Beginner Help Needed - I can't find the ISO!
Welcome to the forum!

You're probably better off with the non-metered prism, as the old TTL metered prism is flaky and long in the tooth.. This gives you numerous other metering options as mentioned above, where you set the ISO on the external meter.

Your only other option is to use the Sunny 16 rule....

Phil.
03-19-2021, 03:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In its heyday the 6x7 was much used as a studio camera for portraits, fashion and glamour, typically with studio flash, and also for landscape and architecture. All with a tripod for best results. A built-in meter is not a priority for these types of use. Especially with only 10 shots per film, you tend to work ponderously. I did once do a bit of street photography, but in a small sleepy sort of town otherwise it might draw too much attention. Even so I was challenged by a local and I'm glad I had another guy with me.

I have the metering head and it works fine. I understand that damage can be caused if you do not fit the metering prism and lens in a specific order, I can't remember it off hand as it is a while since I last removed the prism. That might have been a cause of damage to some of the units around today.
03-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

... but then again, who would do street photography with a beautiful monster like this?
I would. The camera is lighter and more compact if you put on a waist level finder. It would be like shooting with a TLR or Hasselblad with no prism. It looks like this

I don't do a lot of 'street' photography. And with the above WLF configuration on my Pentax 67 I took these pictures. You can't track and do the more dynamic type of street photography very well if at all with the configuration but you can do some.

Water Girls - Fremont Solstice Parade
by tuco, on Flickr

03-19-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

One of my street photography efforts with a 6x7

Ebenezer Chapel

Pentax 6x7, 75mm