Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Pentax P30t SLR Film Camera Film Lever

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have an enquiry to make about my film camera. I own a Pentax P30t and usually when there's no more exposures left the lever above usually stops winding. I somehow ended taking more pictures and I was still able to wind the lever when usually once it hits the 36 exposure count it stops winding and I'm just wondering are my photos still alright to get developed or is there something wrong with my camera.

Any help or assistance or some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bola

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
03-21-2021, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #2

It sounds like maybe the end of the roll came loose from the cassette. Did you feel the film roll back into the cartridge?
If not, it's recoverable, but has to be done in a totally pitch dark place, by feel. You have to get the film back in the cadette.
If you have a local camera shop, they may be able to help you.

Kirk B.
03-21-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How many exposures past 36?
Many years ago when I shot film, it was not unusual to get 2 or even 3 frames past "36".
03-21-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Hello Bola220, it could be what Crazy4oldcars wrote or DonV, but also, did you get the filmcassette in the right way in the camera? It happened me once (a long time ago in 1983) that I thought I could go on and on making pictures and it turned out I did not stick the beginning of the film in the right way in the take-up spool.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 03-22-2021 at 01:30 AM. Reason: mistake corrected
03-21-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

When using one of my lever wind film cameras, I always 'sacrifice' the first exposure on a roll to ensure the take-up spool is working properly. On cameras with automatic film advance, I watch the counter, since that only advances if film is being fed through.
03-21-2021, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long time or "standard" procedure for me was once the leader was "attached", wind the rewind knob to take up slack which smooths the film flat; close back; wind and watch the rewind lever turn.
If it does not then "you goofed".
03-22-2021, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest to check that the film is properly transported in the way DonV described, with every new film loaded into the camera. The Pentax ME for example has a film transport control, but I always prefered to watch the rewind knob spinning.

In addition, I always watch the first three quaters of the first lever action, at least until the film lies flat in the camera, with the back of the camera open. When the film winds up nicely until then, it will wind up till the end of the roll, most probably.

At the film end, there will be 1 to 2 additional shoots available, but if you count more then 39, you probably do not have an exposed picture at all. Or you teared the film apart with brutal force but you will know that for sure.

03-22-2021, 04:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
See thatís the thing after the count hit 36 it wouldnít rewind back to ĎSí Iím pretty sure I shot 20+ more shots after this. So do you think itís worth taking it to the shop or should I just sort it myself.
03-22-2021, 04:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
So do you think I still have a full roll of film that can still be used for another shoot or do you think itís gone?
03-22-2021, 04:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well, open the camera in a very dark spot, I used to do that under an aptly filled duvet on my bed, so that the light cannot come through, put the camera somewhere in the middle and on the side where your arms are push the duvet together with the top of your body and open the camera, you can feel immediately if the beginning of the film is loose. If so you can re-assemble the film in the right way. This is how I did it. Chances are that the first two pictures can be over exposed, so the first shot should be repeated once or twice for certainty to get a well exposed picture. If the film is tight in the camera, close it immediately and go to a photographer's and ask him or her to assist you. Hope this helps.
03-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bola220 Quote
See thatís the thing after the count hit 36 it wouldnít rewind back to ĎSí Iím pretty sure I shot 20+ more shots after this. So do you think itís worth taking it to the shop or should I just sort it myself.
I don't remember well, it has been years, but I don't think the counter resets until the back is opened. Anyone?

If the rewind knob turned, all the film is likely back in the cannister, which nowadays cannot be easily opened without destroying the cannister.

If it were mine, I'd bite the bullet, open the camera and see what is there. If the film is in the cannister, you likely never exposed it.
Or as noted above , open it in the dark, have a film can ready to put the possibly exposed film in- then the trick will be finding someone to develop a roll of "loose" film.