Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #1

Do you recommend using a lens filter?.

Hello, fellow Pentaxian.
I am thinking of getting a new prime lens for my K-50 what are your opinions on filters, I am thinking of either getting a UV Haze filter or clear glass filter. Which would you recommend or would you suggest something else, perhaps no filters?.
Many thanks in adavance.

03-24-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clockwork Quote
Hello, fellow Pentaxian.
I am thinking of getting a new prime lens for my K-50 what are your opinions on filters, I am thinking of either getting a UV Haze filter or clear glass filter. Which would you recommend or would you suggest something else, perhaps no filters?.
Many thanks in adavance.
Personally I don't run any filters on lenses as I standard - it's been a point debated both ways over years, but I feel they're not needed or can be more detrimental than beneficial.
However, I do use a polariser or neutral density filter for their effects sometimes.
03-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello, fellow Pentaxian.
Many thanks in adavance.
Hi

Does the new prime lens come with a hood ?
That is what I prefer to use before filters.
03-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't use them but if you are going too, I suggest you get good ones. Coated both sides and with brass threads not aluminum as the aluminum ones can stick and be difficult to remove. Good also = $$$$$$

03-24-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use a hood for protection.
03-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No. At best they're benign, at worst they can introduce distortions or flare. I would only consider using one for protection in very challenging conditions, e.g., trudging through mud and grit, or perhaps where there is a lot of salt water spray.

I had a bad experience with a UV filter (good brand) on my DA 55-300 a few years ago. I couldn't understand why I was routinely getting strong diagonal streaks in the bokeh. It was the filter.
03-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Do you recommend using a lens filter?.

I’m ancient school. I’ve always had a high end UV or polarizer on my lens.
I also always use a hood .UV on long glass/zooms, wide or normal have polarizers, that’s my needs
My reason is simple. I was a owner/tech of my photographic repair shop. My crew serviced Leica, hasselblad, linhoff, and all the regular household brands. My area was glass/ lenses. Most common repair was a bent filter, even one needing cutting to remove rarely damaged the lens barrel. Drop a zoom or IF Len, bend the barrel and you might have junk. The slight refractive loss of a optically flat filter is usually not noticeable. Note, I’m not a studio shooter, that’s a different thought..

Bottom line no need if it never drops!

Hang up and DRIVE!

03-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think any other subject has been debated as many times as this has on this forum. Opinions break down roughly 50 / 50 for and against.

Personally I don't use filters for protection but I do use the lens hood.

You can make a case for and against. There are stories of filters saving a lens and stories of them causing optical issues and even stories of the broken filter glass scratching the lens front. My opinion is do what you are comfortable with. If you feel better having a filter on then just buy a good multi-coated one and feel good about it.
03-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would say get a good quality circular polarizer filter.
03-24-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I use a filter for lens protection is when I'm around sea spray or blowing sand/dirt. Blowing salt and sand is very abrasive and can easily etch glass. Otherwise, I rely on the proper lens hood and handling for protection. I do use circular polarizing filters and neutral density filters for creative purposes. IMO unless your are willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on protection filters, they will degrade image quality.
03-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a digital camera, you will want to get a multicoated clear glass filter. UV was helpful for film only.

Agree with others that diligent use of a lens hood is best, and if you're going to use a polarizer or ND filter, do not stack them with the clear filter.

I have a clear filter, but often remove them depending on the environment and the lighting. They are more problematic with wide angle primes or with small apertures. I never use a clear filters indoors and I am more likely to use them on non-WR primes where there is moisture in the air or potential condensation conditions.

What prime are you considering?
03-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One (or more if stacked) EMPTY filter rings can protect filter threads against damage, provide moderate protection for glass and offer some hooded shade effect. Easy to carry along if not used. POL and ND filters can be stacked if used.

There are a lot of unused color filters available for cannibalization in this digital PP era.
03-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #13

The only filter i still use is ND filters, and all the UV ,polarizer.. just remains in their packing for years now.
03-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a third rail topic. It is most like going to degenerate.

My input. No I never use a protective filter on digital. I particularly avoid this with telephoto lenses. I have personally seen image degradation but I have seen others posts on this effect in controlled conditions.

Anecdotally I had a customer send me a lens that ended up having the filter and front element destroyed by a mispacked item outside the very well packed lens. So in practice the one time a lens was damaged the filter didn’t help protect it. That’s not a randomized sample of damage protection however.
03-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like others, I don't use a filters but use lens hoods. I do occasionally us a circular polarizer. I agree with others that a filter defeats the purpose of a quality lens which is the heart of a quality image, and if for whatever reason you decide to use filters, buy quality.