Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the white balance options. That shot should be shot with daylight or auto white balance. Filters are not a good way on digital to manipulate subtle color shifts. The sensor data can be interpreted to adjust this.

03-25-2021, 05:36 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coopec Quote
No doubt a good move to read the manual first but a much as I'd like to become an expert photographer I have lot more pressing needs right now. (Trying to get a yacht into the water).

You guys have been a big help. Now it is over to me to watch the YouTube tutorials to get a basic understanding.
your choice

you could find your answers in the manual

the index is always a good place to use
03-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

This is my first post on this forum so I'm feeling my way.

I loved my Asahi Pentax film camera when I was traveling but when I went digital I switched to Canon. When the Canon broke down I thought I'd go back to Pentax (but without spending too much money)

I bought a K10D (body only) and had planned to use the old Asahi Pentax lenses with an adapter. However I then decided to buy a Sigma 18-50mm lens and through a couple of deals on eBay I am now a proud owner of:
  • K10D
  • K100D
  • Sigma 18-50mm (Manual)
  • Sigma 18-50mm (Auto
I plan to use the K10D but I'm not too sure whether I should retain the manual or auto lens. Apparently professionals would use the manual (I am not a professional!) as auto lenses are not good in low light conditions.

Should I keep the manual or auto lens and give the other lens (plus K100D) to my son?

Thanks in advance
I will go a step further: Give your son the camera and all the lenses. Buy a new or secondhand SMC Pentax 18-135. I bought the 18-135 for my Samsung near-equivalent of the K10D. It is a terrific combination these two. And you can use this lens either AF or MF. It is one of the best zooms produced by Ricoh/Pentax. And it is almost the same reach as you Sigma and Tristar all in one lens!
03-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice picture. From the EXIF data of the picture I can tell you, that it should be an autofcus lens.

It should be this one: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Bad news is, it is not regarded very highly. Good news is, it is better then the Tristar probably.

Still better, it is better then no lens and good for a start, so do not worry. First thing will be to learn how to use the K-10D which is not a bad camera.
You have been using M - manual mode. You should use it in auto mode first. Set the camera as follows and get out and do do some pictures.
If you feel confident explore the camera further. You can always come and ask for more information,
Reading the manual will give you faster results eventually.

Set the wheel on the left on the top of the camera to the green symbol. The camera will then do a lot of things for you. Mainly select the aperture and time for a correct exposure,
Set the switch under the wheel to the green symbol, which is matrix metering. Should work better then weighted metering (the next to the left).
Set the switch on the left side of the bayonet to AF.S - This is single shot auto focus. Be prepared, that you can only take a picture if the camera can get the lens into focus,.
Set the wheel around the "OK" button on the back to the most left green symbol. The camera will try to figure out which AF point to use. This will probably go wrong quite often. I fto an anoying degree, switch to the symbol on the right, where you can only use the center AF point.

Set the switch on the back under wheel with the "OK" button to "ON". This will turn on the shake reduction.

Basic settings for beginners done. Now choose your subject. Press the shutter slightly down. The lens should go into focus, which is indicated by a red flash in the viewer, which will showe you the focus point and maybe a beep. Press shutter fully down. Picture should be okay.

I would love to tell yo a bit more on white balance and ISO settings, but the batteries of my K-10D are empty. And when I rember it right you can not change ISO in the green mode. You have to switch to "P" program mode, which is essentialy the same, with some freedom.

Take pictures! Have fun!
And welcome to the forum!

03-25-2021, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No doubt a good move to read the manual first but a much as I'd like to become an expert photographer I have lot more pressing needs right now. (Trying to get a yacht into the water).
How much sympathy would you have with a yachtsman who ended up calling the coastguard out because he hadn't bothered to read the manual about the basics of sailing?
03-25-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
How much sympathy would you have with a yachtsman who ended up calling the coastguard out because he hadn't bothered to read the manual about the basics of sailing?
where is that accelerator peddle

and the brake peddle

on this sail boat
03-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
where is that accelerator peddle

and the brake peddle

on this sail boat

That's really clever. (I forgot about them)

Attached Images

03-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Nice lines.

One question - how do you get it out ?
03-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Nice picture. From the EXIF data of the picture I can tell you, that it should be an autofcus lens.

It should be this one: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Bad news is, it is not regarded very highly. Good news is, it is better then the Tristar probably.

Still better, it is better then no lens and good for a start, so do not worry. First thing will be to learn how to use the K-10D which is not a bad camera.
You have been using M - manual mode. You should use it in auto mode first. Set the camera as follows and get out and do do some pictures.
If you feel confident explore the camera further. You can always come and ask for more information,
Reading the manual will give you faster results eventually.

Set the wheel on the left on the top of the camera to the green symbol. The camera will then do a lot of things for you. Mainly select the aperture and time for a correct exposure,
Set the switch under the wheel to the green symbol, which is matrix metering. Should work better then weighted metering (the next to the left).
Set the switch on the left side of the bayonet to AF.S - This is single shot auto focus. Be prepared, that you can only take a picture if the camera can get the lens into focus,.
Set the wheel around the "OK" button on the back to the most left green symbol. The camera will try to figure out which AF point to use. This will probably go wrong quite often. I fto an anoying degree, switch to the symbol on the right, where you can only use the center AF point.

Set the switch on the back under wheel with the "OK" button to "ON". This will turn on the shake reduction.

Basic settings for beginners done. Now choose your subject. Press the shutter slightly down. The lens should go into focus, which is indicated by a red flash in the viewer, which will showe you the focus point and maybe a beep. Press shutter fully down. Picture should be okay.

I would love to tell yo a bit more on white balance and ISO settings, but the batteries of my K-10D are empty. And when I rember it right you can not change ISO in the green mode. You have to switch to "P" program mode, which is essentialy the same, with some freedom.

Take pictures! Have fun!
And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise. I will follow your advice to the "T" and use the basic settings for beginners when I take more photos. That advice is vastly more appropriate at this stage than to "Read the Pentax K10D Manual"

Even now the camera (with my expertise ) will be useful on boating forums as we often discuss construction problems we encounter and suggest solutions. (photos are often very helpful).

Thanks for your help. All the best for the future.
03-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #25

Original Poster
Papa_Joe

I followed your directions and have just taken a shot of the yacht with the Pentax K10D.

How did I go?

Cheers

---------- Post added 03-26-21 at 09:06 PM ----------

What went wrong? Try again.

I suspect the file is too big to upload and I'd have to compress it which would defeat the purpose.

BUT the photo looks absolutely perfect on my computer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-26-2021, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Nice lines.

One question - how do you get it out ?
Wait for high tide or get a crane?
03-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's really clever. (I forgot about them)
Neat looking boat!
03-26-2021, 10:04 PM - 2 Likes   #28

Original Poster
Thanks Mark.

I've been trying to work out why I can't upload the photo of the yacht I've just taken. The photo I tried to upload has "File systems error". (I should have previewed the post)

If I upload IGP7294 it should work (cross your fingers)

---------- Post added 03-26-21 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Wait for high tide or get a crane?
There are carriers who specialize in transporting boats/yachts.

The guy who transported mine has a "U" shaped trailer which he reverses under the yacht, jacks it up and drives away. They move along the road at 100kph (65mph)

---------- Post added 03-26-21 at 10:16 PM ----------

This forum works differently to the forum I normally work on
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo