Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #1

K10D lens Manual or auto?

This is my first post on this forum so I'm feeling my way.

I loved my Asahi Pentax film camera when I was traveling but when I went digital I switched to Canon. When the Canon broke down I thought I'd go back to Pentax (but without spending too much money)

I bought a K10D (body only) and had planned to use the old Asahi Pentax lenses with an adapter. However I then decided to buy a Sigma 18-50mm lens and through a couple of deals on eBay I am now a proud owner of:
  • K10D
  • K100D
  • Sigma 18-50mm (Manual)
  • Sigma 18-50mm (Auto
I plan to use the K10D but I'm not too sure whether I should retain the manual or auto lens. Apparently professionals would use the manual (I am not a professional!) as auto lenses are not good in low light conditions.

Should I keep the manual or auto lens and give the other lens (plus K100D) to my son?

Thanks in advance

03-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! There are a number of different Sigma 18-50mm lenses so it's not clear from your post which models you have. Some get better reviews than other.
When you say "Auto", do you mean autofocus (AF), or do you mean a manual lens with an A (auto) setting for the aperture ring?

Gifting the one body and lens to your son seems like a good idea if your son is also interested in photography. I gave my K5 and some lenses to my daughter.
03-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this chart can be used to show how lenses work with your K 10D and K 100D

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

you may be able to find your lenses:

Sigma 18-50mm (Manual)
Sigma 18-50mm (Auto)

by looking for them here:

Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

look for information about your K 10d and K 100D here:

Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K100D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

03-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coopec Quote
Apparently professionals would use the manual (I am not a professional!) as auto lenses are not good in low light conditions.
It's not quite clear what you mean by 'auto' or 'manual' but I don't think are many (if any) professionals using a manual lens these days. I suppose 30 years ago a manual lens might be used by a pro with 'auto' reserved for those mere mortals who needed the help. However, these days nearly all modern lenses are completely "auto".
03-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #6

What model was you old Pentax film camera? You shouldn't need an adapter unless it was screwmount. What lenses do you have from your film system?
03-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest taking few photos in different locations with each lens and keep the one giving you the best results. You'll notice fairly quickly which ones you like the best and they'll be your favorites in a collection of lenses.

Welcome to the forum. I love the K10D and still occasionally use mine bought new so many years ago.

03-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the aperture of each lens?
03-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What model was you old Pentax film camera? You shouldn't need an adapter unless it was screwmount. What lenses do you have from your film system?
Yes it was a screw mount It was bought in Suva in1973. I think they may call it M42?

---------- Post added 03-24-21 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum! There are a number of different Sigma 18-50mm lenses so it's not clear from your post which models you have. Some get better reviews than other.
When you say "Auto", do you mean autofocus (AF), or do you mean a manual lens with an A (auto) setting for the aperture ring?

Gifting the one body and lens to your son seems like a good idea if your son is also interested in photography. I gave my K5 and some lenses to my daughter.
I meant Auto focus.

I'm sorry. Looking at the 18-50mm lenses again they are exactly the same

SIGMA ZOOM 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC Ø58 Lens made in Japan

SIGMA ZOOM 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC Ø58 Lens made in Japan

I bought a third lenswhich is auto zoom.

Tristar Auto Zoom MC 1:3.8 f=75~150mm No.818592 49Ø

By turning the body of the lens it zooms in and out but it is auto zoom? Maybe both?

I've done lots of googles on "Tristar" and as far as I can make out they only made filters. (I only paid $10 plus postage for the lens so I suppose I can't expect too much)

Thank you for all the links: I've got a lot of reading to do. I am finding the YouTube tutorials a big help (I've just have to find time)

03-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'd suggest taking few photos in different locations with each lens and keep the one giving you the best results. You'll notice fairly quickly which ones you like the best and they'll be your favorites in a collection of lenses.

Welcome to the forum. I love the K10D and still occasionally use mine bought new so many years ago.
Good thinking. I'll take a few shots this afternoon and as the sun is setting. The good part about digital is that I can experiment without it costing.

Having looked at a YouTube tutorial I figure that since I am taking run-of-the-mill photos of a yacht I am building a lot of the settings are irrelevant. But once the yacht is in the water I would want to know how to drive the Pentax..

Well I just took one of the yacht and it didn't work? Mmmmm? But the second one did work. (That's Lancelin Island in the background). This evening I'll try to work out what I did wrong
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-25-2021, 02:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Can you be more specific when you say 'it didn't work', please ? Was it exposure, focus, depth of field, camera shake or some other factor ?
03-25-2021, 03:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Can you be more specific when you say 'it didn't work', please ? Was it exposure, focus, depth of field, camera shake or some other factor ?
There is no record of it on the SD Card although when I pressed the button I saw a "flash". I really don't know why "it didn't work". I took both photos with exactly the same settings. But not to worry, I'm working like a one armed wall-paper hanger right now so I haven't had a chance to look at the YouTube tutorials.

That photo I took with the island in the background looks a little yellow. Are there some filters I should have in my "kit"?

Thanks you for your help.
03-25-2021, 04:38 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my recommendation

add to your reading list

the manuals

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k100d.pdf

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k10d.pdf

and move them to the top of the list
03-25-2021, 05:03 AM   #14

Original Poster
No doubt a good move to read the manual first but a much as I'd like to become an expert photographer I have lot more pressing needs right now. (Trying to get a yacht into the water).

You guys have been a big help. Now it is over to me to watch the YouTube tutorials to get a basic understanding.
03-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

All the parameters you set should be available in the EXIF data, but what I mean is how did the picture look to you ? Was it too bright, too dark, was it fuzzy or indistinct ?

Are you shooting RAW or JPG ? If RAW, any colour cast can be corrected in PP - if JPG, check your white balance setting. Filters, except ND or CPL, are not often used with Digital cameras.