Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" trouble in river city " with recently acquired LX

be advised that even after an LX has been worked on, problems can developed

my recently purchased LX was worked on by Eric in 2016, " CLA and serviced "

I ran two rolls of film through it, one has been sent in for processing, the other hasn't

I was using the " automatic " mode

with the third roll, the shutter remains open when I take a photo when using the " automatic " mode

but not if a shutter speed is selected

any one have any thoughts

Eric has been contacted by email

03-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you get meter lights when it hangs open?
It is possible that you have low batteries and that’s why the mirror hangs up? Other possibility is that your batteries are good but it’s got that issue that some ME Supers have where the exposure compensation gets a bad connection and turning the exposure compensation wheel back and forth gets the circuit up and running again

I was reviewing the manual the other night and they say that when the battery is low or more likely dead, the mirror gets stuck. Turning it from auto mode to manual frees the mirror. It’s actually supposed to do that to let you
Know the batteries are dead.
Hope that’s your problem.
03-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
haven't had time to check batteries yet but this is what the operating manual says:

QuoteQuote:
Operating the Camera Without Batteries

When the LED shutter speed display no longer lights, batteries are dead. However, the LX camera incorporates an electro-mechanical shutter system which allows the photographer to continue taking pictures over a broad range of shutter speeds even when the batteries no longer function due to exhaustion or temporary failure from temperature extremes. Should battery failure occur while shooting within the camera's mechanical shutter speed range (i.e., from l /2000 second to "X") no interruption of camera operation will take place. However, should batteries fail while operating in the "Automatic" exposure mode or within the electronically controlled shutter speed range (from l /60 second to 4 seconds) the mirror will automatically lock up as a warning.

To continue picture-taking, simply turn the shutter speed dial to any of the mechanically operated settings (l /2000 second to "X").

NOTE: Should you wish to save the exposure being made when the mirror lock-up occurred, before changing the shutter speed dial, first cover the lens with the lens cap. Then, release the mirror as described above and press the film rewind/multiple exposure button at the base of the camera. Advance the film and take the picture.
Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
03-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the forums are great

@aseno, the member who sold me the LX stepped up and immediately responded to my PMs

and the suggestion about the batteries immediately paid off

put in new set and problem solved

hopefully, it won't run through batteries quickly

thanks to all

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2021 at 02:59 PM.