Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

H1A Mirror

Hello all I recently acquired a H1A and after troubleshooting the stuck mirror/shutter I popped the mirror down and it is very dirty with a thick layer of dust/mold that seems stuck and not loose. How do I go about safely breaking it up and cleaning it correctly? I read about silver mirrors and such so I don’t want to use something that will damage the mirror I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and some Q-tips as well as some soft lens wipes. Thanks.

03-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My understanding is that old mirrors aren’t quite as fragile as the newer ones, as they don’t have holes for meters, sensors, etc.

Is the crud on the outside of the mirror? They sometimes will desilver from behind, which can look like mold.

I’d still be super careful cleaning it. Now may be a good time for a professional service. Mine’s seen a technician twice in its ~55 years...

-Eric
03-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
H1A Mirror

The mirror is a “front surface mirror” meaning the reflective layer of silver is on the Front or Top of the mirror. (It has to be for accurate Prism focus.) Because of that silver will do all sorts of things as it oxidizes, discoloration and mottling are the norm . We used to “attempt “cleaning, under the hood with ether and alcohol mix, rarely a swab though. Trouble is that silver will scratch quite easily with any crud rubbed across the surface.

Hang up and DRIVE!

Last edited by MikeMcE; 03-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.
03-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

if you decide to look at possible options of having someone else look at repair

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic here in Topeka KS

https://phototronic.biz/

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2021 at 04:13 PM.