Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live subjects as provided here are not the best for comparing sharpness. Better to use solid immoveable subjects having a sharp outline and crisp detail, like an ornate street lamp, for example. And do so in good lighting, which should be identical for all shots. Then, not using the lens at or near wide open aperture, and in enough light to attain a high shutter speed if shooting hand-held, though tripod use is best. Even higher if a live subject must be used. And enough light for all of that and to allow a low ISO value. But even with a tripod, wind can be a factor.

Also, best to use spot focus only with all models.

As to comparing with the FF K-1, It will be capable of higher resolution if you walk closer to the subject so your 300mm lens will have the same framing as your APS-C cameras at greater distance. If you crop to get the same framing, the 36mp K-1 will lose its advantage.

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If you shoot jpegs, it could be that K70 is using color profile "Bright" and K3 and K1 is using "Natural", which process jpegs with lower sharpness, saturation and contrast.

Without any sample images it is difficult to say what is the cause.
So true, and the factory setting for degree of sharpening with the same setting for sharpening is often different between models. For example, when the Custom Image selected is on the "Bright" category, where sharpening is up by +1 by default, the base degree of sharpening can easily be different between models, so to equal that +1 in another model, it might necessary to increase yet more to +2. Same with other factors like contrast, color saturation, etc. Regardless of this, I always recommend also adding "Fine Sharpening".

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I guess it miss focus or shutter speed is too slow.
My K3 miss focus all the time day or night when use autofocus with Optical Viewfinder, but keeper rate go up significantly when use with Live View.
I never got the K-3, but continued with my K-5 IIs then added the KP. With no personal experience, I have occasionally seen other posts where a K-3 owner has had some degree of AF dependability issue. Again, it seems using spot focus would be best for critical use and comparing sharpness.

04-11-2021, 01:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimillian Quote
... have acquired a F*300mm f4.5 ...
Good move