Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SD card size and type for K7?

Hello - I'm buying a used K7 and I want to make sure I have a compatible memory card for it, since cards have advanced far beyond what the K7 manual recommends.

I've read that the firmware needs to be upgraded from the original firmware for the camera to accommodate an SDXC memory card. So, when I have the camera in hand, I'll check the firmware and if it needs upgrading, I'll do that.
But I still don't know the highest level specification memory card for the camera. I read a Pentax Forums article about memory cards - Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

that recommended using a 32gb SD card if a person was using an older Pentax camera - the article is from 2016 and I don't know if they meant the K7 or not. Does anyone have any idea about the card size to use?

04-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they recommended 32GB for older cameras because it is the smallest size commonly available from the major vendors these days (based on a quick look at Amazon). A 32GB card should be able to hold over 500 shots (RAW format) from the K-7. That would be more than enough for me. Your mileage may vary.
04-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tallytvguy Quote
But I still don't know the highest level specification memory card for the camera.
From the Pentax K-7 Brochure:
"MEMORY SD Card, SDHC Card up to 32 GB (as of May 2009)."

Latest software update 1.13:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

Operating manual:
https://mypentax.ricoh-imaging.eu/en/group/6/product/17531/body/downloads/product-detail.hml

Last edited by Time Traveller; 04-03-2021 at 09:54 AM.
04-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just tried a 64GB SDXC card in my K-7, works fine. Formatted in camera and shows over 2,600 shots possible.

04-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks -- I was thinking about trying a 64GB card, I'm glad to hear it works in your K7.
04-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll need an SD or SDHC card if the firmware hasn't been updated yet. The SDHC cards top out at 32Gb. When you upgrade to SDXC firmware, you can theoretically go up to the SDXC limit, 2Tb. I know my 128Gb card works. A 32Gb SDHC card works out pretty well for still shooting. The camera says 1331 shots (RAW) available when I format it. I think class 6 for video is probably fine but I don't do video.
04-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

FAT32 has an artificial size limit of 32GB for volumes. In theory you can have and format volumes up to less than 8TB using non-native Window partitioning and formatting tools. Microsoft imposed the limit to promote NTFS and also for performance reasons. And some point the size of the FAT32 affects read and write performance.

On one of the RC aircraft forums there was some discussion of using cards cards in FAT32 larger than 32GB. With some camera devices (video) there is frame loss and lockups.

NTFS and exFAT are much more efficient for volumes over 32GB however there are licensing issues (fees) with Microsoft which is probably why you don't see exFAT support on older Pentax cameras.

04-03-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As already mentioned, SDXC cards are compatible with the last v1.13 firmware update, otherwise you're stuck with 32GB SDHC as a maximum. The firmware should be installed if it hasn't been anyway: you get a full-screen electronic level for the rear display. And if you're going to shoot raw, set the camera to record raw files as .DNG and just about any competent post-processing software can read them.

Enjoy the camera! I've been out shooting with mine again today.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 04-03-2021 at 01:30 PM.
04-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a 128gb micro chip(with adapter) in mine. Works fine.
04-11-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

It would be wise to transfer your photo's to storage well before filling one of those large cards. Think of the consequences of a card failure with thousands of irreplacable shots on it. Also, formatting a card is much less likely to cause problems than continually deleting exposures.
04-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the insight.
04-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
I use a 128gb micro chip(with adapter) in mine. Works fine.
That's very interesting to know. I always thought it was a set limit and you could not exceed the stated maximum of 32gb.
04-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good to know someone was able to use a 128gb card.
04-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by tallytvguy Quote
Hello - I'm buying a used K7 and I want to make sure I have a compatible memory card for it, since cards have advanced far beyond what the K7 manual recommends.

I've read that the firmware needs to be upgraded from the original firmware for the camera to accommodate an SDXC memory card. So, when I have the camera in hand, I'll check the firmware and if it needs upgrading, I'll do that.
But I still don't know the highest level specification memory card for the camera. I read a Pentax Forums article about memory cards - Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

that recommended using a 32gb SD card if a person was using an older Pentax camera - the article is from 2016 and I don't know if they meant the K7 or not. Does anyone have any idea about the card size to use?
Hi, I have my K7 in my hand right now. Also bought second hand last year. I have just taken the card out to check. It is a Sandisk 64 Gb SDXC. Hope this helps.
05-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry it's been a while since I checked this thread. I upgraded the firmware on my K7 to the latest, (and probably final) version about a week ago and began using a 64GB memory card. It's working fine -- it will be quite a while before I fill it totally, if ever.