Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Pentax k-1 Colour Calibration

hi guys hope someone can help i shoot a lot in pixel shift my workflow is raw Therapy convert to tiff then light room for some small alterations but now i want to make some colour profiles for my camera with the x rite passport problem is Photoshop or light room don’t see the profiles only if they are dng any ideas of a good workflow for this i cant give up raw Therapy as it is superb for pixel shift files

04-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
hi guys hope someone can help i shoot a lot in pixel shift my workflow is raw Therapy convert to tiff then light room for some small alterations but now i want to make some colour profiles for my camera with the x rite passport problem is Photoshop or light room don’t see the profiles only if they are dng any ideas of a good workflow for this i cant give up raw Therapy as it is superb for pixel shift files
Correct me if I am wrong but your Pentax pixel shift files are already DNG? If not they will need to be converted and Adobe has the free Adobe DNG converter.

Keep in mind that the profiles are actually Digital Camera Profiles (.dcp) that are produced from your DNG captures - not DNG files

RT will use .dcp camera profiles that can be produced from your Pentax DNG's and I would suggest using this rather than the basic X - Rite modules.

Do a search for Adobe DNG Profile editor 1.0.4 (I think this is the last version) and download together with intruction PDF. Shoot your Pixel Shift as DNG and use the Adobe product to make your profiles
04-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
hi tony it looks fairly in depth but thanks for the info i will give it a try
04-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you make the profiles for RT, that should do the job for you. The profile will be applied to the TIFF and will not be an issue for downstream processing. (Camera profiles apply to RAW development only.) I believe there are tutorials for using the X-Rite product to build profile for RT. IIRC, the process is not as slick as using the Adobe DNG Profile Editor, but should still work.

Steve

(...not an RT user, but remember previous threads from some years back where profile creation for RT is discussed...)

04-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
thank you steve i think i will try that
04-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

ColorChecker Camera Calibration v2.2.0

Use this to make the color profile and then load it in RawTherapee under Color Management.
04-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks sykil ive done that any idea what the working profile and output profile should be set to ive got my monitor calibrated ...another thing when i save the file to tiff will that colour profile be embedded in the tiff file

Last edited by andy271; 04-15-2021 at 05:25 PM.
04-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could also create custom profiles in Lightroom and have them applied upon import.
04-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

another thing when i save the file to tiff will that colour profile be embedded in the tiff file
The profile will be what makes the color balance of your TIFF. While similar in some ways, it is not the same as an ICC profile used by output devices or LUTs used by videographers. You make the profile and RT uses it to interpret the RAW data and when used to make the TIFF, the work is done with no need to embed.

Steve
04-16-2021, 03:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
hi DWS1 that wont work because i need to use raw therapee to demosaic the pixel shift images and it onlt saves in tiff
04-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
any ideas how to get prophoto as the output file for raw therapy it isnt listed version 5.8 raw therapee
04-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

any ideas how to get prophoto as the output file for raw therapy it isnt listed version 5.8 raw therapee
ProPhoto is designed to be a working profile; it's actually physically impossible for an RGB monitor to span it because it uses imaginary primary RGB values. Keeping your output profile sRGB is the best way to make sure your photos stay relatively consistent across platforms.
04-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

AFAIK RT expects these profiles to be already present on your system. If this is the case and you do not have the various working spaces installed you may find this link useful chromasoft - ICM Profiles

I assume you are intending to export as a 16 bit TIFF to enable pixel level edits prior to outputting to a specific device. In that case staying 16 bit Prophoto makes sense.
04-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
ive got a wide colour gamut monitor so want to make the most out of it all my exporting is 16bit tiff size is no concern but i want the output file to be pro photo but in raw therapee it doesnt have it listed for some reason

---------- Post added 04-16-21 at 09:25 AM ----------

on output even with the chrmasoft icc profiles i cant change the output profile
04-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

ive got a wide colour gamut monitor so want to make the most out of it all my exporting is 16bit tiff size is no concern but i want the output file to be pro photo but in raw therapee it doesnt have it listed for some reason

---------- Post added 04-16-21 at 09:25 AM ----------

on output even with the chrmasoft icc profiles i cant change the output profile
Perhaps there is a setting in RT to include the other profiles in its list?

Steve