Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is most likely a bottom plate used in packing a filter in a box. Doubt it is a filter at all.

04-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #17

Original Poster
@ 35mmfilmfan - I do believe it is a center spot diffuser -- not particularly exciting -- and it measures about 49mm. Short of breaking the glass on another filter and gluing the diffuser into it (and hoping to get it absolutely plumb), I don't see mechanically how to fit it into something else. Retaining ring? Do the two threaded pieces that hold the colored glass screw into each other?

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
it is most likely a bottom plate used in packing a filter in a box. Doubt it is a filter at all.
@Denver Yes, I tossed it. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.
04-19-2021, 05:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CountryGirl Quote
@ 35mmfilmfan - I do believe it is a center spot diffuser -- not particularly exciting -- and it measures about 49mm. Short of breaking the glass on another filter and gluing the diffuser into it (and hoping to get it absolutely plumb), I don't see mechanically how to fit it into something else. Retaining ring? Do the two threaded pieces that hold the colored glass screw into each other?

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 08:13 PM ----------

@Denver Yes, I tossed it. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.
Yes, with many filters, the actual filter itself is held inside the mount by a threaded retaining ring, on the 'female' (no gender issues intended or specified !) side of the filter mount. There are often two diametrically opposed slots or indentations in this ring - they can, with care, accept the pointed ends of geometry set calipers or dividers, and the ring unscrewed. A lens spanner should also do the trick, should you have one sitting around somewhere. I too feel it is a centre spot diffuser, but the surround to the spot looks more clearly defined and opaque than others I have seen.