Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Vintage filters

Hello all,

My brother passed along a box of vintage diffusers, assorted types, including a set of Cokin creative filters. These may be fun for playing in black and white. I have two, though, that I have questions about. I'll attach pictures. The one looks like a sand filter but I'm wondering if he could have broken the threads and just kept the glass. Thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950U  Photo 
04-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there should be a specific holder for the filters, normally threaded onto the lens, and giving you the ability to swap filters for different effects....
04-16-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
I have these for the colored sheets but the glass is too small. It falls right through.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950U  Photo 
04-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be some sort of spot filter but I don't really know.

Last edited by DWS1; 04-16-2021 at 05:05 PM.
04-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is there are some sort of spot diffusion filters. You could probably buy some square Cokin clear filters to mount those circles on using some adhesive.

Cokin does make a wide variety of creative filters, and on a digital camera one can more quickly see the results. I kept all of mine for this reason.
04-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
My guess is there are some sort of spot diffusion filters. You could probably buy some square Cokin clear filters to mount those circles on using some adhesive.

Cokin does make a wide variety of creative filters, and on a digital camera one can more quickly see the results. I kept all of mine for this reason.
My vote also.
04-16-2021, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your second picture looks like part of the packing in some of my filter containers, rather than a filter itself!

04-16-2021, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #8

I've never seen a Cokin filter like that. It's not in their current catalog and not in my catalog from the mid 1980's. It may have been added and deleted in between these time frames. However the diameter seems smaller than most of the circular filters.

04-16-2021, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Often the circular filter is then put in a square frame (as you have). Also circular filters may be inserted in the rear of the holder, such as the standard PL (not for example the yellow-blue PL)-, but these are in a much thicker sort of toothed circular holder. And, although none of the ones you show are it, there are Cokin A size--the smallest, and two I believe larger than the P size that you have.

Actually the circular one with the smaller OD may be a Cokin A size, to be inserted into the Cokin A size frame, and then inserted into the A size holder. I don't recognize it, but I only use/know the graduated NDs, PLs, and color conversion filters.
04-17-2021, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's not in their current catalog and not in my catalog from the mid 1980's.
I appreciate that chart, it brings back some great memories. I need to break out the filters I have again, it might help me shake off this creative rut.
04-17-2021, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've never seen a Cokin filter like that. It's not in their current catalog and not in my catalog from the mid 1980's. It may have been added and deleted in between these time frames. However the diameter seems smaller than most of the circular filters.
I'm beginning to think this is from some other maker and the frame has gone AWOL. He bought most of these when he was stationed in Europe, and there's a little bit of everything here: Hoya, Kenko, Vivitar etc. Thanks for all the input! Appreciate it! And that chart is fantastic!

Last edited by CountryGirl; 04-17-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something.
04-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a big tin of old filters, given to me by a camera shop. The cokin coloured glass plates are mostly unusable which is a shame but the grads, star filters and magnifiers are OK. I have some crazy ones, a rainbow, (195) one that fractures the image into four, (201) several with the clear centre surrounded by frosted glass, a couple that are just like a mesh but the one that confuses me is half a magnifier and nothing at all on the other half (113). What would that be used for?
04-18-2021, 03:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
half a magnifier and nothing at all on the other half
Imagine a bunch of flowers. Using that filter, one could magnify a particular flower for detail, but have the other flowers in the lower half for context/composition. These filters did allow for some creative experimentation with film, and most if not all would be a treat in the digital age. I really need to break mine out again.
04-18-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Imagine a bunch of flowers. Using that filter, one could magnify a particular flower for detail, but have the other flowers in the lower half for context/composition. These filters did allow for some creative experimentation with film, and most if not all would be a treat in the digital age. I really need to break mine out again.
Aaaaaah
Oooh that is clever I wonder how it would work with macro thanks
04-18-2021, 05:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd be interested to know the external dimension of the OP's 'mystery filters', as it may be possible to find an old filter of the same diameter, unscrew the retaining ring and substitute the unknown one to test it. FWIW, i think it may be some kind of filter designed to give a clear image in the centre, but blurred / diffused / whatever (depending on the strength) around the rest of the image.

@Cerebum - the 'mesh' filters you mention - are they the ones designed to give myriad 'star points' when aimed at a light source at night ?