Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1

A Million Thanks!

Thank You to all who replied to me with advice on my "House Fire Pentax". I did have insurance, however it only structural, with specified items inside the home, my cameras and lenses were not on the items list. Heat damage, this is something i didn't think about. I'm no expert, but I'll take a closer look at my equipment under a mag glass for that. Smoke smell, hadn't thought of this either. Makes sense now why i keep smelling it, like it's embedded inside the equipment. Surgical alcohol, this will be my first careful move to try and clean everything myself. Just one more thing; ThankYou~Thank You~Thank You, for your well wishes, good thoughts, caring concern. Kindness means the world to me, and it gives me strength!
Pamela 💙🦋💙

04-19-2021, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ozone generator good for killing off smoke smell. Ask your insurer - they probably have a contractor in your area who could assist.
04-20-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hope everything goes well from now on. Best wishes.
04-20-2021, 01:52 AM   #4

Star Brite auto odor eliminator might do the trick. Alcohol might damage some of the materials and finishes on the equipment.

Get the largest Rubber Maid container (or even a clean garbage can) and put the equipment in there with the packet.

NosGUARD SG Auto Odor Eliminator

04-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

All the best, Pamela - when my old place caught fire, all I managed to rescue was the ferrets. And, as I was (and am) on a limited income, I had no insurance at all. Hope some of the suggestions made help you.
04-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the best possible outcome for you! A personal loss of many things of sentimental value can be devastating to morale. But you just have to do the best you can to move on, and rebuild, taking comfort in what that is new coming your way that will bring new satisfaction. I sure hope that never happens to me!
04-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had some luck removing cigarette smoke smells on objects by using a hairdryer.

It sounds odd, but I guess a bit of heat and air movement helps remove some of the smoke particles.
Not 100%, but definitely reduces the smell.

Best of luck

04-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Pamela Libby Quote
Surgical alcohol, this will be my first careful move to try and clean everything myself
As per the user manual:

QuoteQuote:
Do not clean the camera with organic solvents such as thinner, alcohol, and benzine.
Soap and warm water would be a better alternative and should dissolve any of the tars and oils released in the fire and mixed with the smoke.
04-25-2021, 04:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Ozone generator good for killing off smoke smell. Ask your insurer - they probably have a contractor in your area who could assist.
I can agree with this, ozone generators are great from breaking down smells. I have a set of ozone generating lamps that my farther had, from his years working as an engineer in the lighting industry. We have used them for everything from removing the smell from a cottage fridge that had food left in it over the winter with no power, to removing smoke doors from cars, the smell of spoiled spilled milk from cars, etc.......

You need to be a little careful though, because ozone has other effects.
- Excessive ozone levels can if inhaled for a sustained period can lead to build up of of hydrogen peroxide in the lungs.
- ozone can lead to more rapid oxidation of polymers, causing them to become brittle
- many ozone generators work using UV emitting lights,
04-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best wishes for you.
04-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can agree with this, ozone generators are great from breaking down smells. I have a set of ozone generating lamps that my farther had, from his years working as an engineer in the lighting industry. We have used them for everything from removing the smell from a cottage fridge that had food left in it over the winter with no power, to removing smoke doors from cars, the smell of spoiled spilled milk from cars, etc.......

You need to be a little careful though, because ozone has other effects.
- Excessive ozone levels can if inhaled for a sustained period can lead to build up of of hydrogen peroxide in the lungs.
- ozone can lead to more rapid oxidation of polymers, causing them to become brittle
- many ozone generators work using UV emitting lights,
Yes, I was aware of the risks of ozone which was why I was seeking to direct the OP to a contractor so any ozone treatment was done professionally.