Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
As you are a new member, please forgive me for asking what appear to be obvious questions.
Problems in the past have been because of some of the below issues.

Are you trying to update your K-3 to version 1.42, and if so, what version is currently displayed?
Have you only transferred the bin file to your SD card?
Have you inadvertently downloaded the K-3 II firmware?

The camera will only go to the firmware download page when it recognizes the update on the card when turning on with the on/menu button combo is used.

04-22-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out these troubleshooting steps:

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

In almost all cases, it's a question of the right file not being in the right place.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2021, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just went through this same hassle trying to update my K1, realized my problem was formatting the card in the camera.
DO NOT DO THAT as it creates the DCIM folder on the card.
Format the card on your computer and then place the bin file on the card.
Hope this helps.
04-23-2021, 12:41 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Just went through this same hassle trying to update my K1, realized my problem was formatting the card in the camera.
DO NOT DO THAT as it creates the DCIM folder on the card.
Format the card on your computer and then place the bin file on the card.
Hope this helps.
The DCIM folder is not the problem as long as you put the bin file in the root directory. Formatting on the computer will cause problems as well. I have done it many times and the empty DCIM folder will not cause problems.

04-23-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #20

Make sure you have the K-3 bin file and not the file for K-3ii.

The bin file should be fwdc220b.bin and not fwdc230b.bin.

Try holding down the menu button with no cards in the camera. This should give you a blank screen with the current installed firmware version.

With a card with fwdc220b.bin file in the root folder in slot one leave the card slot door open while pressing the menu button and powering on the system. The camera has a fail-safe mode that won't allow updates if the battery is below a certain level.

How old or used is your battery? An old battery even "fully" charged may not have enough detected capacity for the camera to allow the update.

Desperation time - reset to factory defaults. This last resort will undo your customizations - I'm not sure if it will clear your User Mode settings - it may.
04-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I've had a problem similar to the OP. It turns out I wasn't holding the menu button down long enough. If you press the menu button, turn on the camera and them immediately let go of the menu button, the camera will start as normal. The menu button needs to remain depressed until the firmware screen comes up.
04-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my K3 as ps1956. I have been successful with other upgrades for my K3 until this version. I also updated my K1 ii with out any problems. I believe there is some type of problem with certain K3 and this upgrade. ps1956 if you are finally successful please let me know the correct procedure. Thanks

04-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
I have the same problem with my K3 as ps1956. I have been successful with other upgrades for my K3 until this version. I also updated my K1 ii with out any problems. I believe there is some type of problem with certain K3 and this upgrade. ps1956 if you are finally successful please let me know the correct procedure. Thanks
Very odd I updated mine with no issues. Just followed the instructions but I did do a quick format of the sd card on a windows machine not changing the file system before copying the firmware file over to it. Also used the same card that was in the camera used for pictures. Another note maybe compare what version you are coming from. Mine was a couple of version out of date.
04-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Updated mine the other day - all went well, but I missed the screen saying 'Update Complete' (or whatever it says) and had an anxious few seconds before I replaced the original cards and turned the camera on again, checking that the update had completed successfully.
04-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #25

Original Poster
Yes, I've loaded the file named fwdc220b-2.bin on the SD card.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, I've had a problem similar to the OP. It turns out I wasn't holding the menu button down long enough. If you press the menu button, turn on the camera and them immediately let go of the menu button, the camera will start as normal. The menu button needs to remain depressed until the firmware screen comes up.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I went through the startup procedure and held the menu button for about one minute. It didn't work.
04-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by ps1956 Quote
Yes, I've loaded the file named fwdc220b-2.bin on the SD card.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:16 PM ----------

Thanks for the suggestion, but I went through the startup procedure and held the menu button for about one minute. It didn't work.
the filename should be fwdc220b.bin Not sure why you have a -2 in there. Maybe try rename the file. Size shoud be 16,444 KB
04-23-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Make sure you have the K-3 bin file and not the file for K-3ii.

The bin file should be fwdc220b.bin and not fwdc230b.bin.

Try holding down the menu button with no cards in the camera. This should give you a blank screen with the current installed firmware version.

With a card with fwdc220b.bin file in the root folder in slot one leave the card slot door open while pressing the menu button and powering on the system. The camera has a fail-safe mode that won't allow updates if the battery is below a certain level.

How old or used is your battery? An old battery even "fully" charged may not have enough detected capacity for the camera to allow the update.

Desperation time - reset to factory defaults. This last resort will undo your customizations - I'm not sure if it will clear your User Mode settings - it may.
Thanks, the file is fwdc220b-2.bin. The battery is from 2013, but it shows a full level and I can shoot all day with it. The camera won't turn on when the SD door is open whether there's a card in slot #1 or not. I currently have version 1.21 running and the camera is working fine so I think I'll just leave ut unless a cure can be found.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kwong Quote
the filename should be fwdc220b.bin Not sure why you have a -2 in there. Maybe try rename the file. Size shoud be 16,444 KB
Thanks for noting that. I deleted the -2 and it worked. The strange part is that I downloaded the file from the Pentax site again to make sure that I hadn't accidentally added the "-2" and that's the way it came from the Pentax site. Any way, once I fixed the name the update procedure worked. Thanks to you and everyone else for their help.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
As you are a new member, please forgive me for asking what appear to be obvious questions.
Problems in the past have been because of some of the below issues.

Are you trying to update your K-3 to version 1.42, and if so, what version is currently displayed?
Have you only transferred the bin file to your SD card?
Have you inadvertently downloaded the K-3 II firmware?

The camera will only go to the firmware download page when it recognizes the update on the card when turning on with the on/menu button combo is used.
Hi, it turns out that when I download the 1.42 version from Pentax to my mMac, it adds "-2" to the file name. Once I removed that the update procedure worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.
04-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #28
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Once I removed that the update procedure worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.
Glad you solved the problem!
04-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #29

Thanks, the file is fwdc220b-2.bin. The battery is from 2013, but it shows a full level and I can shoot all day with it. The camera won't turn on when the SD door is open whether there's a card in slot #1 or not. I currently have version 1.21 running and the camera is working fine so I think I'll just leave ut unless a cure can be found.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:30 PM ----------

Thanks for noting that. I deleted the -2 and it worked. The strange part is that I downloaded the file from the Pentax site again to make sure that I hadn't accidentally added the "-2" and that's the way it came from the Pentax site. Any way, once I fixed the name the update procedure worked. Thanks to you and everyone else for their help.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 06:35 PM ----------

Hi, it turns out that when I download the 1.42 version from Pentax to my mMac, it adds "-2" to the file name. Once I removed that the update procedure worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.
Great stuff glad its worked.
04-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #30
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your help.
Most welcome.

Now that you have your K-3 all tuned up, and ready to go, looking forward to seeing some pix when you are ready....................