Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

Light leak, processing error, film problem or what?

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? I bought a Pentax S2 Super - it seems to be in great condition. I shot a first test film and most images are great - but just a handful have a purple artefact insuring from one edge. Here are the worst three examples (and most images are fine). All were taken with the 55mm Auto Takumar, however one of them also had extension tubes attached. The lighting for the three pictures are very different.

I also uploaded a couple of negatives that show this effect continues over the sprocket holes and is in a different position along the edge on one image compared to the others.

Any ideas/opinions about the cause?
  • It is an old, out of date C41 film - so maybe it was a film problem?
  • It was lab processed, but maybe there was a processing problem?
  • I don't think it is lens flare, given the lighting of the different images.
  • I wondered if it happened when removing the lens (I only had one lens plus the extension tubes at the time, but was exploring a new camera).
  • Or is there a light leak (in which case why does the position vary?)

I've put a brand new film in the camera now, and have two additional lenses to try, so it will be interesting to see if the problems recur this time, but I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas before I shoot too much of the film! Thanks for you opinions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
S2 Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
S2 Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
S2 Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
04-28-2021, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like it might be a light leak around the hinge of the rear door where the take-up spool is. On many cameras there is a broad strip of foam light seal on the door just along the hinge, which may have deteriorated or be missing. It may only appear when really bright light hits that area in a certain way. The fact that it's in a different place on the frame is explained by the varying spacing of frames as they get wound up onto the take-up spool, if that makes sense. Check it out and let us know what you find. If that's the culprit it's easy to fix.

Hope you find it!
04-28-2021, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The fact that the leak extends well outside the frame on the negative means that it's not coming from the lens and shutter side of the camera.

The fact that the leak is once-per-frame, usually in about the same place means that it's probably the camera not the processing.

The fact that the leak appears on the bottom of the final image means it's coming from the top edge of the back of the camera such as a bit of missing foam or a slight warping of the camera back.

You might try opening the camera, laying one of the developed negative strips across the film gate, notice where the leaks line up against the top edge of the camera and focus your search there.

Good luck!

Last edited by photoptimist; 04-28-2021 at 12:19 PM.
04-28-2021, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Untill you have got new seals, try black tape

04-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! Great advice. As I put a new film in before getting this one back, I will try black tape until it’s finished, then have a detailed investigation and post an update.
04-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You could try some empirical tests before resorting to the tape. On frame 1, shine a torch beam around the door after taking the first picture, then take an identical picture on frame 2 without the torch. If the door is leaking light, you should be able to see the difference between the otherwise identical exposures.
04-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
You could try some empirical tests before resorting to the tape. On frame 1, shine a torch beam around the door after taking the first picture, then take an identical picture on frame 2 without the torch. If the door is leaking light, you should be able to see the difference between the otherwise identical exposures.
That's a great idea. Just to further suggest doing this on frames 2 and 3 instead -- that way if the leak is at the hinge, frame 1 will be on the take-up spool and the leak will show up on it. If you do it only on #1 and #2, then only the leader is on the spool and it will be discarded by the lab.

04-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Super suggestion, thanks, I will try that.

Now I can’t wait to get the film processed - I’m almost as excited about seeing the result of the experiment as I am about seeing the pictures I took! ;-)
04-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let us know what you find. Curious now as to what caused this.

Best of luck fixing it!
05-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who helped. Now the camera is empty I could investigate. And it looks to me like problem is damage to the back. What do you think?

Obviously, black tape is a temporary solution, but how do I fix it? A new back? Where would I get one? Any other ideas? THANKS!
Attached Images

05-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
… and If I bought an S2 for parts, could I change the back myself? Would an S3/S1 back fit? Any other ideas?
05-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #12

Original Poster
After further research it seems to make sense to replace the light seals first. This is the corner by the hinge. Is that a gap in the seals? If so, has someone missed it when replacing the seals, or is it time to replace them all? I need to work out the most effective way forward!
PS. Still waiting for the test film to come back which might give me a more accurate determination of where the leak is!
Attached Images