Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7’s photographs are All Out Of Focus:

Hello Everyone;

I recently acquired a Pentax 6x7 from eBay. Despite its beauty, unfortunately, it arrived with a couple of focal issues.

From the get go; I have been unable to properly focus at infinity. Simultaneously, the photos made, are all out of focus. While they appear to be in focus through the viewfinder, the actual photographs came back quite differently.

Could this be the lens and/or the camera? And if the camera, could I fix it myself?

I’ll attach some sample images.

Thank you so much!

04-28-2021, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

would believe the focusing screen is misaligned if think you have focus and yet get out of focus results........not that i know but believe you could adjust the focusing screen yerself
04-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry, here are the images!

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
would believe the focusing screen is misaligned if think you have focus and yet get out of focus results........not that i know but believe you could adjust the focusing screen yerself
I believe the same thing, the mirror might be a very likely culprit. Nevertheless, I read that altering the mirror's position calls for re-aligning the focusing screen, which if true, sounds like a complicated millimetric process....
Attached Images

04-28-2021, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

distance or beyond the subject seem in focus.......another thing that crossed my mind is the pressure plate set for 120??

04-28-2021, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanGlassford Quote
From the get go; I have been unable to properly focus at infinity. Simultaneously, the photos made, are all out of focus. While they appear to be in focus through the viewfinder, the actual photographs came back quite differently.
Welcome to the forum!

What lens are you using and what apertures did you use on the above pictures? If you are shooting wide open on a 6x7 your DOF is very narrow.

Phil.
04-29-2021, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome to the forum!

What lens are you using and what apertures did you use on the above pictures? If you are shooting wide open on a 6x7 your DOF is very narrow.

Phil.
Phil's right on. Also, have you verified if there is a diopter correcting lens at the viewfinder - that may also be an issue.
You'll find the DOF is very pronounced.

One way to deal with this is set up a row of identical objects receding, and then use the lens distance scale.
Shoot this a few times, starting at about f/16 and open up the aperture. Then develop and check the results.
04-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome to the forum!

What lens are you using, and what apertures did you use on the above pictures? If you are shooting wide open on a 6x7, your DOF is very narrow.

Phil.

Phil,

Thank you for your observation. I have a Takumar 105mm, and was, in fact, shooting most of these images wide-open, at f/2.4. Although I understand that having the lens wide-open might be the culprit for some unintentional off-focus, I suspect something else could be the issue.

When I attempt to focus on infinity, everything is slightly blurry, except for certain objects closer to me. Oddly, when I photograph these objects that are in focus, they come back totally back-focused.

And yes, unfortunately, the problem does not lay within a diopter lens corrector...

Thank you so much for all the kind comments, I sincerely appreciate it!

Best,
J.

---------- Post added 04-29-21 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Phil's right on. Also, have you verified if there is a diopter correcting lens at the viewfinder - that may also be an issue.
You'll find the DOF is very pronounced.

One way to deal with this is set up a row of identical objects receding, and then use the lens distance scale.
Shoot this a few times, starting at about f/16 and open up the aperture. Then develop and check the results.
Very smart.

I might try that last suggestion of yours!

Thanks

---------- Post added 04-29-21 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
distance or beyond the subject seem in focus.......another thing that crossed my mind is the pressure plate set for 120??
Aaron,

Thank you so much for the help. The pressure plate was set to 120, but that was something I hadn't thought of, so thank you so much for bringing it up!

04-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanGlassford Quote
Thank you so much for the help. The pressure plate was set to 120, but that was something I hadn't thought of, so thank you so much for bringing it up!
you bet! hope ya get to the bottom of this and get a good/the right fix so you can shoot with confidence!