Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exposure bracketing on K-70

Is there a quick and easy way to set exposure bracketing on my new K-70? After spending an hour trying to follow the Operating Manual, I am totally confused. This should not be difficult to do as it is a standard procedure used by many photographers. Once the steps are set is there a way to retain them in a custom menu for quick access and application?

04-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You press the drive mode button on the rear of the camera (right on the four-way controller) and select the bracketing mode and settings you want to use
04-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Looking at the 5-way switch on the back - press the right-hand button. This is the multi-frame/timer select button.
2) The multi-frame/timer selection menu should now be on the screen. Press the right-hand button to move the highlight over to the +/- icon. That is exposure bracketing.
3) Press the down button to select which type you want. The first is basic bracketing. The hand-grip scroll wheel selects the number of exposures. The back scroll wheel selects EV range you want.
4) Press the OK button when selections are made. It should remember the EV range and number of exposures the next time you go into the menu.
04-30-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
Is there a quick and easy way to set exposure bracketing on my new K-70? After spending an hour trying to follow the Operating Manual, I am totally confused. This should not be difficult to do as it is a standard procedure used by many photographers. Once the steps are set is there a way to retain them in a custom menu for quick access and application?
Ufortunately, the Operating Manual is actually a very brief overview and not all inclusive. I highly recommend the Yvon Bourque ebook for the 70. Several Hoggers have purchased the appropriate book for their camera and found it quite helpful. Here's the link to access the list and purchase a book. Good luck.

Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

04-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
1) Looking at the 5-way switch on the back - press the right-hand button. This is the multi-frame/timer select button.
2) The multi-frame/timer selection menu should now be on the screen. Press the right-hand button to move the highlight over to the +/- icon. That is exposure bracketing.
3) Press the down button to select which type you want. The first is basic bracketing. The hand-grip scroll wheel selects the number of exposures. The back scroll wheel selects EV range you want.
4) Press the OK button when selections are made. It should remember the EV range and number of exposures the next time you go into the menu.
The above is how it works except that the name for the first menu used in the manual is "Drive Mode".

The default behavior is to require a shutter release press for each of the bracketed exposures unless the shutter button is held down. This may be changed (menu C2, 11) to have the bracket always performed as a burst.

Steve
04-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What everyone else has said.
04-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Ufortunately, the Operating Manual is actually a very brief overview and not all inclusive. I highly recommend the Yvon Bourque ebook for the 70. Several Hoggers have purchased the appropriate book for their camera and found it quite helpful. Here's the link to access the list and purchase a book. Good luck.

Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com
Probably the most effective way to learn how to use the camera.

05-01-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I do a lot of HDR bracketing with my K-70. Once you've figured out how to do it, such as suggested by @cdw2000, plus any other relevant settings such WB, ISO, F-stop, I would suggest you then save these settings under one of User 1, 2 or 3 dials, and rename it to that of your choosing. You can then instantly bring up these settings when you want to shoot bracketing. You can also make changes to the setup whilst shooting, such the number of bracketed shots or the EV value between shots. If you go to another camera setting, such as AV or Manual, and then back to the User mode, without having switched off the camera, those last changes will still be reflected. If you switch off the camera and then return to using a User setting, it will default to your original saved settings. By using this feature, you won't forget any important settings that you might later regret after the shoot!
05-01-2021, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I do a lot of HDR bracketing with my K-70. Once you've figured out how to do it, such as suggested by @cdw2000, plus any other relevant settings such WB, ISO, F-stop, I would suggest you then save these settings under one of User 1, 2 or 3 dials, and rename it to that of your choosing. You can then instantly bring up these settings when you want to shoot bracketing. You can also make changes to the setup whilst shooting, such the number of bracketed shots or the EV value between shots. If you go to another camera setting, such as AV or Manual, and then back to the User mode, without having switched off the camera, those last changes will still be reflected. If you switch off the camera and then return to using a User setting, it will default to your original saved settings. By using this feature, you won't forget any important settings that you might later regret after the shoot!
A very useful and interesting bit of information about the K70. If I had read more of the book perhaps I would already know this. Thanks for posting here.
05-01-2021, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you to all about my question. Since first posted I stumbled on to the right controller button solution. Happily your responses confirm this is the way to go. I will now explore RobSpain's suggestion to assign bracketing to the User 1, 2, or 3 dials.
05-16-2021, 04:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my ebook too. Helps a lot. The memory is not discussed for some reason or maybe I missed it.
05-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...The default behavior is to require a shutter release press for each of the bracketed exposures unless the shutter button is held down. This may be changed (menu C2, 11) to have the bracket always performed as a burst.

Steve
I don’t recall having that issue but now want to double check what mine does. maybe I changed the menu option previously when I first got the camera. Surprised that is not the default.
05-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #13

Ufortunately, the Operating Manual is actually a very brief overview and not all inclusive.
I found the operating manual to be quite complete. It was the printed start guide that was packed with my K-70 that I found incomplete. I downloaded the full operating manual from the Ricoh site as a PDF. I sometimes use that, and sometimes use the Bourque eBook, which is well worth buying, in large part because it explains many things better than the operating manual. I second the suggestions about setting up bracketing in a User mode - that has been my approach for some time. I don't always use bracketing, but it is easy to apply when I want it.
05-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I found the operating manual to be quite complete. It was the printed start guide that was packed with my K-70 that I found incomplete. I downloaded the full operating manual from the Ricoh site as a PDF. I sometimes use that, and sometimes use the Bourque eBook, which is well worth buying, in large part because it explains many things better than the operating manual. I second the suggestions about setting up bracketing in a User mode - that has been my approach for some time. I don't always use bracketing, but it is easy to apply when I want it.
I was referring to the start guide packaged with my K70, my mistake. However the manual that came with my K-x was also less than complete when compared to the e-book for the K-x. The e-book was much more explicit and inclusive in my opinion.