Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Pentax K1000 Wind Issue

Just got my K1000, total noob. I think my first time loading the film I might have forced something because now I need to do more than one full travel of the wind lever to cock the shutter. The film definitely turns when I move the lever as I can see the rewind knob turn, but if I only do one turn the shutter-cocked indicator does not turn orange and the release button doesn't do anything. If I then turn it again it may cock, but sometimes it's one more turn, sometimes it's 5, and sometimes it cocks in the middle of a turn and if I go too far the release doesn't do anything and I kind of have to keep moving the lever bit by bit and keep trying the release until it works.

For now I've been holding down the rewind button after the first full travel of the wind lever so that I don't waste a ton of film getting the shutter to cock. I haven't developed any film yet so I'm wondering if going about it this way will mess up the framing, or alignment of the shots.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or run into this before? I've looked around a little and haven't found any posts like my issue. I know folks suggest someone who fixes K1000s, just not sure if that's where I"m at yet. Thanks a ton in advance.

05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shoot a roll , process it OR grab an old roll, load it and remove the lens. Grab a pencil, set shutter to bulb , wind fully then open shutter and mark the film . If your sprocket is working your spacing will show that. The sprocket moves the film 9 perforations (if I remember ) One take up pawl lost its spring so the camera will work, as the spool has a clutch and doesn’t pull the film.

Hang up and DRIVE!
05-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I once noticed this on a ME Super. I think its the tripping sequence, it wont engage the shutter mechanism. The problem lies on the mirror-box mechanism which may be locked in place and need lubrification. try to see online for e video tutorial.
05-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
So I have a better idea of what is happening after winding the lever while I had the back open. As you wind, the shutter curtain should be moving from left to right, and when it gets into proper position it cocks and then you can press the release and the one curtain is released, followed quickly by the second curtain. Well when I am moving the winding lever you can see the curtains move, but then they will randomly release before getting into the cocked position. This is why it's taking me more than one full travel, and like I said, it's random when it accidentally releases and that's why it's inconsistent in how many turns it's taking me to get the shutter cocked.

Now that I know what's actually happening, anyone know how to fix? Or at least how serious of a repair is needed?

05-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Took off the bottom and watched while I turned the wind lever and I noticed that mirror return gear and winding-roller pinion don't always rotate with all of the other gears, it's like it doesn't "catch" all the time. I'm imagining that I'd need to get under there and at this point I'd want someone with some experience? Would that be a fair assumption?