Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very much doubt it is the battery. I have 4 Pentax OEM batteries from 2011 and 2012 and all still work just fine. Better than my newer third party ones which are not holding up nearly as well.

One thought is that it could be a card fault. Just speculating but if one card had a fault during a write that generated an error might that not affect writing to the other card as well? I've no idea how the writing process works but I can logically see that an error on the SD card bus might affect both cards. I believe the ability to write to two cards gives you a backup in case one of the cards fails but I don't remember reading anywhere that it safely mirrors the actual writes.

05-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Just curious to know what others think on this.

Yesterday I had a black frame and a partial frame on my K-1. I duplicate the writes to both SD cards. When I checked both cards, both had the black frame, but only one had a partial image - the other card was fine. So a partial write error to one card.

The battery was saying fully charged and indeed it carried on for many frames after these two glitches. The battery indicator showed full when I stopped shooting.

So why am I thinking the battery? Well, I checked and it's a 2012 battery. All my batteries are Pentax versions. I rotate them around my cameras. I suppose it could be the camera, but because of the age, I was wondering if the battery glitched. Maybe? Maybe not?

Apart from not holding charge, I suppose a failing battery might also be unable to deliver. Maybe? Maybe not ...

Any thoughts?
I'd be looking at the card that didn't accept the file.
05-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Yup, Bob, that's along the lines I was concluding. The battery's marked so if it happens again it'll be more conclusive. I suppose I could swap out the pair of SD cards too, which will narrow it down further.

Time will tell ...
Good luck for the monitoring if the fault reappears. Hopefully not.

Like many others already said for themselves, I have several genuine Pentax batteries and I rotate them in three bodies (K1, K-3, K5). The two oldest are 2011 and 2012 models, still working fine and lasting for so many shots I don't worry about it at all.

So it may have been a random kind of fault? You'll see if it happens again and again ... or if not, and then you can conclude better. Hope for the best!
05-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unlikely the card in my opinion, you formatted in camera before using, and they are Sandisk which are always reliable in my experience. I have a 2012 battery and a 2017 battery, the 2017 battery has a shorter life, but it has never died in mid shot. Hopefully a one time glitch.

05-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably a random write error. They happen sometimes for no particular reason.
05-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Cards do wear out over time. There is a finite number of writes that can be done on Flash. If you used them both together in each slot, it's conceivable they both wore out.
I would suggest running a program called h2testw on both cards. This will fill up each card and then read back the content, making sure all the data is still there as expected.
I use this program with every new card, SSD or HDD I buy. But it makes sense to rerun it on old media to make sure it's still good.

Format in camera isn't going to check the entire surface for you like h2testw does.
05-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the viewing of images were done in the camera or via SD card reader?
I had similar issues with my old reader , replaced now and all good

05-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the othrs, check the card first.
05-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Dirty/tarnished contacts on the battery might cause symptoms like those experienced.
Under no load the voltage could read fine, but as soon as there's work to be done the voltage can drop as more current is drawn, leaving the camera with insufficient voltage to perform correctly.
05-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Yeah, I think it has to do with card. I had the same thing with my old and now broken card. I still using the same camera + batteries and never seen the problem since the cards was changed. As many said, try to clean the connectors or change the SD cards.