Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery dying ...

Just curious to know what others think on this.

Yesterday I had a black frame and a partial frame on my K-1. I duplicate the writes to both SD cards. When I checked both cards, both had the black frame, but only one had a partial image - the other card was fine. So a partial write error to one card.

The battery was saying fully charged and indeed it carried on for many frames after these two glitches. The battery indicator showed full when I stopped shooting.

So why am I thinking the battery? Well, I checked and it's a 2012 battery. All my batteries are Pentax versions. I rotate them around my cameras. I suppose it could be the camera, but because of the age, I was wondering if the battery glitched. Maybe? Maybe not?

Apart from not holding charge, I suppose a failing battery might also be unable to deliver. Maybe? Maybe not ...

Any thoughts?

05-06-2021, 04:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

I doubt, it's the battery if the indicator was green. Perhaps, something to do with the SD cards or the write process.
05-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Format the cards in camera.
I've seen this with a bad card or one used too often or one where you deleted/modified files on the PC/Mac and it makes a mess of the card.
It might just be time to replace the cards.
If its the battery usually the screen will shut down while writing the last file.
05-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Format the cards in camera.
I've seen this with a bad card or one used too often or one where you deleted/modified files on the PC/Mac and it makes a mess of the card.
It might just be time to replace the cards.
If its the battery usually the screen will shut down while writing the last file.
I doubt it's both cards - one I could understand. I always format cards in camera before I set off. They are Sandisk extreme pro 64 GB cards.

05-06-2021, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I had similar behavior of K-1 with rare dark frames (or mirror not going up in Live View one or two times but with first curtain open - really strange picture on the rear LCD) before the shutter charge motor died... First curtain did not open at the beginning, but after removal of battery during the long shot in Bulb/M mode and inserting it back camera got responsiveness again.
Later I noticed some uneven sound during longer bursts (one frame dropped out - black), and then one day shutter stucked on second curtain forever.
I hope your problem is not that bad, because repair of shutter charge motor costs about 450 euros.
05-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My earliest Pentax battery is from 2011 and it seems to function ok in my K-1 and other bodies using the same battery. Do you have another compatible body to test it in? And it sounds like your newer batteries don't exhibit the issue?

Might have just been a one off.
05-06-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I doubt it's both cards - one I could understand. I always format cards in camera before I set off. They are Sandisk extreme pro 64 GB cards.
Hmmm... that's a mystery. I've had great results with those cards.

I've numbered all my cards and my batteries. So if I see one is underperforming, I note it, and then deal with it.

Is it just the one battery that is giving the trouble? You've gotten 10-11 years out of the 2012 battery, so that's really pretty good service. Perhaps treat your camera to a brand new battery?

05-06-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt the battery's age has much to do with it.

I am about to report on a series of battery measurements (draft report is ready, I just need to get a few graphs in presentable shape), including a 2011 D-LI90, and it performs just as well as its newer (2013 and 2016) siblings. I rotate all of these, too, through my K-3 and K-1.
05-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I had similar behavior of K-1 with rare dark frames (or mirror not going up in Live View one or two times but with first curtain open - really strange picture on the rear LCD) before the shutter charge motor died... First curtain did not open at the beginning, but after removal of battery during the long shot in Bulb/M mode and inserting it back camera got responsiveness again.
Later I noticed some uneven sound during longer bursts (one frame dropped out - black), and then one day shutter stucked on second curtain forever.
I hope your problem is not that bad, because repair of shutter charge motor costs about 450 euros.
Interesting re LV. I've not used LV much (I use tethered or OVF mostly), until recently when I've come over all manual and have been using LV to focus. So focus in LV then swap back to non-LV for MUP/remote & to preserve battery. So more battery consumption than I'm used to by doing it this way.

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
My earliest Pentax battery is from 2011 and it seems to function ok in my K-1 and other bodies using the same battery. Do you have another compatible body to test it in? And it sounds like your newer batteries don't exhibit the issue?

Might have just been a one off.
I have another body. Guess I'll mark the battery. Take a spare and monitor it.

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 03:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I doubt the battery's age has much to do with it.

I am about to report on a series of battery measurements (draft report is ready, I just need to get a few graphs in presentable shape), including a 2011 D-LI90, and it performs just as well as its newer (2013 and 2016) siblings. I rotate all of these, too, through my K-3 and K-1.
Will be interesting to see the results. As I've said above I'm focussing in LV then switching back to non-LV to MUP to take shot. Then I often bracket and take another one or two. Maybe there's a current surge that's required to handle these operations that an older battery may struggle with. Happy to believe anything as this could just be one of those isolated incidents that happens with tech.
05-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Probably a software or hardware fault on the SD card. As already suggested, format the SD card in camera. I had to do that again after a slight filesystem corruption on a rather new SD card on my KP.
05-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Probably a software or hardware fault on the SD card. As already suggested, format the SD card in camera. I had to do that again after a slight filesystem corruption on a rather new SD card on my KP.
But it happened on both cards on one shot and on only one on the other occasion. Both formatted in camera before I set off.
05-06-2021, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is one of those that I would say you have to wait for it to happen again. I doubt that it's a card issue since two cards show an issue (though different but similar). Likewise, I doubt it's a battery issue unless an intermittent failure occurred as you mentioned. Not a mirror or shutter issue or the images on both cards would be the same. Take mental notes on exactly what you did, what battery was being used, what cards were in the camera, when the shot was taken.
...............One of those you have to wait for.............
05-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

strange effect

I doubt if the battery causes this.
05-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
This is one of those that I would say you have to wait for it to happen again. I doubt that it's a card issue since two cards show an issue (though different but similar). Likewise, I doubt it's a battery issue unless an intermittent failure occurred as you mentioned. Not a mirror or shutter issue or the images on both cards would be the same. Take mental notes on exactly what you did, what battery was being used, what cards were in the camera, when the shot was taken.
...............One of those you have to wait for.............
Yup, Bob, that's along the lines I was concluding. The battery's marked so if it happens again it'll be more conclusive. I suppose I could swap out the pair of SD cards too, which will narrow it down further.

Time will tell ...
05-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Perhaps you turned your camera off too quickly after a dhot? That could explain failure to write files correctly.