Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
I shot some more this last weekend and found that the -1.7, -0.7, and +0.3 EV cover just about every image.
Way to go ! You will gain experience and bracketing is an "old pro advice" ... lol !

Regards

06-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Way to go ! You will gain experience and bracketing is an "old pro advice" ... lol !
The newest thing I learned (here, in fact) is that for digital pictures, exposures are essentially free. With bracketing, I'm now shooting SEVERAL "rolls" of film each time I go out. And why not? Memory is cheap. I bought two HUGE memory cards for my K-1ii and I have yet to even get close to filling them on a shoot/hike. I can even preview them on the way home from the hike (let my wife drive). And when I go to print the pictures, I no longer have to worry about the cancer-causing, mind altering chemicals needed to process the film or the prints. My old darkroom can be a bathroom once again.
I LOVE digital photography!
07-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #33

Original Poster
I'm really amazed how well the -1.7, -0.7, and +0.3 EV bracketing works. I've found "the best image" on all three exposures, depending on the subject. I'm really glad I got back into photography. Now I just need to start making prints...
07-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm really amazed how well the -1.7, -0.7, and +0.3 EV bracketing works. I've found "the best image" on all three exposures, depending on the subject.
It's a good way to learn accommodations needed for various scenes, but don't let it become a crutch for getting good exposure. Dynamic subjects; animals, groups, etc., are often best shot with a burst to capture nuance and pose. You can't effectively burst shoot while exposure bracketing.

Also, to the extent that exposure brackets are due to changing ISO, the same effect can be had by increasing exposure on post because Pentax sensors are ISO invariant. IOW, if your bracketed shots would be at ISOs 200, 400 and 800, pushing the ISO 200 shot two stops in post would look the same as the ISO 800 photo.

07-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
...Dynamic subjects; animals, groups, etc., are often best shot with a burst to capture nuance and pose....
Good news is I don't use my Pentax for that type of shooting. I have a Pentax P&S for those shots... The K-1ii is just for "nature" shots.
07-13-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news is I don't use my Pentax for that type of shooting. I have a Pentax P&S for those shots... The K-1ii is just for "nature" shots.
Kudos if you can get this type of sequence with a P&S or while bracketing exposure with your DSLR. I had to rely on a healthy burst to capture such thievery.

Last edited by rogerstg; 07-13-2021 at 08:44 AM.
07-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also say the specific lens and personal taste will impact your under/over exposure. I'm nearly always -1 stop more than anything the camera recommends just to reflect what my taste is.

07-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #38

Original Poster
Also, to the extent that exposure brackets are due to changing ISO, the same effect can be had by increasing exposure on post because Pentax sensors are ISO invariant. IOW, if your bracketed shots would be at ISOs 200, 400 and 800, pushing the ISO 200 shot two stops in post would look the same as the ISO 800 photo.
That I didn't know. I'll have to look at my shooting, but I thought the camera changed the aperture/exposure to get the bracketing, not the ISO.
07-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure where I stand in this. Recently I attended a webinar about landscape photography where the presenter said for landscapes, expose to the right up to +1 so the details are there without being blown out. Some others I have worked with say ETTR because the details are there but with ETTL the details may be lost.

I copied the photo posted by Richard L. and did a little post on it with PSE because I thought it was slightly oversaturated and the dark areas lacked some detail. I lightened the sky and got some more detail in the light areas. I also removed some haze and brought more detail in the ground area. I will post if Richard permits.
07-16-2021, 05:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I'm not sure where I stand in this. Recently I attended a webinar about landscape photography where the presenter said for landscapes, expose to the right up to +1 so the details are there without being blown out. Some others I have worked with say ETTR because the details are there but with ETTL the details may be lost.
This really comes down to what your gear’s capabilities are, and any presenter needs to emphasize that or stop giving presentations. I personally would never expose based on the shadows since the last couple generations of Pentax cameras do quite well on shadow detail recovery. (Well, except maybe if there’s a critter I’m trying to capture in shadow and I will be cropping off extremely blown highlights in post.) When highlights are blown, they’re blown and there’s nothing there to recover. (Of course, if shooting in raw, the blinkies on your screen are where JPEG clipping has occurred, so if you have just a little, there’s likely no clipping in your raw.) As further indication that Pentax engineers believe protecting the highlights to be critical, the K-3 iii offers us highlight-weighted metering. I’ve found this metering mode to be spectacular for sunrise and sunset shooting, when I typically wind up using exposure compensation to knock things down a couple of stops (even shooting bracketed) and have to waste time deciding on what exposure compensation to set.
07-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
This really comes down to what your gear’s capabilities are, and any presenter needs to emphasize that or stop giving presentations. I personally would never expose based on the shadows since the last couple generations of Pentax cameras do quite well on shadow detail recovery. (Well, except maybe if there’s a critter I’m trying to capture in shadow and I will be cropping off extremely blown highlights in post.) When highlights are blown, they’re blown and there’s nothing there to recover. (Of course, if shooting in raw, the blinkies on your screen are where JPEG clipping has occurred, so if you have just a little, there’s likely no clipping in your raw.) As further indication that Pentax engineers believe protecting the highlights to be critical, the K-3 iii offers us highlight-weighted metering. I’ve found this metering mode to be spectacular for sunrise and sunset shooting, when I typically wind up using exposure compensation to knock things down a couple of stops (even shooting bracketed) and have to waste time deciding on what exposure compensation to set.
Thank you for your reply, you make sense of the subject and that helps me a lot. I'm not really great on the technical stuff and all the little extra hints and ideas that are out there.
07-20-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #42

Original Poster
Kudos if you can get this type of sequence with a P&S or while bracketing exposure with your DSLR. I had to rely on a healthy burst to capture such thievery.
Even if I put my camera on burst instead of bracketing, I'd likely miss such a shot as I'd be just looking at it going, "Wow!". Afterwards, I'd realize I never even TRIED to shoot it. I'm not good with quick decisions. I tend to stand there with a deer in the headlights look...

That is a great sequence...
07-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if I put my camera on burst instead of bracketing, I'd likely miss such a shot as I'd be just looking at it going, "Wow!". Afterwards, I'd realize I never even TRIED to shoot it.
I think I might fill a room with great photos if I'd only bothered to take the shot instead of standing in awe. I know the feeling well but never regret being so immersed as to miss the shot. In this case, I took advantage of luck. I'd already confirmed exposure and focused on the stationary eagle eating a fish when I noticed the other eagle's interest. As it unfolded, I only needed to hold the shutter down. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
07-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #44

Original Poster
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
I think that's true in general....
07-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #45

Original Poster
Our local Botanical Garden has a "Night Blooms" exhibit where they setup glowing figures, plants, bugs, mythical creatures, etc. at night at the Gardens. I shot some pictures there last night and found that 1) the K-1ii with a 50mm F1.4 lens gathers more than enough light to hand-hold shots of the glowing stuff, and 2) I actually needed to LOWER the exposures to -2.3, -1.3, -0.3 to get images that were not saturated. I am amazed at the low-light capabilities of that camera. It was wild to look into the viewfinder, not see much, take the shot, and then see the image BETTER than it looked in real-life.

The K-1ii is DANG good camera for low-light.