Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2021, 03:22 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 after 10th frame advance lever gets stuck / friction

Hello everyone and hope you're all well.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to my situation with their camera.

For some reason as I finish a roll of film, after the 10th frame, it gets sticky and the advance lever almost gets "stuck" before wrapping up completely on the take up spool.

Usually you would keep advancing the lever until it goes loose or without friction - letting you know that the roll of film is now completely on the take up spool. or so I've seen on countless YouTube videos.

Any fixes or thoughts on this?

To elaborate a little more...

1. 10th frame. shot the picture. great.

2. advance once, advance twice, and during the 3rd advance the lever gets either stuck or great resistance is preventing from going forward. This has to be the greatest point of resistance.

3. There was one point that I advanced past this friction. It would then continue to advance but with resistance/friction.

however, one strange thing, when I open the film back, it would go on to spinning freely with no friction what so ever.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Best regards,
Caleb S.

05-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's likely the camera needs service. Which 120 film are you using?
05-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you are just feeling the film end not wanting to come out of the spool easily. Are all of the rolls the same brand of film?
05-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
It's likely the camera needs service. Which 120 film are you using?
Thanks so much for the response.

I have only been using Portra 400, 800 & Fuji Pro 400H. Sometimes that the exposed paper tail end of the 120 film sometimes folds over creating a small bump I have to advance past. Sometimes it never folds over and it still leads to that friction or abrupt stop in advancing.

I just finished a roll today. While the back is closed, past 10 is a bit of a struggle to roll up the film. However, after opening the back cover it advances freely without resistance.

05-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Maybe you are just feeling the film end not wanting to come out of the spool easily. Are all of the rolls the same brand of film?
Possibly so. it's strange to get that stuck feeling at the end of the roll. I'll see if I can take a video soon to pst it

I have my bronica SQA that rolls the film into the take up spool freely after the 12th shot.
also with the RB67, after the 10th frame-- advancing the film back lever until the film is completely rolled up usually is super easy.

I have been using mainly Portra 400, 800 & fuji pro 400H. So far the best experience has been with the Fuji.
05-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The current films have a more plasticy backing instead of the paper backing of days of yore. It may be just how the film feels. Does the back seem pushed in at all?
05-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The current films have a more plasticy backing instead of the paper backing of days of yore. It may be just how the film feels. Does the back seem pushed in at all?
The back as in the plate the switches between 120 & 220? or the whole film back itself?

in my experience so far, when I close the back after loading film, it still has some give. Like I can squeeze the camera and feel the door compress and decompress? not sure if that makes sense. I'll take a video illustrating what I mean.

I placed a new roll of Portra 400 in earlier today, I'll record a little clip of the friction that comes up after the 10th shot.

thanks so much. hope all is well

05-18-2021, 02:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

How much frames there are in a 120 roll with the 6x7 camera?
05-22-2021, 12:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
How much frames there are in a 120 roll with the 6x7 camera?
6x7 Cameras usually provide 10 frames for 120 film.
05-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #10

I experienced this yesterday. I was winding the film and suddenly the lever got stuck. I opened the film-back and noticed that the small strip of paper for sealing the roll hadworked itself around the metal pole, and this caused the roll to encounter resistance in being rotated. Removing it, the lever was fine again.
05-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aeraym Quote
I experienced this yesterday. I was winding the film and suddenly the lever got stuck. I opened the film-back and noticed that the small strip of paper for sealing the roll hadworked itself around the metal pole, and this caused the roll to encounter resistance in being rotated. Removing it, the lever was fine again.
I'll check that out and keep an eye out for it on this next roll I got going on. I'm going to upload the video of my experience and post the link in here shortly

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 11:49 AM ----------

Hey everyone! again thanks so much for all the responses and time taken to assist myself and the few others experiencing this.

this is the link to the video of my pentax 6x7, demonstrating the resistance I experience after the 10th frame

Feel free to take a look and hopefully there might be some thoughts to share!

Thank you again and wish everyone well