Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

K-70 time-lapse issues

Hi so I bought my k-70 a few years ago for Astro time-lapse and I had always had problems getting past a couple hundred frames. If I have a long exposure (more than 20 seconds) the camera will shut off after about 170-200 frames.) I use an AC adapter and an external battery pack. I have narrowed the problem down to most likely the camera because the AC adapter and battery seem to be fine and this issue only seems to happen with long exposure timelapses or low light.

05-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it overheating?, or a programming problem? Live view or not? Any noise reduction or corrections on? What are the exposure settings?
05-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Exactly what settings do you use?

Is your interval between frames long enough? For a 20 exposure, you may need an interval of 22 seconds or longer. (The interval is the time between shutter presses, not the time the camera waits after the end of each exposure).
05-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikaikatf Quote
I have narrowed the problem down to most likely the camera because the AC adapter and battery seem to be fine and this issue only seems to happen with long exposure timelapses or low light.
What exposure mode are you using?

If using in-camera interval drive mode, what are your interval settings (interval (or standby interval), number)?

If using external intervalometer, what are your settings?

What is your slow shutter speed NR setting?

Steve

05-12-2021, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
When doing long exposure shooting it better to set
C2 - 12. Interval Shooting Options to 2. Standby Interval.
Then setting Standby Interval to Minimum in the Interval shooting options.
Now it will take the next shot once the previous shot has finished. This way you don't get any missed frames.
05-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

What exposure mode are you using?

If using in-camera interval drive mode, what are your interval settings (interval (or standby interval), number)?

If using external intervalometer, what are your settings?

What is your slow shutter speed NR setting?

Steve
I've used both but recently I use the cameras time-lapse mode I have a 20 second shutter (I assume that's what you mean by NR) and the interval is at 5 seconds but I believe I have used longer intervals in the past and had the same problem and I honestly have the number of shots at around 1200. But I plan on shutting off the process once the sun comes up because I'm trying to do long exposure star time-lapse. In the past I've used an 3xternal interval meet but haven't found affordable one yet.
05-12-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Is it overheating?, or a programming problem? Live view or not? Any noise reduction or corrections on? What are the exposure settings?
I have no idea if it's overheating I have it plugged I to an AC battery and it's after about 200 frames the camera shuts off. I turn off noise reduction and the aperture is 2.8 with a 20 or 25 second shutter. No life view and actually I completely turn off the display and stow it facing the camera. I don't know how to know if it's a programming problem I just use the natural time-lapse feature.

05-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly what settings do you use?

Is your interval between frames long enough? For a 20 exposure, you may need an interval of 22 seconds or longer. (The interval is the time between shutter presses, not the time the camera waits after the end of each exposure).
I can try 22 seconds in the future but I will get about 170-200 frames before the camera shuts itself off I have a Rokinokon 14mm 2.8 wide angle lens that I set up and keep the aperture at 2.8 iso at about 1200 and a 20 (or sometimes I'll try 25) second shutter speed. Not other settings and I use manual mode
05-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikaikatf Quote
(I assume that's what you mean by NR
Your camera has a feature called "Slow Shutter Speed NR" where "NR" stands for noise reduction. With long exposures, the camera does a background subtract as part of processing that goes for the same duration as the original exposure, thereby doubling the time to take and process the photo. The default setting is "Auto" with other options being "On" (all longer than one second) and "Off". See the user manual p52.

When doing interval work, it is best to change the setting to "Off" when using an external intervalometer. For in-camera intervals, the "Standby Interval" feature mentioned above (menu C-2 > 12. Interval Shooting Options) might also be a solution, but is not one that I have experience with (not offered on my camera).

Steve