Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

DA 35mm 2.4 Focus Problem

Hi all,

I recently picked up a second-hand DA 35mm 2.4, and unfortunately it seems to be damaged. The autofocus doesn't function at all - no noise or attempt from the body to focus the lens. I have tried the lens on a K20D and a K100, verified that both are in AF mode, cleaned the contacts on both bodies and the lens. Nothing. Also, with the bodies in MF, I have tried focusing manually. The lens will focus optically, but the cameras do not detect focus, won't signal focus, and will not trigger the shutter release. Is there a way to fix this, or is the poor little Plastic Fantastic a goner?

Thanks in advance or your help!

05-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This lens should work on your K100D and K20D. Is the camera displaying F-- in the viewfinder? That would mean the electronic part is dead somehow, or contacts not effective but you already cleaned them... Can you share a picture of the back of the poor lens, so I can compare it with my (functional) DA 35 F2.4?

If F-- is displayed, I suppose you could try to take shots in MF though, but you will have to enable "Use Aperture Ring" in the setup. This is to allow K and M lenses to work ; it should allow you to shoot the DA 35 as well, but only wide open though, due to lack of aperture ring.
05-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your help! The viewfinder is displaying normally on both cameras. Here's an image (I cheated and used my Pixel phone - I know I'll have to be drawn and quartered now )
Attached Images

05-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the camera does not attempt to focus, it generally means that an AF lens has not been detected through the data pin (contact furthest from the lens retention pin) on the camera. That can happen if the matchning contact on the lens is non-functional or the internal electronics that do the communication are bad.

Steve

05-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If the camera does not attempt to focus, it generally means that an AF lens has not been detected through the data pin (contact furthest from the lens retention pin) on the camera. That can happen if the matching contact on the lens is non-functional or the internal lens electronics that do the communication are bad.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-12-2021 at 02:13 PM.
05-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Okay. Looks clean enough. If you manually turn the focus ring, will the screw at the back of the lens turn? It definitely should.
05-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Okay. Looks clean enough. If you manually turn the focus ring, will the screw at the back of the lens turn? It definitely should.
Yes it does.

05-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That means that mechanically your lens is fine. If you don't get F-- then the electronic part cannot be fried either. I am at a loss of what is happening here.

If you put your camera in aperture priority mode, then stop down to let's say F5.6 and try optical preview, will the aperture close a bit?
05-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That sucks. Sorry not helpful.
05-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #10

Try gently rubbing the electronic contacts with a clean pencil eraser... This often works with other electronics.
05-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If cleaning the contacts does not work, get a refund.
05-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This might be a dumb question but.......... is your camera in manual or autofocus mode? If it's in manual, autofocus isn't going to do anything but the camera should still detect the focus point and alert you when good focus is manually achieved (it should be working like a generic manual focus lens). Just want to be sure that little switch in in the "autofocus" position.
05-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
That means that mechanically your lens is fine. If you don't get F-- then the electronic part cannot be fried either. I am at a loss of what is happening here.

If you put your camera in aperture priority mode, then stop down to let's say F5.6 and try optical preview, will the aperture close a bit?
Oh, this highlighted another symptom. The camera won't enter optical preview mode with the lens attached.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 03:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
This might be a dumb question but.......... is your camera in manual or autofocus mode? If it's in manual, autofocus isn't going to do anything but the camera should still detect the focus point and alert you when good focus is manually achieved (it should be working like a generic manual focus lens). Just want to be sure that little switch in in the "autofocus" position.
Yep, definitely in AF mode. I have played with it in MF mode, too, and the camera will not detect focus, even when the scene is visibly in focus.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If cleaning the contacts does not work, get a refund.
That does seem to be the way this is heading...
05-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

While the "A" contact "gates" both aperture control, all it means is that the mount contacts are not evaluated unless the "A" contact is detected. Evaluation of the contacts will result in aperture control (no F--) enabled at minimum, but is no guarantee that AF is also functional.

I am pretty sure that most (all?) Pentax lenses having no aperture ring have the "A" contact hard-wired as "present/on". I can't say for sure for the DA 35/2.4, but as a prime, it is likely that the mount mapping for aperture range and minimum aperture are also hard-wired. The only contact with an absolute requirement for electronics is the "data pin", which for an AF prime is required for sharing that an AF lens is mounted and for coordination of AF function.

As for the OP...a refund is probably in order.

Steve
05-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already seconded, but I'll throw my vote in for refund as well. Something really not right with this lens.