Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 06:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 kinds of M42-K adapters

I got an adapter for my PENTACON 135mm 2.8, but you need to fix it to the body each time u want to use a M42 lens, isn't this stupid ?
Hopefully I found the reverse type that you fix forever on your M42 lens.
Only issue is that it makes an approx. 1mm offset so I guess you need to recalibrate infinity focusing and hopefully I already did that several times on prime lenses,
the only problem is removing the front ring where lens informations are written, I used to do it with a tiny flat screwdriver, but I don't know if there are better tools that don't damage this ring black paint...
If an expert can tell me how to remove these rings without damaging black paint I'ld be glad to know the how-to

05-13-2021, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Many people get the adapters that are copies of the genuine Pentax branded adapters, remove the spring clip and attach them to the lens semi-permanently with thread lock. Since these adapters don't add to the flange distance there is no need to adjust infinity focus.
05-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are already a number of threads/discussions on this mon ami. eg

How to identify a genuine Pentax M42-K adapter? - PentaxForums.com

Most convenient M42 mounting method? - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302385-pre...-solution.html

My preference, and others, is to remove the small locking spring off the non-flanged adapter and attach it semi-permanently to the lens. If necessary use a bit of tape or thread locker so it doesn't tend to unscrew. I also sometimes find, to get best fit, I need to use a layer of tape as a shim to get the spacing right, otherwise it's on the tight side mounting it. Now the lens mounts and demounts like a K mount lens, however there is no engagement of the locking pin (unless the lens mount is modded with a wee hole in the right spot), so that is something to be aware of when carrying around.
You have another option with the pentacon. Take the removable mount off and take it to an engineering shop and ask them to turn the end (the shoulder where the M42 thread stops) down 1mm or so. Now you wil still have infinity focus with the flanged adapter, they work best on these lenses anyway because the mount end is so narrow, barely wider than the non-flanged adapter. To work best with the non-flanged adapter the M42 lens mount should be comfortably wider than that so it sits against the camera mount plate.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 05-13-2021 at 06:54 AM.
05-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or set up a camera with the OEM adapter and never remove it from the camera...

also, look up "lens spanner" or "lens tools" for future adjustments...

05-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A circumstance to be aware of if using the "de-springed" infinity-capable adaptor as a semi-permanent addition to the lens is that, if the focus is a bit stiff, as it often is on older lenses, one can unintentionally un-mount the lens when trying to focus … bin there, dun that, fortunately I didn't actually drop the lens, but it was close!
Mostly, I use older lenses for subjects that don't need infinity focus, so I'll usually fit a "flanged" adaptor very firmly and rely on the lens release button on the camera, but I do keep a couple of OEM M42-PK adaptors around for the odd occasion.
Enjoy
05-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Many people get the adapters that are copies of the genuine Pentax branded adapters, remove the spring clip and attach them to the lens semi-permanently with thread lock. Since these adapters don't add to the flange distance there is no need to adjust infinity focus.
TY very much for the advice, gonna do that right now
05-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
If an expert can tell me how to remove these rings without damaging black paint I'ld be glad to know the how-to
It appears you have the flanged adapter rather than the kind that sets into the K-mount opening. A few points:
  • Loss of infinity focus is the rule with that type of adapter.
  • If you want to affix the adapter permanently, use thread locking compound, but be sure and use the kind that allows future removal.
  • Quality of finish varies with brand of adapter. I have a Fotodiox Pro model that so far is resistant to chipping.

Steve

05-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few years ago I bought a Hama M42 adapter because it came with a little spanner to remove the adapter from the body. I was getting tired of using a finger nail to remove my genuine Pentax adapter. It turned out that the spanner wasn't all that great to use. So the old finger nail remains in use.

No problem with the adapter itself, it's well made and just as good as the Pentax.

As for thread lock, I don't have that many M42 lenses (three). One of them is a Takumar 35mm f/2.3 that is far too valuable to mess around with, hehehe.
05-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the only problem is removing the front ring where lens informations are written, I used to do it with a tiny flat screwdriver, but I don't know if there are better tools that don't damage this ring black paint...
Find a rubber sink plug the right diameter. There are rubber sets of removal tools available.
This technique works for some lenses. the Bonus is the non infinity flanged adapter is more like a standard K mount lens.,
Attached Images

05-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It appears you have the flanged adapter rather than the kind that sets into the K-mount opening. A few points:
  • Loss of infinity focus is the rule with that type of adapter.
  • If you want to affix the adapter permanently, use thread locking compound, but be sure and use the kind that allows future removal.
  • Quality of finish varies with brand of adapter. I have a Fotodiox Pro model that so far is resistant to chipping.

Steve
I have the tool (stainless parallel adjustable bars, one side like a flat screwdriver and one side like a conic pointer used to unscrew / screw lenses rings fixations)
and on this pentacon it is very easy to adjust the front lens, there is no front ring like on almost all lenses.
But its focusing ring is very hard, I don't know how to make it easier to manipulate...
BTW I've put it on eBay and have quite lots of views so...

---------- Post added 05-14-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Find a rubber sink plug the right diameter. There are rubber sets of removal tools available.
This technique works for some lenses. the Bonus is the non infinity flanged adapter is more like a standard K mount lens.,
Very usefull kit indeed, can this be found on eBay ? Yes found from China at 30-40€ but a good friend is expert in repairing lenses and even bodies
and he has this kit, I can borrow it from him for free
He was able to repair the filters thread of my Series 1 and even to put me a +1 lens on my special focusing rubber circle part ! He has tons of old stuff like pro tripods... I'm lucky.

Last edited by bygp; 05-14-2021 at 10:53 AM.
05-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

can this be found on eBay ? Yes found from China at 30-40€
That is about 22 euro . They are on ebay but they will still come from China.