Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 firmware

I am having a problem. I want to upgrade my k-3 firmware from version 1.1 to 1.42 and have downloaded the zip file. I installed a fully charged battery, formatted my SD card and loaded the firmware bin file, held the menu button while I turned on my camera and got "nothing". No listing of the firmware version or option to load. All I got was the "info" screen. Under firmware/option I get the firmware version but that was it. No options. Anybody got any ideas...................D

05-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few questions:

Where did you place the bin file? In a folder or the root of the SD card?

Did you make sure you unzipped the file, or did you drop the zip file onto the card?

Also check out this guide: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250893-pentax-d...ate-guide.html
05-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also make sure your card is in slot #1, it won't work in slot #2
05-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes it is in the root because I formatted the Sd card and the "extracted" .bin file is the only thing on the card. Yes it is in the first slot. My K-5 works great when I turn on the camera with the menu button held down I get the firmware version info. The problem is the firmware info does not come up on my k-3 all it does is go directly to the info page............

05-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
"extracted" .bin file
And the extracted bin file is fwdc220b.bin?
05-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #6

Is the file named properly? The correct file name should be fwdc220b.bin

The file extractor may have renamed the file or you downloaded the firmware for another camera.
05-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes that is exactly the file name and so it still comes back to the camera not pulling up a display. It would not pull up a display of the firmware even before I had the file on a newly formatted sd card. What would cause the camera to regularly go right too the info screen when I am holding down "menu" while I turn on the camera?
05-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the menu button otherwise functioning correctly?

05-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
Yes that is exactly the file name and so it still comes back to the camera not pulling up a display. It would not pull up a display of the firmware even before I had the file on a newly formatted sd card. What would cause the camera to regularly go right too the info screen when I am holding down "menu" while I turn on the camera?
Ok, I did some testing. My K3 already has 1.42 installed.

With the 1.42 version of fwdc220b.bin and powered on whilst holding the menu button it comes up with upgrade 1.42 to 1.42?

With the 1.41 version of fwdc220b.bin it will not power on at all. So that prevents downgrading.

With the K3 Mk II 1.11 version of fwdc230b.bin it will not power on at all. Which is good.

Without any .bin file it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

With no card installed it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

With the card installed in slot 2 it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

I assume by 'info screen' you mean the normal screen not the screen shown when pressing the 'info' button?

So if it powers on normally whilst holding the menu button you either have no fwdc220b.bin file in the root directory or no card in slot 1 or a card in slot 1 the camera can't read. Or something else I haven't thought of.

Hope this helps.
05-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #10

It should show the firmware version when you hold down the menu button while powering on and no .bin file on the card.
05-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It should show the firmware version when you hold down the menu button while powering on and no .bin file on the card.
Not on mine.
05-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Ok, I did some testing. My K3 already has 1.42 installed.

With the 1.42 version of fwdc220b.bin and powered on whilst holding the menu button it comes up with upgrade 1.42 to 1.42?

With the 1.41 version of fwdc220b.bin it will not power on at all. So that prevents downgrading.

With the K3 Mk II 1.11 version of fwdc230b.bin it will not power on at all. Which is good.

Without any .bin file it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

With no card installed it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

With the card installed in slot 2 it starts up normally whether holding the menu button or not.

I assume by 'info screen' you mean the normal screen not the screen shown when pressing the 'info' button?

So if it powers on normally whilst holding the menu button you either have no fwdc220b.bin file in the root directory or no card in slot 1 or a card in slot 1 the camera can't read. Or something else I haven't thought of.

Hope this helps.
Maybe I will try a different sd card or perhaps load the .bin file onto both sd cards or another thought was to plug the USB cord into my computer to get another look........

---------- Post added 05-16-21 at 09:57 PM ----------

As far as I know by having used different settings my menu button is working ok.......
05-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only suggestion I have left is to make sure you didn't accidentally copy an older version of fwdc220b.bin to the card, re-extract it from k3_v142.zip directly to a clean card.