Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
18-135mm autofocus only works in liveview

I've got a brand new K-70, less than 500 photos through it so far. Any other lens I've put on the camera has worked just fine, but I recently picked up a used 18-135mm DA WR lens and the autofocus only locks in live view.

With live view off (just looking through the view finder like normal), when it tries to autofocus, it goes back and forth, never locks and beeps at me and usually stops just out of focus.

I've already tried cleaning the contacts and that hasn't helped. Wondering if there's anything else I can troubleshoot to try and fix the problem.

I'm probably not going to bother sending it for repairs, because it still technically works. But it's still a bummer. Since I got it used off someone online, there's no sending it back.

05-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try different distances, 5ft, 10ft, 20ft, distance. Different focal lengths, 18, 50, 135. Any patterns, or same in all situations?
05-16-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should work in both OVF and LV, I think you have dust on the auto focus sensor, I'm not sure where that is but liberal use of a rocket blower into and around the inside of the mirror box may fix it.
05-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
It should work in both OVF and LV, I think you have dust on the auto focus sensor, I'm not sure where that is but liberal use of a rocket blower into and around the inside of the mirror box may fix it.
Good tip!!

05-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I think you have dust on the auto focus sensor,
Brand new camera and other lenses AF fine, though not a bad idea though if having PDAF problems in general.

Steve
05-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
I'm probably not going to bother sending it for repairs, because it still technically works.
Since other lenses work fine, it is most probably a lens issue. PDAF (viewfinder) and CDAF (live view) work differently with PDAF tending to falter if there are issues with the light pathway to the AF sensor (per @Kevin B123; comment above) or optical issues with the lens itself.

Does this happen at all focal lengths and focus distances?

What are the other lenses that are working fine?

Steve
05-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You may want to try the lens on another Pentax camera to see if you get the same results. If it works on another camera, then it may be your camera that has a connection issue.

05-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
You may want to try the lens on another Pentax camera to see if you get the same results. If it works on another camera, then it may be your camera that has a connection issue.
It has the same issue on my K-50 (My only other AF Pentax)

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Since other lenses work fine, it is most probably a lens issue. PDAF (viewfinder) and CDAF (live view) work differently with PDAF tending to falter if there are issues with the light pathway to the AF sensor (per @Kevin B123; comment above) or optical issues with the lens itself.

Does this happen at all focal lengths and focus distances?

What are the other lenses that are working fine?

Steve
I've been doing some more testing. Up to 50mm the AF will lock through the viewfinder. At 50mm it struggles a little bit, but does eventually focus. Anything over 50mm won't lock the AF, and searches back and forth before stopping.
05-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It has the same issue on my K-50 (My only other AF Pentax)
Looks like it is the lens.

I've been doing some more testing. Up to 50mm the AF will lock through the viewfinder. At 50mm it struggles a little bit, but does eventually focus. Anything over 50mm won't lock the AF, and searches back and forth before stopping.
I suspect there is misalignment in that portion of the zoom range that results in an ambiguous pattern to the PDAF sensor. You may want to test the lens for centering defect at the longer end of its range.

If return is not an option, perhaps partial or full refund from the seller?

Steve
05-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a lens problem.
05-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

I suspect there is misalignment in that portion of the zoom range that results in an ambiguous pattern to the PDAF sensor. You may want to test the lens for centering defect at the longer end of its range.

If return is not an option, perhaps partial or full refund from the seller?

Steve
I'm gonna try contacting the guy I got it from, but I'm not super hopeful. Kind of what happens trying to go the cheap route sometimes.
05-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Send the lens back, if paid with paypal you have some chance!
05-17-2021, 03:21 AM   #13
sbc
Pentaxian

I encountered an opposite problem with one of my earlier 16-85s. It would only AF in OVF and not LV. I returned it to B&H for a fully functioning one.
05-17-2021, 04:17 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget the basics. Make sure all the contacts are clean. Maybe also get a screwdriver and check that all the screws are nice and tight too.
05-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
good news is, I looked back through his listing that I had saved, and he does have a 30 day no question return policy. So I've contacted him to get it sent it back. Sucks that it didn't work out because I was really excited for this lens, but at least the seller is accepting returns.