Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #1

third party lens

hello fellow pentaxians

I was going through my kp's manual and it says that faults caused by third party lenses makes the warranty void. Is this true ? Do third party lenses causes so many issues that they had to officially post it in their manuals ? How often does it happen ? Or is it just a precautionary measure ?

My head is reeling for I did not want to be shackled by the choice of lenses

05-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxnewbie1991 Quote
Or is it just a precautionary measure ?
Basically this, it's to protect them from you trying to fit a lens that you shouldn't.
05-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There’s virtually no way I can imagine other than a very weird accident involving an electrical fault or a physical mount problem that a lens can harm your camera. But I do recall the K1 pentaprism scratches created by some third party lenses. My guess is that is the type of event that made that legal language make its way in.
05-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #4

So I bought a Nikon D500 and a Tamron 150-600mm to take care of that problem.
For less mony than the K3 III.

It can focus as well and use all the Sigmas, Tamrons and some Nikon glas as well.
Keep my K1 and K3 for fun.

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 05-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.
05-16-2021, 08:16 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do third party lenses causes so many issues
Almost all makers include cautionary notes regarding other than their own brand lenses, batteries, accessories, and flash. A few example of why come immediately to mind...
  • Vintage lenses having the unsafe variants of the "Ricoh pin" may be difficult to remove should the "pin" foul the AF drive screw. Collateral damage to the camera is possible during the removal.
  • Some adapted M42 lenses may foul and abrade the power contacts in the mirror box with their aperture actuator pins.
  • Third-party batteries represent several potential risks, particularly if used with in-camera charging. Ditto the above for third-party AC adapters.
  • Improper fittings for microphone, headphone, remote release, power, data all have potential for damage and one can find help requests on this site as evidence that it does happen.
  • Put that high-voltage Vivitar flash that worked great on your ME Super film camera on the hot shoe of your dSLR and with any luck the camera will do a recoverable lock-up and shutdown. Without luck, there may be smoke.
All of the above being noted, most of us here own and use an assemblage of non-Pentax lenses, batteries, accessories, and flash. I use hot shoe accessories from Yongnuo (radio triggers and flash) and Sigma (P-TTL flash), batteries from Watson and Wasabi, an AC adapter from HQRP , Bowen wired intervalometer, Yongnuo radio remote shutter release, and literally dozens of non-Pentax lenses, including my main walk-around Sigma 17-70.

To lessen risk, buy new from reputable dealers and ask questions if unsure. Most recent name-brand products advertised as Pentax compatible will be quite safe with the possible exception of non-Pentax M42 lens adapters where caution is always appropriate.

Steve

(...some of my lenses are labeled in Cyrillic... )
05-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't use a manual lens with the critical Ricoh-pin nor a M42 lens as Steve described nobody is going to find out.
I would not use cheap batteries either. Twice did I come across some which did swell up and sat too tight in the compartment.
If the swell up it means chemical reactions, which you want to avoid anyway like hell inside your KP (or any Pentax)
05-17-2021, 01:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
So I bought a Nikon D500 and a Tamron 150-600mm to take care of that problem.
For less mony than the K3 III.

It can focus as well and use all the Sigmas, Tamrons and some Nikon glas as well.
Keep my K1 and K3 for fun.
But I guess there is in the Nikon warranty also a precaution for damage caused by wrong usage! And Ricoh is a friendly () company that warns you about a specific wrong usage. But let us be honest, if a third party lens or flash damages the camera it should be that third party that repairs the damage and not the camera manufacturer. And now you just have a Nikon D500, but not that wonderful K-3 Mark III.

---------- Post added 17th May 2021 at 10:35 ----------

hello fellow pentaxians

I was going through my kp's manual and it says that faults caused by third party lenses makes the warranty void. Is this true ? Do third party lenses causes so many issues that they had to officially post it in their manuals ? How often does it happen ? Or is it just a precautionary measure ?

If third party equipment is the cause of malfunctioning that third party has to repair the damage. Sigma reverse engineered the lenses to fit a Pentax camera, which means they do not use (and pay for) Pentax developed electronics and algorithms to have the camera and lens work together. If the Sigma then damages the camera it is not fair that Ricoh should repair the damage. That is what this is all about.

05-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
But I guess there is in the Nikon warranty also a precaution for damage caused by wrong usage! And Ricoh is a friendly () company that warns you about a specific wrong usage. But let us be honest, if a third party lens or flash damages the camera it should be that third party that repairs the damage and not the camera manufacturer. And now you just have a Nikon D500, but not that wonderful K-3 Mark III.

---------- Post added 17th May 2021 at 10:35 ----------

If third party equipment is the cause of malfunctioning that third party has to repair the damage. Sigma reverse engineered the lenses to fit a Pentax camera, which means they do not use (and pay for) Pentax developed electronics and algorithms to have the camera and lens work together. If the Sigma then damages the camera it is not fair that Ricoh should repair the damage. That is what this is all about.
Cameras are not religion.
Nikon and Tamron are also doing well.
Owning Pentaxis, Nikons and Tamrons etc gives You space.

Or?
05-17-2021, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Since when?
05-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #10

Since when?
After Kodak Instamatik left and Pentax denied Electric Prisms.😁
05-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

After Kodak Instamatik left and Pentax denied Electric Prisms.😁
Why then are there camera's with in bold letters "CANON" (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/canon) on top? (I know it is beside this thread's topic, but it is so funny.)
05-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #12

Big cameras big LETTERS!
05-17-2021, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nikon and Tamron are also doing well.
Owning Pentaxis, Nikons and Tamrons etc gives You space.

Or?
...or, one could post on topic? What does your Nikon manual say about use of non-Nikon lenses?

Steve
05-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

hello fellow pentaxians

I tried to find this passage in my manual but I can not find it, can you tell me on which page?
05-17-2021, 03:23 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried to find this passage in my manual but I can not find it, can you tell me on which page?
Page 37

Steve