Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #1

Light leak or lab mess up?

Got some film back from the lab and am pretty upset with the results. I'm worried there is a light leak/an issue in the camera from looking at these images, but I can't be sure. It also could be the lab? Any help appreciated as I'm a bit lost.

The reason I'm is because not all of the negatives I got back have these marks/anomalies featured in the images attached...

Any help is appreciated!

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 06:11 AM ----------

camera is pentax 6x7

Attached Images

05-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll vote "lab"; no way a light leak gives you that blue streak.
05-17-2021, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Assuming this was B&W film, almost the only way to get a colored line is a flaw in the scanner (cyan = stuck red pixels in the scan head).

Check the physical negative for these artifacts.
05-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I'll vote "lab"; no way a light leak gives you that blue streak.
sorry - should have added: the blue streak is from my epson v600 - can't seem to get lines off scans.
this changes your answer maybe?

05-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Assuming this was B&W film, almost the only way to get a colored line is a flaw in the scanner (cyan = stuck red pixels in the scan head).

Check the physical negative for these artifacts.
coloured line is from my scanner. the other marks are not though. they appear on the negatives.
05-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dirty rollers in the film processor? Old or depleted chemistry?
05-17-2021, 07:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Dirty rollers in the film processor? Old or depleted chemistry?
could be. as i didn't develop these, can't pinpoint what went wrong. do you think it's a light leak?

05-17-2021, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smr003 Quote
do you think it's a light leak?
No, a light leak would be stronger in it's effect and more consistent. But . . . I could be wrong in this.

Added: Poor agitation if developed by hand could have a similar effect.
05-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As photoptimist suggested, check the original negatives and look to see if the lines extend into the unexposed areas between the images which would indicate developing issues (which it does look like from the appearance of those shots). Also, any chance you could make a quick contact print from the negative strip on actual photo paper? That would rule out scanner issues (though the visual examination of the negatives might make this unnecessary).
05-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smr003 Quote
sorry - should have added: the blue streak is from my epson v600 - can't seem to get lines off scans.
this changes your answer maybe?
To get rid of those colored lines, make sure the glass under the calibration window is clean of dust or smudges. The calibration window is a small slot that is the same width as the film strip and aligned with the film strip, towards the end where the scanning head is.

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 01:22 PM ----------

About uneven brightness i don't have enough experience to say if it's processing, film not being flat when exposed, etc
05-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A common source of streaks and blotches is poor fluid flow around the film during development. And with color negatives, you could even think of other possibilities. Now the chances of just 3 out of 10 negatives only having the problem gives me pause. Were the streaky negatives in sequence on the roll or were they randomly spaced?
05-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Do these images all come from the same roll of film?
Any light leaks will (almost) certainly be visible in the negative margins, outside of the image area.
There's certainly something weird going on, assuming the whole neg is shown here, 'cos the "streaks" appear to run "top to bottom" in the portrait-mode beach scene, ie. the length of the negative, but also run "top to bottom" in the landscape-mode beached boat scene, which would be the width of the negative!
You may have multiple issues. The beached boat does look like a light leak, this could be before the film is loaded, whilst in the camera, when unloaded or in the lab … very difficult to nail down the cause without loading/unloading the camera in a changing bag and then processing the film yourself.
The beach scene looks more like a mechanical issue, possibly a sticky or dirty film guide or roller in the camera, something faulty in the lab equipment, (this would depend on how automated the lab is) or clumsy wiping down when the film comes out of the wash. Again, carefully monitored home processing should help isolate the issues.
Everything could possibly also be explained by out-of-date or badly stored film!
Unless there's good reason not to, for the simple development of black & white film at home, the expense is relatively minimal, the process fairly simple and the results far more controllable and predictable.
Good luck !
05-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am in agreement with some of the others, this looks like bad chemistry or dirty rollers.
05-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. Looks like bad lab processing.
05-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Added: Poor agitation if developed by hand could have a similar effect.
Could this be why my local shop charges more than twice more for bw film, because they develop it by hand instead of going through a machine like c41? (I develop mine at home)