Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2021, 04:44 AM   #1

Firmware upgrade possible in 2 card slots?

I would like to ask for help. On my second hand computer I bought, the card slot 1 is defective, where the card containing the firmware update should be inserted. I would like some advice on whether there is any way of soldering the update from card slot 2. Thank you!

05-22-2021, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #2

It doesn't matter which SD slot you use on the computer, you must use slot 1 on the camera thou
05-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
It doesn't matter which SD slot you use on the computer, you must use slot 1 on the camera thou
Sorry, the translation from Hungarian was wrong, of course the camera has the wrong card slot 1.
05-22-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know you must use card slot 1 on the camera. The camera doesn't even look for the update file on slot #2. I think you will either need to have the card slot repaired or not do the firmware update.

05-22-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by suynem Quote
Sorry, the translation from Hungarian was wrong, of course the camera has the wrong card slot 1.
Üdvözöljük

I think you are not going to succeed unless you have the camera repaired.

What is the camera model; what is the current firmware version ; and what lenses do you have to use on it ? You may not need the firmware update.
05-22-2021, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Üdvözöljük

What is the camera model; what is the current firmware version ; and what lenses do you have to use on it ? You may not need the firmware update.
Thank you all for your help. It is running frimware 1.21. I currently have the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135 mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens. I also often use the Sigma Pentax 17-70/2.8-4.5 DC Macro lens.
05-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
Üdvözöljük

Oh, and the camera model is Pentax K-3.

05-22-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

as you have discovered you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here is the link to the firmware for that camera

Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

it is up to version 1.42

. . . .I think you are not going to succeed unless you have the camera repaired....
there is apparently a company that works on Pentax in Hungary

QuoteQuote:
At our service centre, which has been in place for more than 25 years, we service Canon, Pentax, Ricoh, Tamron and Sigma photo equipment beyond warranty and warranty period. Thanks to the support of our clients over many years, our professional knowledge has been expanded through organized trainings and professional trainings and exercises in many central European service offices. Our experience has enabled the establishment of a service centre with highly qualified technical staff.
https://camerakft.com/

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-22-2021 at 08:57 AM.
05-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

Oh, and the camera model is Pentax K-3.
Did you check the sd-card slot with a light to see what is causing the issue? Sometimes there is an obstruction caused by a piece of an sd-card stuck in the slot. Or one of the contacts is not properly aligned.
05-22-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is running frimware 1.21.
Ok. The good news is that you already have a lot of firmware updates on your camera. If you avoid the lenses detailed in the later updates you should not have a problem using and enjoying your camera.

Changes to V1.42

Optimized focus operation for new lenses HD PENTAX-FA 31 mm F1.8 Limited, HD PENTAX-FA 43 mm F1.9 Limited, HD PENTAX-FA 77 mm F1.8 Limited lenses and smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL limited, smc PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9AL limited and smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8AL limited lenses.

*Contents of [Version 1.41] and earlier version will be also updated.

Changes to V1.41

Optimized performance when attaching new lens HD PENTAX-D FA*85mmF1.4ED SDM AW.

*Contents of [Version 1.40] and earlier version will be also updated.

Changes to V1.40

Optimized performance when attaching new lens HD PENTAX-D FA*50mmF1.4 SDM AW.
Improved stability for general performance.

*Contents of [Version 1.30] and earlier version will be also updated.

Changes to V1.30

Corresponded to [KAF4 lens mount] that is equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm control system.
Enable new lens HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mmF4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE to shoot stable by updating firmware.
Improved stability for general performance.
05-22-2021, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to ask for help. On my second hand "PENTAX K3" I bought, the card slot 1 is defective, where the card containing the firmware update should be inserted. I would like some advice on whether there is any way of soldering the update from card slot 2. Thank you!
Firmware-update is NOT POSSIBLE in slot #2!

Every Pentax with 2 x slots needs slot#1 to be used for firmware-update!

Repair of slot#1 is expensive.

The mainboard needs to be taken out:
- Slot-1 is located on the frontside of the mainboard
- Slot-2 is located on the backside of the mainboard
= Complicated soldering! Only for the very experienced!

With firmware 1.2 it is NOT POSSIBLE to use KAF4 lenses such as the DA55-300PLM!
The DA55-300PLM needs firmware 1.3 !!!

Last edited by photogem; 05-22-2021 at 09:58 PM.
05-23-2021, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as pointed out the bad news is none of these:

D FA* 50mm F1.4,
D FA* 85mm F1.4,
D FA 70-210mm F4
DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE

can be used because of their KAF4 mount

the good news is Pentax makes ( and made ) plenty of other good lenses that can be used

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
05-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Did you check the sd-card slot with a light to see what is causing the issue? Sometimes there is an obstruction caused by a piece of an sd-card stuck in the slot. Or one of the contacts is not properly aligned.
Le van ragasztva a kártyanyílás.

---------- Post added 05-23-21 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
The card slot is glued down.
05-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Do you mean the card slot cover ?
05-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks to me like the update is not needed, unless you will be buying the lenses for which the update is supposed to improve autofocus. These are all FA lenses of the very expensive type among FA series lenses. The lenses you already have are very good ones, and would not be improved by the update on your K-3. If wanting to obtain some of the Limited prime lenses, the DA series Limited lenses are still very fine, and do not need the update.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-23-2021 at 12:30 PM.