Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Large splinter inside lens... problem?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys,

I was taking photos of scenery in my backyard today, and I picked up some sticks along the way to clean up the yard a bit (cottonwoods shed branches like crazy). Well, it seems that my 55-300 PLM decided to lighten my load a bit and picked up this large shard of what appears to be wood behind the front element. Originally it was fairly front and center but with some finagling it has fallen a bit edge-ward. I think the lens picked it up when I zoomed the lens after picking up the sticks. Should I be worried about a fleck so large? Should I expect it to affect image quality? Is this something I should try and send out to fix? Can I myself fix this? How would you feel if this was your lens? Feeling a little bummed about it, I am generally pretty careful with the camera, and I haven't had this lens too long (since ~ Feb)

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G970U1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G970U1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G970U1  Photo 
05-24-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry - there are lenses out there a lot worse than yours that still take acceptable (well, depends, ...) pictures: How Dust and Damage on Lenses Affect Image Quality | PetaPixel

I couldn't find it, but somewhere out in web-land is a similar set of pictures with a more-and-more shattered lens, and it takes lot of damage to really mess up an image!

I suspect you are more likely to mess things up by trying to fix it, unless that front protective ring comes off easily (some do).
05-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RocksandRocks Quote
Hi guys,

I was taking photos of scenery in my backyard today, and I picked up some sticks along the way to clean up the yard a bit (cottonwoods shed branches like crazy). Well, it seems that my 55-300 PLM decided to lighten my load a bit and picked up this large shard of what appears to be wood behind the front element. Originally it was fairly front and center but with some finagling it has fallen a bit edge-ward. I think the lens picked it up when I zoomed the lens after picking up the sticks. Should I be worried about a fleck so large? Should I expect it to affect image quality? Is this something I should try and send out to fix? Can I myself fix this? How would you feel if this was your lens? Feeling a little bummed about it, I am generally pretty careful with the camera, and I haven't had this lens too long (since ~ Feb)

Thanks for looking!
I thought the plm was weather resistent? That should make it impossible to suck up what you are showing in the pics... which may mean it was always in the lens from the factory and only recently moved to the lens element. If under warranty still Id consider sending it in for service. It may also just work itself off the lens elements.

Al
05-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will never see it in most cases. Take a look at this: Lens Rentals | Blog

05-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
..which may mean it was always in the lens from the factory and only recently moved to the lens element...

Al
My DA*55 has dust half the size of what the OP's lens has. It is a second hand lenses and I don't know what the original owner has done to get that things in there but I guess, it get in from the rear part of the lens.
It doesn't have an effect on the image quality so the OP shouldn't be too worry. But if it is still under a warrantee, do whatever to get a cleaner copy is a good idea.
05-25-2021, 12:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually you can open such a lens with a rubber repair tool like those:
rubber lens tool | eBay
alibaba or aliexpress might be cheaper

You just remove the front plastic, carefully get the front glasselement out and clean it.

That said, I never had to open a DA55-300PLM (a great lens)
but there are some instructions for the standard 55-300:
Technical question to DA 55-300 ED disassembly - PentaxForums.com
05-25-2021, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RocksandRocks Quote
Being in the front group of the lens, that splinter will be utterly inconsequential to image quality, I assure you. I've seen much worse... In fact, some years back I owned the DA18-270, and I noticed a BIG fleck of debris - longer and much wider than the one in your lens - on the front element, and it would frequently migrate from the edge to the centre and everywhere in-between. It didn't affect image quality at all. Eventually, prior to selling that lens, I removed the front element to clean it - and found the source of the problem... dried, excess adhesive that had shaken loose over time.

It's really nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy your lens!

I thought the plm was weather resistent? That should make it impossible to suck up what you are showing in the pics... which may mean it was always in the lens from the factory and only recently moved to the lens element. If under warranty still Id consider sending it in for service. It may also just work itself off the lens elements.
Weather resistance is only resistance... It's not a 100% air-tight seal - otherwise, the telescoping action of the lens couldn't work, since the volume of air inside must change. Any lens that extends when zoomed or focused is susceptible to sucking in dust and debris. That said, it's entirely possible the debris was there at the time of manufacture, or has been generated internally due to component wear over time...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-25-2021 at 01:13 AM.
05-25-2021, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a spider in one of my lenses once.
05-25-2021, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Being in the front group of the lens, that splinter will be utterly inconsequential to image quality, I assure you. I've seen much worse... In fact, some years back I owned the DA18-270, and I noticed a BIG fleck of debris - longer and much wider than the one in your lens - on the front element, and it would frequently migrate from the edge to the centre and everywhere in-between. It didn't affect image quality at all. Eventually, prior to selling that lens, I removed the front element to clean it - and found the source of the problem... dried, excess adhesive that had shaken loose over time.

It's really nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy your lens!

Weather resistance is only resistance... It's not a 100% air-tight seal - otherwise, the telescoping action of the lens couldn't work, since the volume of air inside must change. Any lens that extends when zoomed or focused is susceptible to sucking in dust and debris. That said, it's entirely possible the debris was there at the time of manufacture, or has been generated internally due to component wear over time...
HI Mike,
Nice to see you posting again, missed seeing you around!

I do understand that "WR" isnt water proof and air does get sucked in and out and how lens works. Though I agree that something that size is not going to be an issue on the front element.. I can't see something that size getting sucked into the len past a WR seal.. especially between the two front elements as that appears from the image. I Suppose its possible but if so.. the WR sealS on the plm would probably be of little use against moisture of any kind getting in due its small size. I would not call that debris in images "dust "... it looks pretty.large. again not going to affect the image but the question is whats it indicative of?

The op says he has had the lens since Feb.. 3 months and its should be under warranty if bought new.. if it were me I would send it in for warranty because 1) I would question the lens WR and 2) if it was in there from mfg..it could indicate other potential issues even if its not going to cause image degradation by itself.

Generally when one buys a new lens we want one without complimentary debris. If the lens was bought used.. I would just leave be.. shoot it and not worry much as its not going to affect the image directly.
Al

As an add thought here.. looking closely at the pics. Second image shows 2 of those similarly sized debris particles. That to me indicates more of a chance they are from mfg..just an observation on my part.

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-25-2021 at 04:46 AM.
05-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #10
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
Try taking a picture of an evenly illuminated surface (it can be the sky) with minimum aperture at infinity and minimum distance, for 55 mm.
If you don’t see a speck on the image it’s ok.
05-25-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

HI Mike,
Nice to see you posting again, missed seeing you around!
Thanks, Al I needed a break. After four months, I thought I'd tentatively dip my toe back in the forum waters once more - but I'm being very choosy which forums and threads I get involved in. I'll see how it goes

I do understand that "WR" isnt water proof and air does get sucked in and out and how lens works. Though I agree that something that size is not going to be an issue on the front element.. I can't see something that size getting sucked into the len past a WR seal.. especially between the two front elements as that appears from the image. I Suppose its possible but if so.. the WR sealS on the plm would probably be of little use against moisture of any kind getting in due its small size. I would not call that debris in images "dust "... it looks pretty.large. again not going to affect the image but the question is whats it indicative of?
I think we can all sometimes over-estimate the quality and effectiveness of WR lens "seals" (for want of a better word). In many (most?) cases, they're just simple foam rings sandwiched between the barrel components. They'll reduce the likelihood and quantity of moisture, dust and/or debris getting in (especially the latter), but suction due to zooming is quite likely to overcome that resistance... and I do think it's possible for debris that small to work its way between the barrel and the foam ring. Perhaps not especially likely, but possible.

If the debris has come from the manufacturing process, I'm wondering if it's tiny slivers of the adhesive backing strip from the WR foam ring, or else dried adhesive, similar to the issue with my DA18-270...

The op says he has had the lens since Feb.. 3 months and its should be under warranty if bought new.. if it were me I would send it in for warranty because 1) I would question the lens WR and 2) if it was in there from mfg..it could indicate other potential issues even if its not going to cause image degradation by itself.

Generally when one buys a new lens we want one without complimentary debris. If the lens was bought used.. I would just leave be.. shoot it and not worry much as its not going to affect the image directly.
Al

As an add thought here.. looking closely at the pics. Second image shows 2 of those similarly sized debris particles. That to me indicates more of a chance they are from mfg..just an observation on my part.
Yes, I noticed that second piece too. In all honesty, I hadn't fully read the OP's post to the end, and didn't realise the lens was almost new (my bad ). I guess I wouldn't be overjoyed if my four-month-old lens had debris inside, and like you I might choose to have it serviced or replaced under warranty. That said, I might also keep using it for a while to see if the problem gets any worse before sending it for service nearer to warranty expiration... I've had lenses that came back from service with worse optical performance than they started off with, so if a problem is minor enough that it doesn't affect my use and expectations of a lens, I'm likely to accept it. That's just me, though...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-25-2021 at 06:49 AM.