Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

Diagnosing light leak (??) issue

Hello everyone,

I've been a little underwhelmed by the shots taken with my SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens.

Initially, I thought it was my lack of experience, perhaps even the film stock used, but I've now gotten much better results from my SMC Tak. 28mm f/3.5 lens using the same film stock.

https://i.ibb.co/jfP2pxJ/IMG-0063.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/dbKhfQy/IMG-0056.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Vm56GxZ/IMG-0046.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/4Z1mSRW/IMG-0045.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/FzVy9Jr/IMG-0026.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/bKLYb6h/IMG-0035.jpg

I apologize for the formatting, I don't know how to spoiler pictures, so I've posted the direct links to avoid huge pictures taking up a whole page.

Anyways, as you can see, the last two images do not have these problems. These were all shot on Superia X-tra 400, albeit they were shot at different times of the day, under different lighting conditions. No editing done on these, you can still see the dust.

Not every picture comes out like this, I picked out the worst ones, but I'm generally not the happiest with the colors I'm getting.

I'm shocked by how much better the colors come out on the 28mm lens over the 55mm.

How would you folks diagnose this? Is this still a user issue, me just needing more practice? Or is there truly an issue with the lens or even camera body here?

Thank you.

Last edited by santinowuzhere; 05-27-2021 at 10:32 AM.
05-27-2021, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Looks like there may be two issues here, first, a possible light leak, secondly flaring or other lack of contrast within the lens.
For the first, try sealing the edges of the rear door of the camera with opaque black tape, some tape over the DX window may be necessary as well.
For the overall loss of contrast, look through the lens for any "mistiness", excessive dust (a small amount is 'normal') or scratches.
I'm assuming all pictures were taken with the camera to the eye. If not there may be light leaks occurring through the viewfinder.
Light leaks from the "front" of the camera or viewfinder will not usually show in the film margins, by the sprocket holes. Light leaks from the rear of the camera, door seals etc. will usually be apparent in the film margins, often more intense towards the edge of the film.
Good luck
05-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Looks like there may be two issues here, first, a possible light leak, secondly flaring or other lack of contrast within the lens.
For the first, try sealing the edges of the rear door of the camera with opaque black tape, some tape over the DX window may be necessary as well.
For the overall loss of contrast, look through the lens for any "mistiness", excessive dust (a small amount is 'normal') or scratches.
I'm assuming all pictures were taken with the camera to the eye. If not there may be light leaks occurring through the viewfinder.
Light leaks from the "front" of the camera or viewfinder will not usually show in the film margins, by the sprocket holes. Light leaks from the rear of the camera, door seals etc. will usually be apparent in the film margins, often more intense towards the edge of the film.
Good luck
I didn't even consider potential light flare, that absolutely makes sense. Thank you for your input, I'll try to see if I can give your suggestions a try soon.

Could a UV filter also impact the quality this much? The 28mm has a newer Hoya filter, while the 55mm is fitted with a Hoya filter that came with my Praktica and its Pentacon lens, so I don't know the history of the filter, just that it's in decent condition.
05-27-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by santinowuzhere Quote
I didn't even consider potential light flare, that absolutely makes sense. Thank you for your input, I'll try to see if I can give your suggestions a try soon.

Could a UV filter also impact the quality this much? The 28mm has a newer Hoya filter, while the 55mm is fitted with a Hoya filter that came with my Praktica and its Pentacon lens, so I don't know the history of the filter, just that it's in decent condition.
Take the pictures with the filters of the lenses. Filters can cause problems, if you remove the filters you can more easily establish whether the lens is at fault.

05-27-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How would you folks diagnose this? Is this still a user issue, me just needing more practice? Or is there truly an issue with the lens or even camera body here?
Because of the relatively hard edges, I vote light leak. It would help to know what camera you are using, whether they were home processed, and how they were scanned. The usual suspects would be the felt at the film door hinge or the felt light trap on the film canister itself.

Steve
05-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Because of the relatively hard edges, I vote light leak. It would help to know what camera you are using, whether they were home processed, and how they were scanned. The usual suspects would be the felt at the film door hinge or the felt light trap on the film canister itself.

Steve

Praktica LTL
Home processed w/ Cinestill C41 kit (7&8th roll developed)
Scanned with Canoscan 9000f, flatbed scanner.

I looked at the light seals, and noticed that there was a black rope/string in the crevices instead of foam. Will give it a more thorough inspection when I get home.

I'm carrying a Spotmatic right now with B&W film. Will see how this one goes, I've got a light seal replacement for the Spotmatic that I'll likely install after this roll.
05-27-2021, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I looked at the light seals, and noticed that there was a black rope/string in the crevices instead of foam. Will give it a more thorough inspection when I get home.
The doped twine light seals on your LTL were installed at the factory and should last the life of the camera. They are a step up from foam. The felt at the door hinge seldom fails, but that is where I would look.

Added: The assumption is that the film door is not bent and engages the seals.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-27-2021 at 02:33 PM.
05-27-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I would also suggest that it may be a case of the viewfinder being uncovered during longer exposures. I experienced that when I first started doing longer exposures on my tripod. I use the end of a black sock that I cut off to put over the viewfinder.
05-31-2021, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update: I replaced the seal on the door hinge with adhesive backed felt, and three rolls later, no signs of any light leak!!

Thanks everyone!